Procycling thread

myshkin

1 hour ago, sparky88 said:

Thought these guys had met their match with the hills in Glasgow, apparently not. 

Not for a minute suggesting they will find it tough, bit it's still an impressive turn of speed up a hill I know well from driving up it most days.

Weather forecast looking not too bad for Sunday now, still a chance of showers and a breeze of 12/13 mph. Certainly doesn't look as if it's going to be as wet as the Commonwealth road race was.

I just rode the route on my sh*tty old mountain bike, I have to say it is pretty tough with lots of ramps and bumps (I’m not a hard core cyclist by any means). Great George St, the bit up Kelvingrove park and obviously Montrose St take it out of your legs.

Great fun riding through the streets with the course pretty much to yourself, bar a couple of other like-minded people. Definitely a once in a long time opportunity, and no-one told me to beat it at any point despite the G4S guys already being out in force at 6.30am115CE2B9-5F71-45B6-8BBF-506E15DC04FD.thumb.jpeg.479aed8e9bcad5db61621438270c3c16.jpeg

1 hour ago, Snobot said:

I just rode the route on my sh*tty old mountain bike, I have to say it is pretty tough with lots of ramps and bumps (I’m not a hard core cyclist by any means). Great George St, the bit up Kelvingrove park and obviously Montrose St take it out of your legs.

Great fun riding through the streets with the course pretty much to yourself, bar a couple of other like-minded people. Definitely a once in a long time opportunity, and no-one told me to beat it at any point despite the G4S guys already being out in force at 6.30am115CE2B9-5F71-45B6-8BBF-506E15DC04FD.thumb.jpeg.479aed8e9bcad5db61621438270c3c16.jpeg

Brings back memories of ‘City Centre Cycling’ on Channel 4.

48 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Brings back memories of ‘City Centre Cycling’ on Channel 4.

They brought it back a few years ago on ITV4. One of the races was in Kirkcaldy and working there I thought it might be a good watch. A wee loop through Beveridge Park, down to the Esplanade and round by Volunteer Green maybe? Nope. A circuit that went on a one way access road behind the shops on the high street, backed by a shopping centre that at the time only had about 2 open shops and has since been demolished, and littered with speed bumps and potholes. It wasn't a good watch.

15 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I have short Achilles (leg splints as kid) and that hill kills my legs everytime and I end up like a pensioner by the ncp car park!

It's years since I cycled even semi regularly, I doubt there is a gear set in existence I could get up there with 

17 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

It's years since I cycled even semi regularly, I doubt there is a gear set in existence I could get up there with 

Should have cut through the Royal College and got the lift up to the James Weir.*

Junior women’s race is on at the moment. Just saw a couple of them cruising up the hill in Kelvingrove at the back of Glasgow Uni with very little effort tbh!

*Strathclyde alumni will find this hilarious, other institutions need not apply.

That was a great mens Elite MTB DH final (or what I saw as I flicked between that and the U-23 Mens Road Race). I don't watch MTB much but it was amazing seeing the course change and that winning run including the epic slide at the ends was something else!!