Procycling thread

myshkin

Following on from Philipsen’s actions today, there may be some credence to stories of the clock being wound back 20 years.

Would appear bullying is rife again?

Edited by kiddy

Great stage today.  Valliant attempt by Pinot but the GC boys showed their class and delighted for Pog to get the stage, albeit that's very much 2nd prize.   Great showing by the Yates's as well.

I remember an interview with self-confessed doper David Millar that after he stopped doping he was still able to perform brilliantly on some days, just not day after day after day.  For that reason I believe Pog is genuine.  He is brilliant, a lot of the time, but has bad days too.  Can't say the same for everyone...

Prescient post below, although it didn't happen the way I expected.

On 05/07/2023 at 20:57, Gnash said:

No, I think Vingegaard will win by 5+ minutes.

1 hour ago, Gnash said:

Great stage today.  Valliant attempt by Pinot but the GC boys showed their class and delighted for Pog to get the stage, albeit that's very much 2nd prize.   Great showing by the Yates's as well.

I remember an interview with self-confessed doper David Millar that after he stopped doping he was still able to perform brilliantly on some days, just not day after day after day.  For that reason I believe Pog is genuine.  He is brilliant, a lot of the time, but has bad days too.  Can't say the same for everyone...

Prescient post below, although it didn't happen the way I expected.

Millar & ITV's fawning over the ITT performance was sick bucket inducing,

Fairly interesting tactics from Pog yesterday. Were his attacks in protest at Philipsen publicly scolding Eenkhoorn a few days ago when he tried to join the break? That was my initial thought when I saw him go off the front.

Piss poor from Jumbo following Pog too. You have 7.29 on the guy and we're in Paris for the final sprint. He's not taking that time back. Calm down lads.

From watching yesterday, it was evident Pog was in the bunch heading into the final corner. Word was that Vingegaard and Jumbo had sat up to roll in and crossed the line 2 mins down on the bunch sprint, but I see he still beat Pog by 7.29. Not sure how that worked out.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

1 hour ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Word was that Vingegaard and Jumbo had sat up to roll in and crossed the line 2 mins down on the bunch sprint, but I see he still beat Pog by 7.29. Not sure how that worked out.

Don't they basically freeze GC time gaps? There was the case a few years back where 4th place was only a second or so back from 3rd (might have been Landa?) and there was I guess a scenario where if he finishes a couple of bike lengths ahead of the other GC riders then he'd have jumped onto the podium. They do always say that it's just by convention that the Yellow Jersey isn't attacked but it wouldn't surprise me of they made it up as they go along and have actually thought about that sort of thing?

13 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

See that Vinegaard is going to la Vuelta, with Remco defending his title there. Not sure what Ineos are planning, but it sounds like Pogacar is giving it a miss and perhaps doing the Worlds in Scotland instead.

Given his performance at the tour and the apparent lack of talent challengers apart from Remco, Vingegaard could easily be minutes clear by the first rest day. Be interesting to see how much time he can put into people up the Angliru and the Tourmalet 

17 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

See that Vinegaard is going to la Vuelta, with Remco defending his title there. Not sure what Ineos are planning, but it sounds like Pogacar is giving it a miss and perhaps doing the Worlds in Scotland instead.

Geraint Thomas is Vuelta-bound.

f**k me. I just saw the Vuelta starts with a team time trial. Jumbo could have this wrapped up on stage 1.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

That Belgium road race squad is cracked beyond belief. Got to imagine the only issue is managing a whole load of guys who could all feasibly win it in whatever way the race comes down to.

IMG_7019.thumb.jpeg.c95436f4503b6d4ce8f1f86b8a067f9b.jpeg

MVDP and van Baarle for the Netherlands are also absolute hitters.

If it's anything like the Commonwealth road race it'll be attritional and will be won by whoever is the hardest b*****d on the road that day.

3 hours ago, well fan for life said:

That Belgium road race squad is cracked beyond belief. Got to imagine the only issue is managing a whole load of guys who could all feasibly win it in whatever way the race comes down to.

IMG_7019.thumb.jpeg.c95436f4503b6d4ce8f1f86b8a067f9b.jpeg

MVDP and van Baarle for the Netherlands are also absolute hitters.

If it's anything like the Commonwealth road race it'll be attritional and will be won by whoever is the hardest b*****d on the road that day.

If the Belgians had any sense they’d be riding for Philipsen.

1 minute ago, kiddy said:

I can't see it getting to a bunch sprint. It's a mental technical course and I reckon if someone gets any leeway in a break they'll never be seen again. MVDP and his all or nothing racing will be class to see.

19 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Would any other country pull on the front to control the break if they went all out for Philipsen? What are the team sizes? Remember at the London 2012 Olympics nobody would ride because everyone knew if Cavendish was anywhere near the front it was a foregone conclusion so they basically let the break go.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

I can't see it getting to a bunch sprint. It's a mental technical course and I reckon if someone gets any leeway in a break they'll never be seen again. MVDP and his all or nothing racing will be class to see.

What’s mental & technical about doing the Crow Road once, from the Fintry side & then what effectively is a City Centre Criterium?🤷‍♂️

Last time there was a championship in Glasgow it came down to a sprint between WVA, MVDP & Trentin!🙄