Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Few gigs over the next week after a month or two of nothing. 

Ryan Adams tribute night at the Queens Hall tonight, then Willis Earl Beal at Summerhall on Thursday, The Oh Hellos at the CCA on Saturday and Sigur Ros at the Playhouse on Monday. Should be a decent run of gigs.

Edited by GrahamJags

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 14:53, Northsea80 said:

Idlewild & Super Furry animals next Friday and Saturday at the bandstand.
Beth Orton at St Luke's in October.

Will get me Beth Orton tickets. she's super !

Just got my teen kids MOTHXR tickets sept 5th at King Tut's.....Might go myself!

Willis Earl Beal was fantastic last night, one of the best live performers I've ever seen. The guy is clearly off his nut. Came onstage, took off his shoes, did some press ups and interprative dance, then put his shoes back on and proceeded to play.

First time I've ever been to Summerhall as well. What an absolute clusterfuck of a place.

1 hour ago, Dosser-fae-the-shire said:

Hector Bizerk at Kelvingrove Bandstand tonight. Anyone been to a gif there before? Take it there's a decent bar.

Get pissed before you get in mate. If it's one of those Magners summer nights things the drink selection is terrible and ridiculously overpriced. (I hope you don't smoke as you have to go outside and stand on the road to have a cigarette.)

Take a good rain coat too as there's no shelter!

The Strypes aren't bad but they didn't really build on their early promise.

Looking forward to The Oh Hellos tonight. I'm stuck in hipster hell in the cca upstairs bar. None of my gig buddies fancied this one. Might ask for a plastic and head through for the support. Might just sit and enjoy my only beer of the night (driving) and then head through. I dislike the cca. Sound is ok but it's a bland and soulless room they use for gigs

Went to see Laura St Jude and Natalie Pryce at Broadcast last night. First time in the venue and quite liked it if it is a touch similar to Sleazies's venue. Natalie Pryce were a good surprise with a cool sense of theatrics. Laura St Jude was great as per and hopefully should go onto bigger things. The tune she did with Dale Barclay singing was dece as expected. I sadly missed Amazon Snakedheads before they imploded so was good seeing him live also.

That was a good gig.

Wasn't overly fond of the 2 support acts. Both were by the numbers - decent enough at what they were doing, but what they were doing was lacking. Wildwood Kin in particular could have put their vocal harmonies to better use. The tunes were just a bit too basic: typical folkie fast chords and fast folk drumming. There was no real lead guitar, nothing picked or played solo, and it left the tunes feeling a little shallow. No doubting their talent, but they perhaps need somebody to join the band to add depth.

The headliners: The Oh Hellos - not quite the out and out folk of a band like Fleet Foxes, louder than The Head and The Heart and not quite as lyrically sharp as The Decemberists, but there are certainly little similarities in there. I'm not convinced that they needed 9 people on stage. When you have 2 drummers and 4 guitar players then your banjo and your fiddle are going to get a little bit lost (I know thats only 8 - Maggie (girl vocalist) doesnt play anything) but their enthusiasm is infectious and the brother/sister duo of Maggie and Tyler Heath know how to write a song and make their sibling vocals work really well together.

Will be eagerly awaiting their next gig in Glasgow. Absolutely intend to see them again.

Following on from BSF's post, that Oh Hellos gig was great. Surprised at how good it really was. I couldn't help but make the Head & The Heart comparison, but that description of them is pretty much bang on. Thought their racket was quite tight considering there were so many of them, but there were various moments during that where everything just fell together perfectly, This Will End being one of them. Going to be tough for Sigur Ros to better that tonight for me.

Just bought a ticket to see The Cure and The Twilight Sad in Budapest. Going to see them in London as well. Should be very #dece.