Elite Ice Hockey League

Zanetti

11 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Clan fans giving it big balls about having loads of money yet losing their team. Funny old game.

Scott Pitt is literally the only guy I'm bothered about losing but it was inevitable, and he's going to play elsewhere in Europe rather than for a rival team. 

Not that it's relevant to the original point made. 

Well, that's dundee's coach off then. Never expected that.

I'm not familiar enough with Ice Hockey to comment because he was always well regarded but there was something that never sat right with me regarding him. He was an excellent coach by the sounds of things but I never took a liking to him the way I would a football manager. I dunno if other Dundee fans felt similar?

To be honest I'm surprised we don't see it more often. Not sure if coaches contracts are the same as players where either side just needs to give 2 weeks notice. I thought it might be difficult for Stars to hold onto to him after taking them to final 4 thought he might have been in contention for Clan job. You don't see many head coaches in the elite league even over the age of 40 most coaches if they do reasonably well will see it as stepping stone and then go to minor league teams in North America as an assistant and work their way up. 

I have just moved up to Dundee in the couple of months so looking to be a regular at the stars games next season. Impression I get is that the owners are struggling to make it work financially so not sure what will happen if new ownership can't come in for 2018/19. It is important that they can again put together a competitive team that can reach the play offs a bad season on the ice could increase apathy off the ice. The stars have been going for 15 years now I think maybe it is the right time for a new owner to take over hopefully the Wards can keep the club running until that point.£495 for a season ticket I appreciate it is now for 31 games instead of 26 I think. Its not even that big a saving for just paying at gate which I will likely do or get a 10 game ticket. It is not an easy proposition for families in a post industrial city. Location wise the rink is pretty far away from city centre and regeneration of the waterfront I think is going to take attention away from rink and cinema in the coming years. The Stars need new ownership and fresh ideas they have done well on the ice given what they are up against but the league is improving year on year on and off the ice. 

On 01/07/2017 at 12:05, grazza said:

To be honest I'm surprised we don't see it more often. Not sure if coaches contracts are the same as players where either side just needs to give 2 weeks notice. I thought it might be difficult for Stars to hold onto to him after taking them to final 4 thought he might have been in contention for Clan job. You don't see many head coaches in the elite league even over the age of 40 most coaches if they do reasonably well will see it as stepping stone and then go to minor league teams in North America as an assistant and work their way up. 

I have just moved up to Dundee in the couple of months so looking to be a regular at the stars games next season. Impression I get is that the owners are struggling to make it work financially so not sure what will happen if new ownership can't come in for 2018/19. It is important that they can again put together a competitive team that can reach the play offs a bad season on the ice could increase apathy off the ice. The stars have been going for 15 years now I think maybe it is the right time for a new owner to take over hopefully the Wards can keep the club running until that point.£495 for a season ticket I appreciate it is now for 31 games instead of 26 I think. Its not even that big a saving for just paying at gate which I will likely do or get a 10 game ticket. It is not an easy proposition for families in a post industrial city. Location wise the rink is pretty far away from city centre and regeneration of the waterfront I think is going to take attention away from rink and cinema in the coming years. The Stars need new ownership and fresh ideas they have done well on the ice given what they are up against but the league is improving year on year on and off the ice. 

This is all pretty much correct.

That said there is no reason, apart from the historic continuity, that Stars couldn't get same crowds as Fife.

The facts remain many people in city have no idea there is a team and the club do nothing beyond token efforts to increase visibility. Even if they do prices are now getting on for being comparable with football.

They did have posters in Overgate last year with fixtures on it which amazingly managed to not mention Stars were an ice hockey team, not mention where the games took place and had crowd shot so not even a pictorial clue as to what the f**k was being advertised.

The best, and I suspect, ultimate solution that will pan out in future is Stars, Flyers, Caps, Lynx, Solway and a Clan B playing in a half dozen import league conference linked to north and south English conferences.

Or everyone will go bust, one or the other.

On 30/06/2017 at 23:40, Ludo*1 said:

I'm not familiar enough with Ice Hockey to comment because he was always well regarded but there was something that never sat right with me regarding him. He was an excellent coach by the sounds of things but I never took a liking to him the way I would a football manager. I dunno if other Dundee fans felt similar?

He was a bit of a bam but a decent enough coach.

Both seasons we went through horrendous mid season slumps before rallying again. I think he was more the kind of guy who could build a squad and work on the big issues over time rather than make in game or night to night adjustments.

• 1 month later...

I took in my first ever hockey game last night. Dundee v Belfast.

Overall it was an enjoyable experience, even though I don't fully understand the rules. It was quite dramatic at the end with Dundee scoring an equaliser with about 20 seconds left on the clock before winning a penalty shootout. It was less violent than I expected, but my only previous experience comes from watching films like Youngblood and Slapshot which make it look like a bloodbath. 

