Procycling thread

myshkin

Pidcock takes Amstel Gold, from Hirschi & Benoot. MVDP finished in the peloton & didnae look interested/have the legs. Given that Flèche Wallonne is midweek & Liege-Bastogne-Liege next Sunday would suggest the former; seeing he doesn’t have them in his palmares yet.

Womens race was eventful, policeman taken to hospital after a collision with a car. Then the ‘winner’ raising her hands aloft, as she crossed the line. Only to be beaten by rim on a lunge at the line by Marianna Vos!🫣🤦🏻‍♂️😂🤣😂

Edited by kiddy

1 hour ago, kiddy said:

Pidcock takes Amstel Gold, from Hirschi & Benoot. MVDP finished in the peloton & didnae look interested/have the legs. Given that Flèche Wallonne is midweek & Liege-Bastogne-Liege next Sunday would suggest the former; seeing he doesn’t have them in his palmares yet.

Womens race was eventful, policeman taken to hospital after a collision with a car. Then the ‘winner’ raising her hands aloft, as she crossed the line. Only to be beaten by rim on a lunge at the line by Marianna Vos!🫣🤦🏻‍♂️😂🤣😂

How many 'look at me, hands in the air, oh shit' losers so far this year been caught on the line....

especially at Amstel, see T.Pidcock '21....

14 hours ago, Bob in Denny said:

How many 'look at me, hands in the air, oh shit' losers so far this year been caught on the line....

especially at Amstel, see T.Pidcock '21....

I was surprised to see him ever riding Amstel after that. He was truly shafted over that one.

8 hours ago, kiddy said:

I was surprised to see him ever riding Amstel after that. He was truly shafted over that one.

I still find it unbelievable that you would position the photo finish camera 50cm before the finish line.....

especially with the well defined finish line...

I'm not right up the rules but the finish line has to be the 'finish', surely?

incorrect placed photo finish equipment can't be..

I think Mr Pidcock doesn't want to say much TBH....

I know what my thoughts would have been....

On 06/04/2024 at 17:27, kiddy said:

Update on Vingegaard, broke collar bone, several ribs & a collapsed lung, in the crash the other day. Remco broke his collar bone &  shoulder blade whilst Vine fractured 3 vertebrae.

I also see Landa got carted off to hospital on a stretcher yesterday.

That's terrible news.

Riders health apart, I was looking forward to a TdF with Remco vs Jonas vs Roglic vs Pogacar.

An horrendous crash involving Chris Harper in todays Stage of the Tour of the Alps. Was leading the stage, when he hit a kerb, on a downhill, & went headfirst into a lamppost.

Fortunately pictured sitting up, following it, before being carted off to hospital.

Edited by kiddy

10 hours ago, kiddy said:

An horrendous crash involving Chris Harper in todays Stage of the Tour of the Alps. Was leading the stage, when he hit a kerb, on a downhill, & went headfirst into a lamppost.

Fortunately pictured sitting up, following it, before being carted off to hospital.

Someone flying off at the same bit when some spectators came to offer assistance too. Crazy. Glad he seems ok.

On 19/04/2024 at 13:39, Salvo Montalbano said:

Someone flying off at the same bit when some spectators came to offer assistance too. Crazy. Glad he seems ok.

Was Ben O’Connor, who was sitting 2nd at the time.

La Doyenne today, Liege-Bastogne-Liege, the oldest of the monuments.

The big showdown between Pogi & MVDP.

Would like to think Pidcock might be involved in the shake up, but those two are on a different level altogether.

There's been some breath-taking long-range solo attacks this classics season.

But f**k me it hasn't half been boring. It is quite the thing to watch, but it just takes away from a cracking run in to the finish.

Pogi and MVDP have dominated by making it a fairly tame watch.

Strade Bianchi, Pogi goes solo with 80k to go. MVDP won E3 after going solo at 43k to go. In Flanders, MVDP won after going solo with 45k to go. MVDP won Paris Roubaix, going solo with 60k to go. Pogi wOn LBL, going solo with 35k to go.

