Gigs

pilsner_ffc

On 17/12/2023 at 23:51, Craig fae the Vale said:

Last gig of the year was Teenage Wrist at The Hug & Pint tonight. Sun kissed grunge excellence. Loud and fantastic. 

Support from France's Pærish and Leicester's Mouth Culture who were both also very good.

20231217_215158.jpg

I caught them at their Bristol date on Monday. Had never seen them before so were hoping they'd be good but they blew all expectations out the water and absolutely smashed it. Hopefully a few dates added around their 2000 Trees and Outbreak appearances.

My Top 10 gigs of the year

(1) Young Fathers - Barras
(2) Comet is Coming - Lemon Tree, Aberdeen
(3) Collen - Kings Place, London
(4) The National - Hydro
(5) Bdrmm - Classic Grand
(6) The Delgados - Barras
(7) Steve Mason - King Tuts
(8) Hak Baker - Saint Luke's
(9) Alvvays - SWG3
(10) PJ Harvey - Barras

Nearly making my top 10: Pulp at Hammersmith Appollo, Bug Club at Mono and Hamish Hawk at Drummonds.

Not sure if I will make as many gigs next year as the Euros 2024 will hurt me for Holidays. 

Edited by betting competition

On 17/12/2023 at 10:49, Empty It said:

Turns out they're getting more expensive the more they sell, not sure how that works but the standing tickets are now at £196.50 each so £200+ with booking fees.

"Dynamic pricing."  The newest way of Ticketmaster to rip the pish. I paid about £210 in a presale but that was for early entry. Annoyed that I paid £240 5 year ago and met half the band and now this just gets me a lanyard and at the front.

As another anecdote about price increases, I paid £70 for Bring Me The Horizon standing in January on presale. My sister asked me two months later if I was going, her friend paid £150 each for their tickets. Basically need to stalk bands social media/gigs in scotland website or you're gonna get shafted.

10 hours ago, AnderooMFC said:

"Dynamic pricing."  The newest way of Ticketmaster to rip the pish. I paid about £210 in a presale but that was for early entry. Annoyed that I paid £240 5 year ago and met half the band and now this just gets me a lanyard and at the front.

As another anecdote about price increases, I paid £70 for Bring Me The Horizon standing in January on presale. My sister asked me two months later if I was going, her friend paid £150 each for their tickets. Basically need to stalk bands social media/gigs in scotland website or you're gonna get shafted.

Trying to think of a company I hate more than Ticketmaster right now tbh.

Best Gigs of the Year:

1. Iron Maiden (Hydro)
2. Queens of the Stone Age (Hydro)
3. Vinnie Caruana (Broadcast)
4. Movements (Garage)
5. Hot Mulligan / Spanish Love Songs (SWG3 Galvanizers)
6. boygenius (Connect Festival, Royal Highland Centre)
7. Chinese Football (Broadcast)
8. Be Your Own Pet (Broadcast)
9. Arab Strap (St Luke's)
10. Fall Out Boy (Hydro)

Gigs for January:

20th January - Erland Cooper  (Queen's Hall)
21st January - Hannah Peel & Beibei Wang (Drygate Brewing Company)
27th January - This is the Kit (Tramway)
28th January - Lambchop (Glasgow Royal Concert Hall New Auditorium)

Would want to see a lot more with Celtic Connections during the week but not any Holidays to take with Germany 2024 :( 

Have spent a fair whack on gig tickets this year already:

January - Spanish Love Songs (Glasgow)
February - The Menzingers (Glasgow)
March - Napalm Death / Pig Destroyer (Glasgow)
March - Cattle Decapitation (Glasgow)
May - Bruce Springsteen (Belfast)
June - Liam Gallagher (Glasgow)
August - Metallica (x2) (Boston)
November - Damnation Festival (Manchester)

My partner and I were meant to be limiting our gigging this year as we're getting married in the summer but still have four gigs this month to look forward to. Bring Me The Horizon x2 (was originally meant to be once but got offered guestlist to an extra date), Spanish Love Songs and the Sleeping Souls/Sean McGowan co-headline. 

28 gigs last year. 11 booked and 3 still to buy for this year.
14th January - Bring Me The Horizon
10th February - Simple Plan
20th February - The Blackout
27th March - Electric Eel Shock *
23rd April - The Warning?*
9th May - Tenacious D
23rd May - Twin Atlantic
17th June - Foo Fighters
23rd June - Rammstein
25th June - Green Day
27th June - The Killers
30th August - Blink 182
3rd October - In Flames*
15th December - Slipknot

First gig of the year saw Tina Sandwich, Caseveti, Sister Madds and Lost Tickets as part of King Tut's New Year's Revolution Festival, their annual month long showcase of emerging Scottish talent.

If there's any justice in the world, Tina Sandwich will be a major rock star. Brilliant songs, a great band behind her and outstanding stage presence. One to watch, and one I'll go back and see again and again.

Elsewhere, Sister Madds were bloody fantastic and another band I'll be going to see again. Lost Tickets were very good and Caseveti were enjoyable. 

Great value for £11 and an excellent start to the year even if my back is absolutely killing me.

20240106_220507.jpg

Spanish Love Songs at The Garage tonight. Absolutely perfect. What a band. The new songs sounded brilliant live and the older stuff really got the crowd going. Superb night.

Support from the excellent Heart Attack Man and the enjoyable Suds.

20240117_214224.jpg