Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Went to see We Are Scientists last week in Zürich. Venue was a pub called Neo which held around 100 people tops. 2 foot from the stage through necessity. Outstanding gig. Ended up talking to them after the gig. Boys were sound as f**k.

Tempted to get tickets for their gig at King Tuts in September as I plan a visit home around then anyway.

I'm going to the Tuts one.

I'm also going to Tuts. They were phenomenal at Stag & Dagger this year and I'm digging their new stuff. Seen them live about 7 or 8 times and they've always been great.

Also echo what folk are saying about them being sound. Met them in Variety after their Stag & Dagger set and they were brand new. 

Arab Strap reunion at barras on October 15th. EERMAAAHHGEEERD.

Arab Strap tickets purchased.

Got the Oran Mor all-dayer on Sunday which should be decent, then the Deslondes on Monday at Broadcast.

Also bought Arab Strap tickets.

P&B lads night oot with Malcom and Aiden. Genuinley hyped as wasn't that aware of them when played ABC in 06, but would consider them one of my favourite bands of all time. The Last Romance :wub:

P&B lads night oot with Malcom and Aiden. Genuinley hyped as wasn't that aware of them when played ABC in 06, but would consider them one of my favourite bands of all time. The Last Romance :wub:

I'm in the same boat. They weren't on my radar until I saw Aidan Moffat play Leeds festival in 2009 then that got me into their music. Always thought there would be a chance I'd see them live but I'm ecstatic that it's actually happening.

Missed out on tickets. Was up at 9am but getting ready to check out, completely forgetting until around 9:45 :bairn: My mate might have a spare but it means the guy I was meant to buy them for misses out. Hopefully they'll do another gig.

Was only made aware of them around 2010/2011. Seen Aidan and Malcolm separately, within a few days of each other, but that doesn't count. Narrowly missed out on tickets for the gig they did for Sleazy's 25th anniversary. Went to Sleazy's anyway and asked Aidan in the toilets if there was a chance of getting in, but there was nothing he could do. Even used a Sharpie to imitate the Sleazy's stamp on my hand but they were having none of it.

Ty Segall at the Art School on Wednesday. Never been there before, so will be a nice change.

As for Ty, if anyone who likes BJM or similar, I'd highly recommend Manipulator, it's probably Ty's masterpiece. As long as I hear 3 or 4 songs from that, I'll be delighted.

I was there last night as well, and it was. Shame Broadcast was pretty empty though.

I was right down the front with my mate. It felt as if the place was about a third full compared to nights I've been in when it's been packed. I don't like it as a venue but I've seen a few great gigs in the place. The gig space is cramped - the ceiling is really low compared to a basement space like Stereo - and the bar is just really dingy. Toilets are horrible. I know those aren't the most rock and roll moans but it detracts from the venue.

Headliners were excellent, as expected. Really high class musicians who form a tight band and the vocals mesh brilliantly. Twain supporting was ok - I can see myself listening to his stuff if I was in the mood for it but it wasnt something I could listen to a lot of. The first support was poor. The fake american singing accent was testing and anybody who pronounces the word "fugazi" as "foogayzee" needs to stop. Just naw!

I think it would have been a better gig at the Woodend. The guy who runs gigs in there as "Sounds in the Suburbs" sells tickets to a well developed crowd who either follow his shows or know him through going to gigs. The venue is great, he'd have easily sold a good number of tickets and it would have been a great night. Nobody wants to be at a gig until nearly 11:30 on a Monday night. I got home nearer to 12:45 by the time I dropped my friend off and didnt turn in much before 1:30. 4 hours sleep and work today is a struggle.

A worthwhile struggle for that headline set, but still a struggle.

Captains Rest was a superior pub and venue compared to its Sauchihall St attempt at Broadcast. Really miss that place.

I saw Chad Van Gaalen in there quite a few years ago the night I found out I was going to be a parent. Tiny place, did it even have a 'stage'? Seem to remember there being a 6 inch raised platform or something.

