On 24/06/2021 at 23:08, MuckleMoo said:

I've got an unhealthy obsession for tornadoes. Would love to go on one of those tornado chasing tours in america

I once stayed with a couple of lads in Tuscaloosa for a weekend and they were big into that. They told me a wild story of them chasing a tornado form Columbus (Mississippi) all the way back to Tuscaloosa, where it ripped through the town, causing about 20 deaths and completely obliterating about half the town. Utterly surreal. Their home town too. 

Edited by velo army

On 24/06/2021 at 22:56, Arch Stanton said:

Tornado today in Moravia, Czech Republic. Watch the trees in the background.

I'm amazed that closing the window - and then the blinds - didn't keep the tornado at bay. Amazed. 

12 hours ago, velo army said:

I once stayed with a couple of lads in Tuscaloosa for a weekend and they were big into that. They told me a wild story of them chasing a tornado form Columbus (Mississippi) all the way back to Tuscaloosa, where it ripped through the town, causing about 20 deaths and completely obliterating about half the town. Utterly surreal. Their home town too. 

What are the chances of that happening? Did they realise on the way it was heading to where they live?

13 hours ago, velo army said:

We don't get many tornadoes in Michigan. We get the occasional Tornado Watch alerts but this weekend we got only the second Tornado Warning in the nine years I've been living here. I dunno if it's fear of the unknown, or that you're at the mercy of nature, or that IT'S A FUCKING TORNADO but I found the whole affair pretty terrifying.

In the end, one did touch down but it was about a mile outside of town and headed north through fields rather than south through my house. Some amount of rain, though.

Edited by MSU

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What are the chances of that happening? Did they realise on the way it was heading to where they live?

Aye what they were saying was that they're super unpredictable, so no, they didn't know it was headed to town until it got a bit closer. Sometimes they die out, sometimes they make a sudden reverse (which sounds terrifying if you're following behind it) but aye, it started just outside Columbus, which is  56 miles from Tuscaloosa. Imagine a Tornado lasting that long. Mind boggling. I never experienced tornadoes when I was over there (they're a springtime phenomenon, I was there in summer), but I was in some fairly hefty thunderstorms. The weather really doesn't f**k about over there. 

I can kinda see a relationship between the fact that the "bible belt" and "tornado alley" are more or less the same. That kind of weather would make you believe that the very wrath of God was upon you.

23 minutes ago, velo army said:

Aye what they were saying was that they're super unpredictable, so no, they didn't know it was headed to town until it got a bit closer. Sometimes they die out, sometimes they make a sudden reverse (which sounds terrifying if you're following behind it) but aye, it started just outside Columbus, which is  56 miles from Tuscaloosa. Imagine a Tornado lasting that long. Mind boggling. I never experienced tornadoes when I was over there (they're a springtime phenomenon, I was there in summer), but I was in some fairly hefty thunderstorms. The weather really doesn't f**k about over there. 

I can kinda see a relationship between the fact that the "bible belt" and "tornado alley" are more or less the same. That kind of weather would make you believe that the very wrath of God was upon you.

I wondered if they'd had time to phone their Mum and get her to take the trampoline in.

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

First video I'd agree, second video from a different angle looks quite reckless from the owner. 

Weirdly enough I was discussing this today as gf was wearing one of my old tees while painting.

About 20 years ago I was on campus of University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa doing so research and as we drove off campus we could hear a siren start to go off but did not really take much notice.

Went to a shopping mall to buy the aforementioned tee shirt and as we walked in it looked eerily quiet.  We walked into a dept store and the further in we got be began to realise that nobody appeared to be around.

Out of nowhere a security guy appeared and ordered us to an area in the store where there were dozens of customers and staff sitting on the floor of the lingerie dept.  One girl was sobbing and another hyperventilating.  It was only then we were told it was because of a tornado warning (hence the siren).

We found it weird and joked that if it all went pear shaped we could be found dead wearing bra and knickers and that while my family would be mortified, my mate's family would think nothing of it as he was from Arbroath.  We looked around at everyone else and how serious and scared they were.  Ignorance is bliss as they say.

We got out some time later and the main highway had debris strewn all over it  branches, rubbish and some trees/power lines partially down) and the sky was dark and you could feel the air pressure.  Turned out a tornado had not hit the area but severe high winds caused quite a lot on damage.

10 days later (we were back in Scotland by then) a big one went through it and devastated the area.  Quite a few people lost their lives.  I even found footage of the tornado taking out part of the shopping wall we had been in when we joked about being found dressed up like a Tory MP.

I travel a lot and meet people from many countries and they always find it weird that we have very few extreme weather patterns that kill (tornados, earthquakes, volcanoes or animals (from spiders to elephants) that kill you.