Procycling thread

myshkin

On 01/08/2023 at 18:42, well fan for life said:

I can't see it getting to a bunch sprint. It's a mental technical course and I reckon if someone gets any leeway in a break they'll never be seen again. MVDP and his all or nothing racing will be class to see.

I mean I called it but I put f**k all money on it. Thought that would be dull and stuck a tenner on Asgreen after he was going well at the Tour.

Just MVDP battering past my front door on his final lap. That fall and the fact he got up and took time out of the chasers was incredible. 

That was a fantastic day’s sport, amazing to see these guys in real time. A61F93F0-D66D-46AC-A14E-65A1A16B2105.thumb.png.2811a2ed0dabb66a1d63752d2d6725b1.png

That was some ride from MVDP.

It was going to take something special to rip the race away from one of the Belgians I felt and MVDP - when he did decide it was time to go - was nothing but class all the way to the finish.

I anticipated a tight, cagey race, but he blew everyone away. So impressive.

Some ride from Pogacar to hang on for bronze - I didn't see that coming with him rolling in the van Aert and Pedersen.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

16 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Great to see my local hills, roads I cycle on, our local Co-op, the farm our veggie boxes come from on live telly. And then a top Italian rider comes off his bike outside a favourite takeaway shop!

Passing thought, possibly petty and tinpot: Scotland are the host nation here. Lots of SCOTLAND and GLASGOW SCOTLAND branding everywhere, spectators waving Scottish flags etc.

Yet we're not, and as things stand can't be, a competing nation.

Could that happen anywhere else?

Yorkshire 2019

Flanders

Basque County

Catalunya

Etc 

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

Couple of pictures from yesterday.

IMG_0640.thumb.jpeg.7e6f6828aaff94ea5ad5836d0511d215.jpeg

IMG_0628.thumb.jpeg.3e4f51da3961b9384eacd5f8fad8e9e0.jpeg

IMG_0627.thumb.jpeg.853eb59498104b11f84cc460b3521e2f.jpeg

Great pics, especially the top one - terrifying how much they lean into corners.

30 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

You must be speedy!!  Or is it on a segment from the place they were stationary for about an hour 🤣

Short segments - the power these guys can sustain for 6 hours, I can sustain for 1-2 minutes!

Edited by Gnash

Raging I had to miss this live as it went pretty close by during the Fife segment and rewatching it this morning (being the Saddo I am, I recorded the whole thing mainly to see the bits in my area then the final couple of laps of the circuit, but ended up watching quite a lot of it). You can see on the faces of some of the spectators in the quieter sections that they are blown away by how fast they are going and that's with it being a fairly stable peloton in the first part of the race before the stoppage. 

3 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

That was some ride from MVDP.

It was going to take something special to rip the race away from one of the Belgians I felt and MVDP - when he did decide it was time to go - was nothing but class all the way to the finish.

I anticipated a tight, cagey race, but he blew everyone away. So impressive.

Some ride from Pogacar to hang on for bronze - I didn't see that coming with him rolling in the van Aert and Pedersen.

Just wondering in hindsight if MVDP firing up Montrose St on Friday has a hint of rope a dope about it, to get the others thinking that's where he was most likely to attack when he had it in mind to go for it on Great George Street all along. 

I see at George Sq after the race Pogacar was on camera jokingly (I think) moaning to the UCI that it was two laps too much and that if they'd added just one more lap he'd have needed an ambulance.

Seeing a stat that it's also the World Champs with the lowest completion rate. Apparently a lot of the peloton were blown away by how dificult the circuit actually was.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

25 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I see at George Sq after the race Pogacar was on camera jokingly (I think) moaning to the UCI that it was two laps too much and that if they'd added just one more lap he'd have needed an ambulance.

Seeing a stat that it's also the World Champs with the lowest completion rate. Apparently a lot of the peloton were blown away by how dificult the circuit actually was.

They had to go up Scott Street and Montrose Street 10 times each. That's a fucking nightmare even without the other 270-odd kilometres!

I done a lap of the circuit on my Brompton there. Mental that you can just go for a ride exactly where MVDP attacked to become world champion. Now I love my Brompton, but doing Montrose Street and Scott Street on it is nae fun.

Had a superb day watching it. Also met Matt Stephens, David Millar and Ned Boulting 😂.

Edited by well fan for life

30 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Posted further up that there were 51 finishers, compared to 12 at the Commonwealth Games on largely the same circuit. The pace was just utterly relentless, and plenty of guys obviously sacked it once they were off the pace as they knew they weren't getting back anywhere near the front. Would be a few thinking they would save their efforts for the time trial too.

8 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I done a lap of the circuit on my Brompton there. Mental that you can just go for a ride exactly where MVDP attacked to become world champion. Now I love my Brompton, but doing Montrose Street and Scott Street on it is nae fun.

Had a superb day watching it. Also met Matt Stephens, David Millar and Ned Boulting 😂.

Was weird (but good!) having Boulting and of course Boardman on the BBC coverage (which I assume was some kind of UCI World Feed?). Was also strange hearing Ned say that he'd been speaking to Millar that morning but him not being alongside him.