Arnold Clark Horror Stories

11 hours ago, Mitch said:

I get a car allowance via my work. I have been leasing a car through that scheme for almost 4 years, but I am getting dicked stupid with tax.
Looking to take the cash equivalent and buy a car. I’ve bought a couple before from Arnold Clark, but reading a few bad tales in here.
Where else can you go for a reasonable deal? I appreciate you never really get a good deal when a buying a car, generally the best you get is a deal that doesn’t completely rip you off!
I know next to nothing about cars!

Same for me. Fortunately I've always had  very straight mechanics who've kept me right re purchasing cars and getting them serviced/repairs. One man bands, both of them.

• 4 months later...

I made the mistake of buying from Arnold Clark bought a Nissan qashqai 1200 cc petrol with 21000 miles on the clock after covering 3000 miles I checked the oil to discover it had very little oil in it. Contracted arnold Clark and they booked it in to have a look at it after having it all day they told me they could find nothing wrong with it and it would have to be booked in to Nissan as there computers were not compatible with Nissan cars. Nissan checked the car and told me to run the car for another 3000 miles to see if the problem acured again and charged me £120. I asked Arnold Clark to refund my money as I didn't think I should be paying for a car that had covered 3000 miles and had used all its oil but they said it was out of its 6 months warranty even though I had took an extended warranty. The car done exactly the same after another 3000 miles and Nissan replaced the engine free of charge I have to say Nissan were amazing the service I received from them was second to none and I didn't buy the car from them. Arnold Clark's level of service and commitment to there costomers is disgraceful never will I buy from this joke of a company ever again one more thing if you want a Nissan car go to main dealers never use Arnold shark 

15 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

I think the common theme here is:
Buy a new car at a great price but get it serviced elsewhere.

Never buy a used car from them.

I've bought plenty of used cars from them and never had an issue. 

I've also used them for a lot of servicing and, again, never had an issue.

I suspect they have a similar rate of issues to most other major dealerships, it's just that they're so big that that means the are more for people to shout about. There is also clearly an issue in how they respond to them.

On 05/06/2019 at 23:46, Mitch said:

I get a car allowance via my work. I have been leasing a car through that scheme for almost 4 years, but I am getting dicked stupid with tax.
Looking to take the cash equivalent and buy a car. I’ve bought a couple before from Arnold Clark, but reading a few bad tales in here.
Where else can you go for a reasonable deal? I appreciate you never really get a good deal when a buying a car, generally the best you get is a deal that doesn’t completely rip you off!
I know next to nothing about cars!

Go for a few test drives at different dealerships. Leave your number with them and say the price is a bit much.

When it gets near to the end of the month they'll be calling you with improved deals so they can hit their targets. 

5 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I suspect they have a similar rate of issues to most other major dealerships, it's just that they're so big that that means the are more for people to shout about. There is also clearly an issue in how they respond to them.

I have never bought a car from them but they are the Merc dealer in Aberdeen and every service I have had has been an issue.  I now service the car in Edinburgh.

Leased my current car from AC in Stirling and thought they were very good. Lease due to expire soon so returned to AC Volvo in Stirling and they could not care less.

Attended on 3 occasions to see about leasing the vehicle and spoke to one salesman twice. Was serious about going for a dearer car but salesman was uninterested. Phoned and he was on day off and left a message to phone me - that was 3months ago and still waiting for the call.

Went through to a Volvo dealer in Corstophine and the attitude was day and night. They were actually interested in selling a vehicle to me. Really great service and contract soon signed.

A few years back one of their Sales Managers in their Balfield Road Dundee was found to be running some sort of insurance warranty scam and reported by a colleague to head office. Rather than risk negative publicity he was shipped off to a dealership in the central belt and basically told not to do it again [emoji23]

A few years back one of their Sales Managers in their Balfield Road Dundee was found to be running some sort of insurance warranty scam and reported by a colleague to head office. Rather than risk negative publicity he was shipped off to a dealership in the central belt and basically told not to do it again [emoji23]
Must have been some scam to be even worse than most used car warranties you get already.

