The Next St. Mirren Manager....

You pays your money and you takes your choice...  

450 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By all accounts Butchers been offered the job but has stalled on signing it due to the McCoist saga

As far as I'm aware, Gilmour's on holiday til early next week and whilst George Campbell and Bryan McAusland will be doing plenty of ground work in sifting through CVs, it's highly unlikely they'll even interview, much less appoint til Gilmours back.

Also no chance of Kenny McDowell. In his own words to a fellow bud last season (when it appeared Danny was on his way), he and Durrant are getting paid more being a coach at Ibrox than any other gaffer in Scotland, bar Sally. Why would he walk into the firing line for far less money?

Yeah there won't be an appointment in the short term. I think Teale and Longwell will get to the Dundee game on the 27th at least.

The BOD will whittle down the applications to a short list of 5 or 6, then start interviewing. They haven't even got their short list yet.

I said at the time when TC was appointed that it was the wrong decision and St Mirren should of went for an up and coming young manager. I still stand by that, it's worked for us so far so I'd probably go for Ian Murray. I read a few pages back about part time football being more suitable at the moment but let's be honest, that's got to change at some point.

St Mirren are a well run club, decent stadium, decent training facilities, loyal fans but you've been let down on the park for many of years. League cup aside.

As far as I'm aware, Gilmour's on holiday til early next week and whilst George Campbell and Bryan McAusland will be doing plenty of ground work in sifting through CVs, it's highly unlikely they'll even interview, much less appoint til Gilmours back.

Hes viewed as the outstanding candidate and expressed an interest so Gilmour gave permission for talks to begin. It was going well until yesterday.

St Mirren are a well run club, decent stadium, decent training facilities, loyal fans but you've been let down on the park for many of years. League cup aside.

Coming from a Dundee fan :lol:

Hes viewed as the outstanding candidate and expressed an interest so Gilmour gave permission for talks to begin. It was going well until yesterday.

Don't know who your source is, but whoever they are they're off.

The BOD won't rush into this following criticism of rushing into TC's appointment. I think they're also keen to give Teale and Longwell a fair crack of the whip. That pair worked together successfully at the u20's last season.

After Parkhead tomorrow we have 3 consecutive games against fellow bottom 6 teams, 2 of which are at home. Couple of wins there and it's another internal promotion.

The BOD won't rush into this following criticism of rushing into TC's appointment. I think they're also keen to give Teale and Longwell a fair crack of the whip. That pair worked together successfully at the u20's last season.

After Parkhead tomorrow we have 3 consecutive games against fellow bottom 6 teams, 2 of which are at home. Couple of wins there and it's another internal promotion.

Its coming from a few places. They were willing to take their time over it unless an outstanding candidate expressed an interest. Butcher fits their criteria of being experienced in this league, capable of success with a small budget, willing to work with the current coaching staff, able to start straight away and not demanding a ridiculous wage. The board were also worried about the fans reaction to yet another inexperienced manager at such a precarious time so want an experienced manager in as soon as possible, so they deal was sanctioned to be agreed with Gilmour involved over the phone.

As I say it was going well until yesterday when Butchers head got turned.

Its coming from a few places. They were willing to take their time over it unless an outstanding candidate expressed an interest. Butcher fits their criteria of being experienced in this league, capable of success with a small budget, willing to work with the current coaching staff, able to start straight away and not demanding a ridiculous wage. The board were also worried about the fans reaction to yet another inexperienced manager at such a precarious time so want an experienced manager in as soon as possible, so they deal was sanctioned to be agreed with Gilmour involved over the phone.

As I say it was going well until yesterday when Butchers head got turned.

Where's it coming from?

Personally, I'd be surprised if Butcher was interested, and if he was I'd be even more surprised if he got the job.

Personally, I'd be surprised if Butcher was interested, and if he was I'd be even more surprised if he got the job.

He sees the fact your board would consider 10th a success this year appealing, while Motherwells board were asking for as high a finish as possible. Seemingly he wants a low pressure job with a decent squad after last years strainful experience.

That would be an insane way of appointing a manager. I'm amazed people are saying Teale could get the job, surely after appointing internally last time they aren't going to again based on you scraping a couple of wins in relatively easy games?

It's still the fashion at the moment to employ young untried managers, and people look at Hartley and Murray and think its a recipe for success. When really the number of failures of these first time managers is absolutely huge, and the ones who succeeded like Hartley and Murray started at a lower level than being thrown into a Premiership relegation fight.

If you think we've been 'let down on the park for many years', what would you say about Dundee fans over the same period...?

Why are you being so confrontational? He made a totally fair comment about the current state of the club and how he would see to make it better..

#leaveityeah

Why are you being so confrontational? He made a totally fair comment about the current state of the club and how he would see to make it better..

#leaveityeah

I think it may have been in reaction to the condescending and patronising tone of the post?

If a Celtic or Rangers fan talked about us have a 'decent' ground and training facilities, fair enough.

On the day TC was sacked, because the weather was a bit nippy, Saints decided not to train on one of the 3 full sized pitches at our purpose built training ground (one grass, two latest-gen artificial) and train inside the covered dome at St Mirren Park.

It's not Man City's £200m training ground, but for a Scottish club, it's way beyond decent.

I DO think the sentiment underlying the poster's comment is correct though, and the fact we have excellent facilities I've no doubt will make the job more attractive.

I think it may have been in reaction to the condescending and patronising tone of the post?

If a Celtic or Rangers fan talked about us have a 'decent' ground and training facilities, fair enough.

On the day TC was sacked, because the weather was a bit nippy, Saints decided not to train on one of the 3 full sized pitches at our purpose built training ground (one grass, two latest-gen artificial) and train inside the covered dome at St Mirren Park.

It's not Man City's £200m training ground, but for a Scottish club, it's way beyond decent.

I DO think the sentiment underlying the poster's comment is correct though, and the fact we have excellent facilities I've no doubt will make the job more attractive.

You need a cranberry juice then IMO.

Lex, on 13 Dec 2014 - 09:27, said:

If you think we've been 'let down on the park for many years', what would you say about Dundee fans over the same period...?

Wait... so if one team has been through it, that means they can't comment on another? Surely that makes them even more qualified to make a judgment?

That would be an insane way of appointing a manager. I'm amazed people are saying Teale could get the job, surely after appointing internally last time they aren't going to again based on you scraping a couple of wins in relatively easy games?

It's still the fashion at the moment to employ young untried managers, and people look at Hartley and Murray and think its a recipe for success. When really the number of failures of these first time managers is absolutely huge, and the ones who succeeded like Hartley and Murray started at a lower level than being thrown into a Premiership relegation fight.

Strange argument this one. Perhaps we should appoint an experienced pair of hands like Hibs did last season? I've heard that's guaranteed to work...

Any managerial appointment is a risk. Internal promotions sometimes work and they sometimes don't. Gus McPherson was a huge success for us when he was promoted from assistant to manager. Tommy Craig wasn't.

And likewise, appointing an experienced manager from outwith the club sometimes works... and sometimes doesn't.

To say appointing Teale won't work because appointing Tommy didn't... Where is the logic there? That's like saying we shouldn't employ an experienced manager because the last time we did (Davie Hay more than 20 years ago) it didn't work.

Gary Teale has the reigns and the job is his to lose. A couple of wins and the majority of fans will get behind him. A couple of wins and it's his.

Archived