The Next St. Mirren Manager....

You pays your money and you takes your choice...  

450 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Goodwin must stay if we have any chance of avoiding the play off place. Good that the coaching duties have been removed as he can now concentrate on playing.

Let the 2 Man City loanees return and tell another 5 (and we know who they are) to get their agents to find new Clubs for them as they won't get a game and bring in 5 more in January. We have the basis of a decent side but no depth. But things are suddenly looking up :)

You mean get rid of our top league goalscorer? Not that being our top scorer is an amazing feat at this point, but Drury seems decent and I'd give him a chance.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me Marwood, Ball, McAusland aren't up to it. Plummer looked decent but has been injured for months and Even though Drury is our joint top scorer he is not a winger. Maybe worth keeping to try him in a more advanced position but he doesn't bring balance to the team.

Teale is finished as a player as well.

Fullarton looks an interesting option, out of work, and would be good to understand his experience setting up a youth academy in Spain.

Decent left field candidate.

I'm sure Billy Stark applied for the Thistle job with us when McCall left us.

Thank f**k the board had the foresight to not give him it.

I doubt we would be in the Premiership without McNamara's good work when he took over.

#starkforthebuddiesplease

Who's that?

Jime Fullarton - is that the ex-DAB who had a horrendous injury where his foot was about hanging off?

Yes. He started off his career with us and was one of a number of promising youngsters we had in the mid 90s. However, while we got money for a number of them (Lavety and Baker immediately come to mind), Fullarton signed for a club in France just after the Bosman came in. This meant we got nothing, whereas we'd have got something if he'd signed for any UK club. Fair to say he wasn't too popular.

A year later he popped up at Palace and then ended up at Dundee United where he had the injury. Last I heard he was youth coach at Bolton (guessing he knew Freedman from his time at Palace) and got the bullet when Neil Lennon came in.

Would be a huge gamble, as would Teale or Thompson (although he has more coaching experience than the latter). As I mentioned before, had he not just spent four years at the club someone like Tommy Craig would have been an ideal assistant for a young manager!

For me Marwood, Ball, McAusland aren't up to it. Plummer looked decent but has been injured for months and Even though Drury is our joint top scorer he is not a winger. Maybe worth keeping to try him in a more advanced position but he doesn't bring balance to the team.

You could maybe add Caldwell to the list, although he's played so little it's hard to tell. Reilly is another one who isn't good enough for this level.

Ian Murray is a certainty and it's bewildering how he hasn't had his big move yet... He's proved that he can work with numerous player coaches, so this one makes sense

Has he? Don't get me wrong I think he's done a great job but one of his few criticisms is that he's too loyal to players. This year for example he's signed up a number of players we were all expecting to move on - Prunty, MacDougall, McLaughlin etc. but Murray knows what those guys can do and signed them up (Prunty eventually moving on). I don't think he has great contacts in the game. He worked well with Jack Ross and he's started okay this season with Boozy but I wouldn't say it's been proven that he could work with anyone.

Could be bull but friend of mine told me Murray's happy with part time as means can spend time with family easily and manage a team. Has it ever been confirmed that he had applied for a bigger job? Seems in no rush at all.

He has said that in the past, aye and I don't think he's ever applied for another job. It was rumoured he was a bit disappointed that Hibs overlooked him but I reckon that's the sort of offer he'd be interested in.

Undoubtedly. But Dumbarton have conceded 31 goals this season, averages a touch over 2 goals conceded per game, Only Cowdenbeath has a worse record and it's not as if Dumbarton are playing a baws out, all out attacking style as they are also the lowest scorers in the league with 14. Less than a goal a game. Last season they had 64 goals put past them. Only Morton and Cowdenbeath again had worse records and lets remember, Morton had to get 10 put past them on the final day to overtake Dumbarton.

Last season we pretty much were baws out attacking, fairly certain we were one of the highest scorers in the league. Agree though, Murray's had real trouble sorting out our defence and our attack has had to bail them out on a number of occasions. Surprising really that a defender that's played at that level for his whole career can't get a defence organised, especially when you consider the experience we have this year in Andy Graham, Van Zanten, Mair & McLaughlin, Linton and Taggart have also played at this level for a few years. In all honesty, I think the problem lies more with our midfield but Murray's goals against column will not be pretty reading.

Calls for Barry Smith are a reminder of how media sensationalism off the back of a victory against the basket case from govan can put your name in lights.

He's a legend for the career he had at Dens and the Deefiant season but unfortunately since then his managerial record is very poor and he wouldn't be near this job if his "minnows" hadn't just pumped the sevco.

