Elite Ice Hockey League

Zanetti

Just had my first experience of watching Braehead tonight and really 10/10 for the effort put into making the experience enjoyable. In the second period I was asking myself why I put up with the shite you have to deal with at football games in Scotland when you could sit in relative heat and be treated as if you, the fan, actually matters and that they want you to come again.

Hundreds of VLs in the crowd but a tremendous night and I will definitely be back.

11 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Ps - he won man of the match tonight but is the Clan goalie always that good?

He can pull off some tremendous saves that no keeper should really be making but can sometimes struggle with the more basic stuff. His small frame goes against him in this respect - he's really small for a goalie. In recent weeks he's also looked quite dodgy when leaving his crease.

Also... can we play Fife every week?

The only disappointing thing was that Cowick didn't smash Fox about a bit. 

Just had my first experience of watching Braehead tonight and really 10/10 for the effort put into making the experience enjoyable. In the second period I was asking myself why I put up with the shite you have to deal with at football games in Scotland when you could sit in relative heat and be treated as if you, the fan, actually matters and that they want you to come again.

Hundreds of VLs in the crowd but a tremendous night and I will definitely be back.

Very much agree with this. It might get old if you had a season ticket, but as something you go to every so often, it's a brilliant night out for a sport. Does put a lot of football clubs to shame, especially now that the clan are getting as many fans in as some premiership sides

12 hours ago, forameus said:

especially now that the clan are getting as many fans in as some premiership sides

I'm sure you could selectively define "as many fans" to make that the case, but their average attendances are still well below all but Hamilton and below half of the Championship, including their neighbours St. Mirren.

Have to echo the sentiments of the previous poster's, took in my first Braehead Clan game with a couple of mates a few week back and really enjoyed it despite the fact they lost on a penalty shootout to Cardiff Devils. Was a really decent atmosphere and the arena was almost completely full. Really liked the idea of being able to have a beer while watching the hockey. I'll definitely make a point of getting back in the near future and will keep an eye out on their results. 

The EPL is close to collapse MK already leaving and Phoenix have folded. Telford basically became a new co midseason and Bracknell seem to struggle more each year so maybe prefer a step down. So Guildford are probably in a situation a bit like Fife were in the SNL when Dundee joined Edinburgh in the elite in being too big a fish in a small pond and fans will start to lose interest. Folk said same thing about Fife owner but fair play to them and Guidford making the step up the fan base is there and they should be competitive reasonably quickly. 

I'm a caps fan. I would say in terms of competitiveness I think it is great there will be a bigger league and more rink teams than arena teams so decision making will not be too arena orientated. The conference system has worked well so would expect that to remain and Belfast to join the north and then it has a couple of arena teams and with two new teams in south I think there will be more balance between conferences. I would expect play own conference teams 6 times and other conference teams 4 times compared to 8 and 4 currently. Getting into play offs could be harder though if still 8 place

You will end up with some boring end of season games (and consequently smaller crowds for smaller teams) if it remains 8 playoff places.

I would do Top 2 automatically qualify.

2-10 then play two knockout rounds for other 2 places.

Make time for this in the schedule by cutting challenge cup right back.

4 groups of 3 with only winner qualifying for semis.

Edited by invergowrie arab

Would like to see at least the regular season winners get a bye to the play off semis and the play offs being the main trophy and champions league entrant but arena teams seem to need to know they will be playing a home quarter final leg. Seems to just be a UK issue. Other leagues around the world teams with multi purpose arena seem to be able to play best of series etc but guess hockey not main tenant for arenas in UK. 

Assuming that is the case and they don't budge from that I would like to see a play in system team 7 plays team 10 and team 8 plays team 9 in one off games and winners progress to quarters. Would love to see winners get bye and or best of series but will not happen anytime soon.

The challenge cup I would like to see run like the old autumn cup and have the final by early December. I'd go 4 groups of 3 but would have top 2 going through. Group games completed in first 2 weeks of the season. Groups be drawn out a hat.

Watching the Adler Mannheim v Dusseldorf game is making me wish I was in the SAP arena again. Their fan culture is absolutely fantastic - this is a video of their display for the outdoor game against Schwenninger. The scale of the banner they made is incredible and it was all funded and organised by the fans.

28 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

What's it like watching the Capitals? I've heard people say that they enjoy going to the Clan games, good atmosphere etc, how is it at Murrayfield?

Going to see Clan is a 3000 sell out in an ultra modern rink. Caps will be 800 in a dilapidated freezing old warehouse.

I actually quite like the old style charm of Edinburgh but I can't imagine they get many new customers coming back who aren't already hockey fans.

11 hours ago, ICTChris said:

What's it like watching the Capitals? I've heard people say that they enjoy going to the Clan games, good atmosphere etc, how is it at Murrayfield?

The Clan experience is very much a US-style sports entertainment night out. New, comfy facilities, lots of noise but very Pavlovian in a "clap when you're told to", artificial sort of way like they have in the MLS.

Watching the Caps is more like a trip to Cappielow. Not as many folk there, but they're the sort who don't mind watching a perma-shite team. A bit more history about the place as reflected by the state of the seats.

Most folk would prefer the clan experience, as the crowd numbers show, but I'm the sort who feels much more comfortable at Murrayfield. Then again, I do live in Albania.

11 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Cold. So very cold.

I've never understood why folk call Murrayfield cold, especially football fans. In terms of climate I'd take indoor Murrayfield over Fir Park eight times out of ten throughout the season.