The match day experience was quite good even though it was kinda "american" with heavy metal music blaring away during pauses in play. The crowd wasn't particularly rowdy compared with football. There must have been around a thousand or so in attendance. I was sitting behind the 20 or so away supporters but they didn't make much noise and there was no "banter" between the fans. Any chanting was of the "rah rah" variety. It was also good to get a pint while watching the game.

At £18 it was reasonably priced compared to football and I will go back, but not regularly. I assume the games v Fife attract the biggest crowds so I'll keep an eye on the fixtures and may head to the next one.

Pretty much spot on. It's more of a family atmosphere.

Biggest crowds are indeed Fife and slightly less for Braehead. There can be a fair bit of noise but nothing football like in the chanting.

Although it was technically a competitive game it was a league cup group game so think of it as a league cup group game in football. Kind of pre-season type atmosphere and speed of game.

Dundee still have 4 imports to come in and that was first game on ice together. It will be faster and harder than that in weeks to come.

Stars are playing Caps on Wednesday night in a pre season game. Tenner to get in, decent value if anyone wanted to try it out for the first time.

Caps should be up to full strength for this one. Islamov and Teslyukevich are in the country but waiting on equipment and Tvrdon (who looks a great signing) arrives today. Vorobyov is the only doubt as his visa process has been delayed by the death of his father.

It was a very scrappy game last night with both teams short benched and considerably different from the previous season. It was the worst quality penalty shootout you'll ever see. Not much to be extrapolated but a valuable run out for both teams.

The most bizarre moment of last night, and hopefully the whole season was courtesy of Juris Upitis, who stayed on the ice when the rest were in the dressing room to do some badge kissing and terrible dancing. Easily the most cringeworthy thing I've ever seen at an ice rink.

Caps should be up to full strength for this one. Islamov and Teslyukevich are in the country but waiting on equipment and Tvrdon (who looks a great signing) arrives today. Vorobyov is the only doubt as his visa process has been delayed by the death of his father.

It was a very scrappy game last night with both teams short benched and considerably different from the previous season. It was the worst quality penalty shootout you'll ever see. Not much to be extrapolated but a valuable run out for both teams.

The most bizarre moment of last night, and hopefully the whole season was courtesy of Juris Upitis, who stayed on the ice when the rest were in the dressing room to do some badge kissing and terrible dancing. Easily the most cringeworthy thing I've ever seen at an ice rink.

Couldn't make it last night so Wednesday will be my first look at Caps this season.

Did read elsewhere that it was pretty scrappy last night but apparently Stars played well on Saturday against Belfast so hopefully it'll be more like that.

Most Stars v Caps I've been to have usually been pretty decent in the past....though guess both are very different now.

Another thing I'm interested to see is how Caps have replaced Fullerton. Often he saved Caps from utter hidings last season, particularly remember a game Caps beat Stars at Murrayfield and one at DIA that ended up Caps winning the shootout when they could and should have been beaten in reg by Stars but he really kept them in it.

Glad he's at Stars now!

Another thing I'm interested to see is how Caps have replaced Fullerton. Often he saved Caps from utter hidings last season, particularly remember a game Caps beat Stars at Murrayfield and one at DIA that ended up Caps winning the shootout when they could and should have been beaten in reg by Stars but he really kept them in it.

Glad he's at Stars now!

Shegalo's had a dodgy start. A very different style of keeper from what we're used to. He was solid enough against Manitoba but was still in the locker room when Dundee lobbed one in from the blue line early on Sunday. He gives up a lout of large rebounds but I think that's just how he's been told to play during his career. Our D is still a bit patchwork and he'll need to build an understanding with them. He played for Russia U20s and was in a KHL squad two seasons ago though so must have something about him.

Shegalo's had a dodgy start. A very different style of keeper from what we're used to. He was solid enough against Manitoba but was still in the locker room when Dundee lobbed one in from the blue line early on Sunday. He gives up a lout of large rebounds but I think that's just how he's been told to play during his career. Our D is still a bit patchwork and he'll need to build an understanding with them. He played for Russia U20s and was in a KHL squad two seasons ago though so must have something about him.

Looking forward to seeing him tomorrow night then.

Sounds like he could be decent given a wee bit of time.

What's The Caps aims for this season ahead? Must be to aim a wee bit higher...i think potentially they could be bigger than Stars and certainly on a level with Clan if they were marketed properly. The Rink at Murrayfield probably doesn't help right enough?

4 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

What's The Caps aims for this season ahead? Must be to aim a wee bit higher...i think potentially they could be bigger than Stars and certainly on a level with Clan if they were marketed properly. The Rink at Murrayfield probably doesn't help right enough?

I think 90% of Caps fans would say that making the playoffs is the aim for this season. Winning the conference (which may actually be required to make the post-season) or getting to Nottingham would be a great season. This is the most expensive Caps side ever put together but is still way behind the arena teams on paper. It's very encouraging to see glimmers of strategy and tactics being put in place by Khristich, the complete absence of such was what really killed last season.

