The Next St. Mirren Manager....

You pays your money and you takes your choice...  

450 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Undoubtedly. But Dumbarton have conceded 31 goals this season, averages a touch over 2 goals conceded per game, Only Cowdenbeath has a worse record and it's not as if Dumbarton are playing a baws out, all out attacking style as they are also the lowest scorers in the league with 14. Less than a goal a game. Last season they had 64 goals put past them. Only Morton and Cowdenbeath again had worse records and lets remember, Morton had to get 10 put past them on the final day to overtake Dumbarton.

Fair enough, losing McGinn and then randomly deciding to change to a formation none of the player have likely ever played before won't have helped though, although I suppose that counts against Murray anyway. The lack of goals correlates with the injury to Kane though, he'll probably score 14 this month alone...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His record is pretty poor tbh. If it wasn't for QoS last gasp goal at Cowdenbeath we would have been relegated.

League record - P 29 W 6 D 5 L 18. Last 11 games is grim, P 11 W 1 D 3 L 7. Had we not performed the heroics against the big teams there would be a bit of pressure on Barry at the moment.

Haud the bus. Are there really fans of other Premiership teams advocating recruiting Jim Goodwin in January?

No, just one mental Partick fan who we'll probably find out is jagfox's sober alias

Undoubtedly. But Dumbarton have conceded 31 goals this season, averages a touch over 2 goals conceded per game, Only Cowdenbeath has a worse record and it's not as if Dumbarton are playing a baws out, all out attacking style as they are also the lowest scorers in the league with 14. Less than a goal a game. Last season they had 64 goals put past them. Only Morton and Cowdenbeath again had worse records and lets remember, Morton had to get 10 put past them on the final day to overtake Dumbarton.

This season we have Hearts, Rangers, Hibs and a very decent QOTS team to contend with. For a part time team that's a tough ask and Murray is coping just fine when he doesn't randomly tinker with the tactics.

You mention last season's goals against record but fail to mention that we were also the 2nd highest goalscorers in the league (no mean feat for a part time side). We would have finished with the most goals scored if Hamilton hadn't put 10 past Morton on the final day. This was a full on 'baws out, all attacking' style and it was excellent to watch which left us with more goals for than the champions (11 more to be precise). I genuinely think you would have struggled to find better entertainment anywhere in the country and it was by far my most enjoyable season following the Sons or football in general.

Murray's went a little more cautious this season due to the teams in our league but it was always inevitable that we would get a few scuddings off the 'big 3'. His tactics have failed at times and he seems determined to make European style formations work when we clearly dont have the players for it but overall we've been relatively comfortable in terms of staying up thus far.

Only £10K compensation, apparently (apologies for repeating myself, I'd quoted a previous post above).

While our BoD are parsimonious, they did sanction £35K to bring in Dougie Imrie, so anything is possible....

Where did you get the 10k figure from? I would have thought we'd be looking for a bit more than that.

No, just one mental Partick fan who we'll probably find out is jagfox's sober alias

I wouldn't be wholly against signing Goodwin but we have other priorities at the moment. He is a great competitor and plays the middle of the park enforcer role to a tee (when not suspended for smacking teenagers in the pus).

harry94, on 09 Dec 2014 - 23:23, said:

His twitter account has him as 'manager off Stranraer'. That would rule him out of the job if I was on the selection committee.

What if he's dyslexic? You'd have trouble on your hands if that was the case! ;)

What if he's dyslexic? You'd have trouble on your hands if that was the case! ;)

I'd probably be charged for just making that remark if he was associated with one of the Old Firm.

It's more that he's not noticed and it's been up for a while. If a Stranraer fan here could tell him then that would be grand.

This effectively confirms Ross County's relegation IMO. I seriously doubt McIntyre has the nous to bring in the brand new team needed in January for County to stay up.

Why would he need to replace anyone? Goodwin would be an excellent signing for most teams in the league, especially those who, like ourselves, would have enough squad depth to not take too much of a hit when he is inevitably suspended.His days look numbered at St Mirren, but in any case I think he'll just want to get out of the country and see out his career in England.
Why would he have to replace someone? Is there some limit to squad sizes I've not heard about.The current squad is pretty thin and lacks leadership. If he can get a handle on the discipline stuff I think the guy could be a welcome addition. I've always been impressed by him when he plays . In the middle of the park and we just might be the new start the guy needs.Did say I might be in a minority of one but who gives a stuff.
If he wasn't an absolute nutter on the pitch I'd have him in my team everyday. Problem is 95% of the time he is in full Ted Bundy mode or suspended.
Okay, first, by "replace" I meant who would he play in the team instead of.I'm guessing all the above posters visualise Goodwin playing the Osman midfield enforcer role. Or are any of you proposing him as a CB? Osman, who has played every minute of every game this season.A CB pairing of Dan and Frans, who appear to be viewed as the best CB pairing we've had in years. Any of you seriously saying Goodwin, is better than any of these? Or even better than Balatoni? (I'll leave Muirhead out of it, as he's marmite to most).Or you thinking of Osman and Goodwin in same team, and if so, who from Banzo/Fraser would have to make way?Goodwin is getting increasingly slow, clumsier and compensating that with bad tackles, elbows and so on. He won't improve, only get worse as he enters his playing career twilight days. If it was 3 or 4 years ago, the argument for us signing him would be stronger, but I can't see where he'd fit in as a regular starter (or regular sub getting game time) for us this season. Signing him now would be, in my opinion, an expensive outlay for little return of game time, and I am unsure if he's got another season of top flight football in him, so you're then looking at little more than four months 'worth' - and I'd rather we looked for longer-term and younger (and less hotheaded) signings.
Haud the bus. Are there really fans of other Premiership teams advocating recruiting Jim Goodwin in January?
Shocked and surprised me too as you can see.

Purely because they're at bigger clubs, and thus get more coverage.

Ask the same question in the League 1 forum and I guarantee he would get more than a few nominations.

Hartley was Alloa manager for two and a half years, and took them from the fourth tier to mid-table in the second tier before he joined Dundee. Aitken is doing a fantastic job at Stranraer, but it would be difficult to argue the case of him being a better manager than Hartley.

I'd be surprised if he didn't fancy a shot at top league football. He'll be casting an eye over the likes of Hartley and Neil and thinking, I could do that....

ETA: of course, we are still a good bet for relegation, so he might not fancy this particular punt.

I thought you were talking about Ally McCoist there, lol

Goodwin must stay if we have any chance of avoiding the play off place. Good that the coaching duties have been removed as he can now concentrate on playing.

Let the 2 Man City loanees return and tell another 5 (and we know who they are) to get their agents to find new Clubs for them as they won't get a game and bring in 5 more in January. We have the basis of a decent side but no depth. But things are suddenly looking up :)

Archived