Impressive as hell, but not exactly exciting racing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pogi applying the pressure both days, conservatively IMO; one attack each day making the difference & sticking other contenders into the red & in trouble. Surprising to see who has come into this NOT in form & shipping time already.

1 hour ago, kiddy said:

Pogi applying the pressure both days, conservatively IMO; one attack each day making the difference & sticking other contenders into the red & in trouble. Surprising to see who has come into this NOT in form & shipping time already.

It was interesting that the Giro organisers went for such tough stages so soon - no TT, sprint stage or procession to start here. Of the other contenders, only Thomas and to a certain extent O'Connor have looked like they are in any sort of form. Think Pogacar winning with Thomas on the podium was a popular prediction and at this early stage that looks a solid bet, injury/crashes and illness notwithstanding. Also feels weird not having a yellow train at the front after last year. 

36 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

It was interesting that the Giro organisers went for such tough stages so soon - no TT, sprint stage or procession to start here. Of the other contenders, only Thomas and to a certain extent O'Connor have looked like they are in any sort of form. Think Pogacar winning with Thomas on the podium was a popular prediction and at this early stage that looks a solid bet, injury/crashes and illness notwithstanding. Also feels weird not having a yellow train at the front after last year. 

Bearing in mind it took an “unbelievable”, as Greg Lemond might say, ITT to stop GT winning the Maglia Rosa.

Sprint stage today. So look for Milan, Groves, Merlier, Jacobsen & Ewan to take centre stage. Easy day at the office for UAE.

Pogacar virtually nailing the Giro win. Beating Ganna by 17 secs, to take the ITT& put 1.50 into Dani Martinez & 2.00 into Thomas.

Leads them by 2.36 & 2.46 respectively. I would think, if he’s aspirations on the Giro/Tour double, he should now ride conservatively/defensively for the remainder of the Giro.

2 hours ago, kiddy said:

Pogacar virtually nailing the Giro win. Beating Ganna by 17 secs, to take the ITT& put 1.50 into Dani Martinez & 2.00 into Thomas.

Leads them by 2.36 & 2.46 respectively. I would think, if he’s aspirations on the Giro/Tour double, he should now ride conservatively/defensively for the remainder of the Giro.

Didn't get the memo today...

Yesterday's ITT was funny in a way - one team had 2nd, 3rd, 4th and another in the top 10; they also had a man in the top 3 overall in GC but in the end it was a pretty awful day for Ineos with Ganna being pipped after being in the hot seat for so long and Thomas not only losing time to Pogacar but also dropping a place in GC. Such is sport I guess!

I know the Giro parcours was designed with getting Pogacar to come in mind, and the injuries etc have meant other teams are a bit weaker than maybe you'd have hoped, but it's been a procession. Thomas v Martinez v O'Connor for the podium places means it's still worth watching of course and there's always illness/a crash but this race is done before the first rest day. 

3 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Didn't get the memo today...

Yesterday's ITT was funny in a way - one team had 2nd, 3rd, 4th and another in the top 10; they also had a man in the top 3 overall in GC but in the end it was a pretty awful day for Ineos with Ganna being pipped after being in the hot seat for so long and Thomas not only losing time to Pogacar but also dropping a place in GC. Such is sport I guess!

I know the Giro parcours was designed with getting Pogacar to come in mind, and the injuries etc have meant other teams are a bit weaker than maybe you'd have hoped, but it's been a procession. Thomas v Martinez v O'Connor for the podium places means it's still worth watching of course and there's always illness/a crash but this race is done before the first rest day. 

Didn’t get the memo, but left it till the last 200m, one blast & it was in the bag. Would love for him to make a proper tilt at the double. Injuries to Vingegaard/Roglic & Remco might well aid that, but he’d still be better tempering his mad crazy racer attitude to do it.

On 11/05/2024 at 14:30, kiddy said:

Definitely.