Procycling thread

myshkin

18 minutes ago, Gnash said:

No, I think Vingegaard will win by 5+ minutes.

With Pogacar almost being a full minute faster than in 2020, Vingegaard’s ride was “unbelievable” as Greg Lemond might say.🤨

2068D198-3E2E-466C-81BF-68DEA61D5BBD.jpeg

1 hour ago, kiddy said:

With Pogacar almost being a full minute faster than in 2020, Vingegaard’s ride was “unbelievable” as Greg Lemond might say.🤨

2068D198-3E2E-466C-81BF-68DEA61D5BBD.jpeg

Big tailwind maybe?

It really is a good time to be a fan. After Sky's dominance, I wondered if Bernal was just going to continue that trend and while we'll never know what would have happened without that injury, it looks like that wouldn't have been the case anyway. Just when Jumbo look to be building a super squad (Roglic, Dumoulin, van Aart, etc) UAE and Pogacar come from nowhere. Then Vinegaard pretty much does the same. And there's still the likes of Hinkley, Geogan Hart and Remco who have all won big races and are going to be around for a while. Each Grand Tour can have three or four legitimate big hitters and still produce stages that compare with anything I've ever seen. I'm just raging my 3 year old doesn't let me sit with Gary, Ned and the boys all day during the summer and I have to wait on the highlights at 7 each night!

8 hours ago, kiddy said:

Looks to me like the days of Armstrong & Ulrich have returned.

It’s almost as if it’s being flaunted right in front of you.

I don't know - they never had a bad day, whereas each of the big hitters across all the teams ate capable and have had days when the legs just can't keep up and they lose time. I think it's just the rise of the super domestique (yeah OK so LeMond and Hignault would say been there, done that) and catching guys with incredible physiology quicker. I know you're more cynical than I am and maybe I'm a bit naive but the fact the likes of Geraint Thomas can still just about hang on in there makes me hope that it's all OK.

I think having someone like Pogacar has changed the dynamic of the tour completely. Gone are the days of the sky train on the defensive cancelling everything out so their team leader has an armchair ride, Pogacar is on the offensive all the time which makes for fantastic viewing and brings the best out of others also.

2 hours ago, Gnash said:

So close for Cav.  I was going mental when he shot out from behind.  But Philipsen is Cavving this tour.

Some effort and came so close considering he was doing it all himself at the end. Said he had a gear problem in the sprint changing from 11th up to 12th.

6 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Some effort and came so close considering he was doing it all himself at the end. Said he had a gear problem in the sprint changing from 11th up to 12th.

Yeah, said the alignment was slightly out & jumping back & forth.

More interesting was the protest from Girmay’s team over Philipsens sprint, as he jumped from the middle of the road to get onto Cav’s move, forcing Girmay to the barrier & baulk the African.

Relegation would have given Cav the record. Not the way you’d want it, but there was clear evidence from the overhead shot to justify it.

Good to see Cav is competitive & right in the hunt though.

6 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Outright most wins on the Tour but for a half turn on the barrel adjuster. 😖

52 minutes ago, kiddy said:

More interesting was the protest from Girmay’s team over Philipsens sprint, as he jumped from the middle of the road to get onto Cav’s move, forcing Girmay to the barrier & baulk the African.

Relegation would have given Cav the record. Not the way you’d want it, but there was clear evidence from the overhead shot to justify it.

Good to see Cav is competitive & right in the hunt though.

Thought Phillipsen was very lucky not to get relegated tbh.

In other news, the road through Lennoxtown is closed over the weekend as it is getting resurfaced ahead of the World Championships.

15 hours ago, Gnash said:

Outright most wins on the Tour but for a half turn on the barrel adjuster. 😖

Sounded really gutted, as if he knew he had it in the bag, until his mechanical.