The Caps as an organisation have a very small backroom staff and as such have always struggled with marketing. There's a couple of taxis which punt around Edinburgh emblazoned with the logo which should be helping a bit and you do see new faces through the doors with Groupon deals but so many regulars have stopped attending because of the perennial farces. There must be about 4,000 folk in Edinburgh who at some point or another were common faces at Murrayfield. And, like you say, though I love it and far prefer it to watching hockey in somewhere like Braehead, the rink does put off a lot of people. Most of Edinburgh isn't really of the demographic which will put up with such conditions.

There's still a lot of work to be done on awareness. Today I was asked for the thousandth time where the Caps play. This time by someone who's lived in Edinburgh for decades.

I think 90% of Caps fans would say that making the playoffs is the aim for this season. Winning the conference (which may actually be required to make the post-season) or getting to Nottingham would be a great season. This is the most expensive Caps side ever put together but is still way behind the arena teams on paper. It's very encouraging to see glimmers of strategy and tactics being put in place by Khristich, the complete absence of such was what really killed last season.
The Caps as an organisation have a very small backroom staff and as such have always struggled with marketing. There's a couple of taxis which punt around Edinburgh emblazoned with the logo which should be helping a bit and you do see new faces through the doors with Groupon deals but so many regulars have stopped attending because of the perennial farces. There must be about 4,000 folk in Edinburgh who at some point or another were common faces at Murrayfield. And, like you say, though I love it and far prefer it to watching hockey in somewhere like Braehead, the rink does put off a lot of people. Most of Edinburgh isn't really of the demographic which will put up with such conditions.
There's still a lot of work to be done on awareness. Today I was asked for the thousandth time where the Caps play. This time by someone who's lived in Edinburgh for decades.

That's exactly what i was thinking regarding Murrayfield....i personally like it...but can see it being a potential put off for many. Which is a shame.

Would be great if Stars could at least emulate last season's efforts and it would be fantastic if either Caps or Flyers could make the final four as well but it's obviously a very difficult ask for one of the Scottish teams to make it never mind two. Not so bothered about Clan and although I've really nothing against them they just seem to me to a bit plastic.

Murrayfield is simply an awful viewing experience. I was OK with it to begin with for the romance of it but having been about a dozen times now the sightlines, temperature leg room and catering facilities are all just the pits.

This with a Stars/Caps crowd of about 7/800? Goodness knows what it will be like this weekend.

A city with Edinburgh's catchment and student/international population should easily get 2/3K on the gate every night with the right rink and team.

Anyway. Tonight was OK. Stars look quick and skillful. Caps look big and powerful. Not much between teams.

Thought it was a decent game tonight. Stars looked good at times and reminded me a little bit of last season's team. Overall i think Caps have probably improved a wee bit on last term but obviously still early days.

Cownie and Levesque caught my eye for Stars and thought Sheepdog did well overall.

Shegalo looked a little bit suspect in nets for Caps, definitely think that's the one area where Caps have yet to improve.

It really does make me laugh when people complain that Murrayfield, an ice rink, is cold. From a playing standpoint it means that the ice is usually excellent, maybe the best in the league. Wear two pairs of socks and it's really not that bad watching either. I'm sure I've read as a listed building they are restricted to the changes they can make to the rink. This combined with the fact the people who run the rink are absolute bellends, who seem to see ice hockey as an inconvenience, means I can't see it changing anytime soon.

I know they do try hard to interest the local student population, I'm sure though there was a some point a ridiculous situation when Heriot Watt as a sponsor didn't like the idea of the team being promoted in the other universities. Also having played on the universities team in Edinburgh, our international students were using to watching high level hockey at home, NHL/Swedish/Finnish/Czech leagues. They found watching UK hockey wasn't for them. Imagine being used to watching La Liga then trying to watch the SPFL

7 hours ago, Torpar said:

It really does make me laugh when people complain that Murrayfield, an ice rink, is cold.

Also having played on the universities team in Edinburgh, our international students were using to watching high level hockey at home, NHL/Swedish/Finnish/Czech leagues. They found watching UK hockey wasn't for them. Imagine being used to watching La Liga then trying to watch the SPFL

I find moaning about the temperature at Murrayfield a bit bizarre, especially when it comes from football fans. Firhill in January is a darn sight colder than Murrayfield. A list of my top twenty coldest sports experiences would contain far more football games than it would hockey. It's one aspect that has me often choosing hockey over football once the clocks change.

The EIHL of today is much better in almost every aspect than the EIHL of ten years ago. Considering teams from the UK have turned over Czech teams and Swiss teams in four of six Champions Leagues games this season shows that the hockey on offer here isn't that far away from those leagues. Many of the arguments posed in the "Sticking up for Scottish Football" thread over in the main forum could be transposed to a "Sticking up for British Hockey" thread.