I wish him all the best and hope he becomes a great gaffer but right now he certainly isn't that.

Calls for Barry Smith are a reminder of how media sensationalism off the back of a victory against the basket case from govan can put your name in lights.

He's a legend for the career he had at Dens and the Deefiant season but unfortunately since then his managerial record is very poor and he wouldn't be near this job if his "minnows" hadn't just pumped the sevco.

I wish him all the best and hope he becomes a great gaffer but right now he certainly isn't that.

Don't think it's fair to say his management record has been 'very poor'. His record has been pretty bang average and he's achieved just what has been expected of him.

I'd like to think the board have watched enough Under 21 games at our ground to realise Stark was too far out his comfort zone there. Another Tommy Craig.

Players have been playing poorly this year all round. I mean if you first saw the Saints side this year you'd say Naismith and McGinn were mince too. The whole squad is playing within itself so might be nice to see these players all play to their abilities and maybe it's the same with the new signings.

I don't know what is up with Plummer, looked a good find and I'm suspicious of these injuries that just happen and the player is back ina few weeks but months later we hear nothing. Ball I think has enough for me to think he is worth persevering with for a while. A lump upfront is useful at least. Marwood just seem a bit Lewis Guy but hasn't played 2 up front like Craig stated he would. Drury I think is poor, the kid has decent technique but his reading of the game is poor and he has been anonymous at times. Perhaps not his position.

The win over Rangers combined with him being from Paisley and a Saints fan is about the only reason I can think of for folk wanting him. We need someone to turn around our season, Dundee binned him because they didn't think he could turn theirs round two years ago so that's far from a ringing endorsement. I can't believe the number of people wanting him.

I'd like to think the board have watched enough Under 21 games at our ground to realise Stark was too far out his comfort zone there. Another Tommy Craig.

Players have been playing poorly this year all round. I mean if you first saw the Saints side this year you'd say Naismith and McGinn were mince too. The whole squad is playing within itself so might be nice to see these players all play to their abilities and maybe it's the same with the new signings.

I don't know what is up with Plummer, looked a good find and I'm suspicious of these injuries that just happen and the player is back ina few weeks but months later we hear nothing. Ball I think has enough for me to think he is worth persevering with for a while. A lump upfront is useful at least. Marwood just seem a bit Lewis Guy but hasn't played 2 up front like Craig stated he would. Drury I think is poor, the kid has decent technique but his reading of the game is poor and he has been anonymous at times. Perhaps not his position.

Supposedly Chick Young was on the radio on Saturday claiming we have a player who suddenly claims to be injured or have a knock the day before games. I didn't hear it so have no idea who it was but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Plummer he's been a fortnight away from coming back since September!

You'd have thought someone like Teale would have been ideal to help Drury considering they both play the same position. Had to laugh at the PDE a wee while ago when Teale said he'd been giving Drury advice on scoring - Drury has scored about as many goals in three months as Teale has in three years!

The win over Rangers combined with him being from Paisley and a Saints fan is about the only reason I can think of for folk wanting him. We need someone to turn around our season, Dundee binned him because they didn't think he could turn theirs round two years ago so that's far from a ringing endorsement. I can't believe the number of people wanting him.

Supposedly Chick Young was on the radio on Saturday claiming we have a player who suddenly claims to be injured or have a knock the day before games. I didn't hear it so have no idea who it was but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Plummer he's been a fortnight away from coming back since September!

You'd have thought someone like Teale would have been ideal to help Drury considering they both play the same position. Had to laugh at the PDE a wee while ago when Teale said he'd been giving Drury advice on scoring - Drury has scored about as many goals in three months as Teale has in three years!

I might have missed something somewhere, but what has happened to Gregg Wylde?

While I admit there's an element of truth in Alloa's Cup win over Rangers pushing his name into the lime-light recently, to say he was 'very poor' is ridiculous to say the least. Did he struggle to galvanise and command a thread-bare, choas-soaked Dundee following a last-minute inclusion into the SPL? Absolutely.

Was he a bad manager? No, not in my opinion.

He proved his weight in gold in the -25pt Deefiant season (which appears to have inspired your username, short memory... ) — our unexpected inclusion in the SPL seasons' circumstances had a lot of people out of their comfort zone, not just Barry. He didn't even have an assistant manager for much of his time as Dundee manager. IMO it was simply a step too far for him, too soon.

He won't go for (or get) the St Mirren job but I don't think it's fair to say he was a bad manager.

Archived