T'was a great night, I ended up blootered and the other half had to remain stone cold sober.  :thumsup2

I was right down the front with my mate. It felt as if the place was about a third full compared to nights I've been in when it's been packed. I don't like it as a venue but I've seen a few great gigs in the place. The gig space is cramped - the ceiling is really low compared to a basement space like Stereo - and the bar is just really dingy. Toilets are horrible. I know those aren't the most rock and roll moans but it detracts from the venue.

Headliners were excellent, as expected. Really high class musicians who form a tight band and the vocals mesh brilliantly. Twain supporting was ok - I can see myself listening to his stuff if I was in the mood for it but it wasnt something I could listen to a lot of. The first support was poor. The fake american singing accent was testing and anybody who pronounces the word "fugazi" as "foogayzee" needs to stop. Just naw!

I think it would have been a better gig at the Woodend. The guy who runs gigs in there as "Sounds in the Suburbs" sells tickets to a well developed crowd who either follow his shows or know him through going to gigs. The venue is great, he'd have easily sold a good number of tickets and it would have been a great night. Nobody wants to be at a gig until nearly 11:30 on a Monday night. I got home nearer to 12:45 by the time I dropped my friend off and didnt turn in much before 1:30. 4 hours sleep and work today is a struggle.

A worthwhile struggle for that headline set, but still a struggle.

I was up the back. Broadcast is totally hit and miss. Agree with you on all complaints about the place, and have also seen some great gigs there, but that had little to do with the venue because the sound in there is pretty poor. I have no idea why promoters put country/americana gigs on in there because it doesn't work. I know that PCL take most of those gigs and just put them on there because its their venue, but booking agents need to be more savvy to this thing because I've been to a lot of acoustic or country gigs in there and come away very disappointed because the venue doesn't suit that sort of sound.

I've heard of Sounds of The Suburbs but never been to one of their gigs but I agree something like that would've been more appropriate. I was thinking last night that the gig would have been perfect had it been put on by the Fallen Angels Club, who do a similar thing. I know a lot of people who go to gigs put on by them or listen to bands just because it is them (or he) who has booked them (myself included).

The stage time was supposed to be 9.45 and I had arrived there 5 minutes before then as I was there myself, so I was a bit pissed that it was running late (another complaint I have about Broadcast gigs). It meant that I caught the end of Twain's set, which turned out to be alright. He was far better as the Deslondes steel/fiddle player though. Agree that it's something that you need to be in the mood to listen to though, thought he sounded a lot like Josh T Pearson. The Deslondes really were great though, the more I think about it. The new stuff they played sounded really good as well so the next record should be class.

Captains Rest was a superior pub and venue compared to its Sauchihall St attempt at Broadcast. Really miss that place.

The Captain's Rest is still the best venue I've ever been to. All the complaints about Broadcast applied to it but they got away with it because the venue and bar were just so good. The Hug & Pint is the closest we'll ever get to it without a time machine.

I saw Chad Van Gaalen in there quite a few years ago the night I found out I was going to be a parent. Tiny place, did it even have a 'stage'? Seem to remember there being a 6 inch raised platform or something.

T'was a great night, I ended up blootered and the other half had to remain stone cold sober. :thumsup2

Had a small raised stage. Tbf that doesn't hugely bother me with the smaller venues. For local small gigs 13th note is my favourite to attend and play at outside of Stereo.

The Offspring last night was absolutely immense. The entire place was bouncing from the first note of their set, I actually ended up breaking my big toe during their first song! Never seen the Academy anywhere near as wild as that. It was a pleasant surprise as I'd seen videos of them live and they sounded absolutely awful. Bad Religion were good, as to be expected and Templeton Pek were good however they didn't really fit in with the style of music Bad Religion or The Offspring put forward, they'd be a cracking support for a band like Rise Against.