Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Despite the abysmal Academy sound, Father John Misty was great last night. Hilariously over the top frontman but Hollywood Forever Cemetery and Ideal Husband were superb.

Managed to snag a freebie for Ghostface Killah tonight at Saint Lukes which should be interesting, then got Isaac Gracie at the Poetry Club on Monday. Never been to the Poetry Club before, anyone know if its any good? Also roughly what time headliners usually come onstage?

Despite the abysmal Academy sound, Father John Misty was great last night. Hilariously over the top frontman but Hollywood Forever Cemetery and Ideal Husband were superb.

Managed to snag a freebie for Ghostface Killah tonight at Saint Lukes which should be interesting, then got Isaac Gracie at the Poetry Club on Monday. Never been to the Poetry Club before, anyone know if its any good? Also roughly what time headliners usually come onstage?

Been to the Poetry Club when it's open for Pressure and all-venue SWG3 events and it's good. Tiny but good vibe with a balcony view that's great.

I thought it was ok but not great and left a bit disappointed but that might be because the only other time I've seen him was at the Park Stage at Glastonbury. Midweek academy was never going to compare.

Did you hear his interview on 6 music today? I couldn't hear it properly (some selfish people in the office were actually working) but the bits I heard were awkward at best.

I thought it was good. Not great though. They slightly rejigged a lot of the songs. A couple of songs got a proper going over. In some cases it just didn't work. "Thunderbirds Are Go" turned from a tremendous live song the last time to an absolute mess this time. "Who's David" was a fair bit worse too. It definitely worked at times though. "Dawson's Geek" sounded absolutely tremendous, and the usually bland "You Said No" was great. "What I Go to School For" could have done with sounding the way it did tonight when it first came out. The new stuff was encouragingly impressive, and the stuff that they just left alone sounded great. The highlights were probably the encore closers of "3am" and "Year 3000".

Like at the SECC, a lot of stuff fell flat and the bigger sounding songs worked brilliantly for the most part.

Been to the Poetry Club when it's open for Pressure and all-venue SWG3 events and it's good. Tiny but good vibe with a balcony view that's great.

Thanks! Isaac Gracie is probably the polar opposite of that, so it should be interesting.

I thought it was ok but not great and left a bit disappointed but that might be because the only other time I've seen him was at the Park Stage at Glastonbury. Midweek academy was never going to compare.

Did you hear his interview on 6 music today? I couldn't hear it properly (some selfish people in the office were actually working) but the bits I heard were awkward at best.

His interview was great. He comes across as a total arsehole, but I think I would as well if I had to deal with the utter fudsticks that are Radcliffe & Maconie. iPlayer it to hear it all. It's absolute car crash listening.

His interview was great. He comes across as a total arsehole, but I think I would as well if I had to deal with the utter fudsticks that are Radcliffe & Maconie. iPlayer it to hear it all. It's absolute car crash listening.

Now now, I like Radcliffe & Maconie 😡

I do too.

Father John Misty is a self-important creep. I think that's obvious from his lyrics. Great live show though, no question.

He disappeared up his own arse about the same time he took on his current pseudonym.

He struck hipster gold though.

I thought it was apparent that the whole Father John Misty thing was an act? Even by his live show, he takes on this diva persona and acts it in interviews and everything else. The reason the interview was so awkward is because Radcliffe and Maconie just didn't "get it". Even the slightest bit of research by them or their producers should have anticipated it in advance, and so FJM just lapped it up getting the reactions he was wanting. 

I get that its a totally wanky thing to do, and usually I don't particularly like him in those scenarios, but when he just completely took the piss out of them, it was great entertainment.