I’ve bought a few cars from Arnold Clark down the years, my wife’s current car is a Polo from them. Never had a problem. The problem I have is with folk who buy cars from them and cannot get the big yellow ‘Arnold Clark’ sticker off their back window. The amount of half-scratched, half-picked, worn down by the rear wiper Arnold Clark yellow stickers I’ve seen. Honestly.... all you need is a kettle of boiling water. Pour boiling hot water over the bloody thing, wait thirty seconds, pour it over again. Start picking a corner and as it comes off, keep pouring more water on it. Piece of piss. 

Hiya Arnold, hiya pal.

I’ve bought a few cars from Arnold Clark down the years, my wife’s current car is a Polo from them. Never had a problem. The problem I have is with folk who buy cars from them and cannot get the big yellow ‘Arnold Clark’ sticker off their back window. The amount of half-scratched, half-picked, worn down by the rear wiper Arnold Clark yellow stickers I’ve seen. Honestly.... all you need is a kettle of boiling water. Pour boiling hot water over the bloody thing, wait thirty seconds, pour it over again. Start picking a corner and as it comes off, keep pouring more water on it. Piece of piss. 
Pour boiling water on a window with a seal?
Wtf

12 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Do you wait until the winter when there is a bit of frost on the window too?

13 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Glass scraper Mate.

Even easier piece of piss and less likely to burn fingers

Think I've asked on here before but if I'm asking again I assume I wasn't given a decent answer.

Why get a lease ahead of buying a car?

Unless I'm missing something obvious a lease has only 1 benefit and that's a new car every 3 years.

From seeing the price per month they aren't even cheap.

What am I missing?

Edited by Gaz FFC

7 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Think I've asked on here before but if I'm asking again I assume I wasn't given a decent answer.

Why get a lease ahead of buying a car?

Unless I'm missing something obvious a lease has only 1 benefit and that's a new car every 3 years.

From seeing the price per month they aren't even cheap.

What am I missing?

You'd also not have the higher initial cost so might suit a lot of people that aren't great at saving or want to spend that on holidays/something else. New car every 3 years is a big part of it when it comes to maintenance etc. as you won't need to MOT it.

6 minutes ago, deej said:

You'd also not have the higher initial cost so might suit a lot of people that aren't great at saving or want to spend that on holidays/something else. New car every 3 years is a big part of it when it comes to maintenance etc. as you won't need to MOT it.

I guess the point I'm making is ahead of taking out a 4 year finance deal.

If I lease a car and every 3 years get a new 1 after 12 years I've had 4 cars and own f**k all.

If I buy a car via a loan from the bank or finance from the dealer after 4 years I can sell the car or trade it in against a new 1.

We all agree on here renting a flat is throwing money away ahead of a mortgage so why is leasing a car not a shitey con????

Surely a new car every 3 years isn't the only selling point worth mentioning?

The MOT part is a bit weak given in year 4 and it's 1st MOT I'd be spewing if it didn't sail through with zero work needed.

ETA also you mention "higher initial cost", I've seen lease agreements with a down payment 1st.

Edited by Gaz FFC

I guess the point I'm making is ahead of taking out a 4 year finance deal.
If I lease a car and every 3 years get a new 1 after 12 years I've had 4 cars and own f**k all.
If I buy a car via a loan from the bank or finance from the dealer after 4 years I can sell the car or trade it in against a new 1.
We all agree on here renting a flat is throwing money away ahead of a mortgage so why is leasing a car not a shitey con????
Surely a new car every 3 years isn't the only selling point worth mentioning?
The MOT part is a bit weak given in year 4 and it's 1st MOT I'd be spewing if it didn't sail through with zero work needed.
ETA also you mention "higher initial cost", I've seen lease agreements with a down payment 1st.
I've had this conversation with a few friends recently and 'you get a new one every 3 years' is what attracts them. I prefer to buy a quality new(ish) car and get a good 8+ years out of it. I'm not a car person and don't care about it being a newer model so PCP is never going to be for me.