3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

@throbber

Saw this from a locked account I follow and immediately thought of you.

05790948-CB46-4F9D-896F-8EC4624A8290.thumb.jpeg.b3c907a7162962821f9173b052dd476d.jpeg

Why is it weird that their mates have asked if they could bring drink? 

They seen a potential problem - sobriety (if in recovery) - and have opened dialogue about it.

The person who wrote this isn't their mate. They're a self centred attention seeking arsehole.

I think it's more about drinking at a kids party, bringing it directly into the previous debates on when is it OK for throbber to crack open a cooking lager or seven.

I have gone down the 'alcohol at children's parties' rabbit hole and the accepted wisdom is that if there is a high adult-child ratio then alcohol is more acceptable.  So if it's a family party with parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins and one or two kids then alcoholic drinks are fine.  If there are twenty kids and a bouncy castle in the garden then it probably isn't.  

I think it goes without saying that adults shouldn't get drunk or drink heavily around children.

Edited by ICTChris

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I think it's more about drinking at a kids party, bringing it directly into the previous debates on when is it OK for throbber to crack open a cooking lager or seven.

It wasn’t a kids party though as I said on several occasions. My nephew was turning 2 the following weekend but we had organised a get together as my mrs side of family hadn’t all been together for years as her sister lives down south and on the day of the get together nobody bought any booze. There were 3 kids and 10 adults iirc.

18 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I have gone down the 'alcohol at children's parties' rabbit hole and the accepted wisdom is that if there is a high adult-child ratio then alcohol is more acceptable.  So if it's a family party with parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins and one or two kids then alcoholic drinks are fine.  If there are twenty kids and a bouncy castle in the garden then it probably isn't.  

I think it goes without saying that adults shouldn't get drunk or drink heavily around children.

I doubt many would argue with the last sentence but I don't really see much wrong with having a can of lager at a Kids' party as long as it's just that, a can of lager.  Maybe 2 at a push. 3 if it's a long day.  And one for the road doesn't seem so out of place.  So aye, getting pished is almost a prerequisite for attending a kids party. 

10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I doubt many would argue with the last sentence but I don't really see much wrong with having a can of lager at a Kids' party as long as it's just that, a can of lager.  Maybe 2 at a push. 3 if it's a long day.  And one for the road doesn't seem so out of place.  So aye, getting pished is almost a prerequisite for attending a kids party. 

Fehv n' drehv.

You've firgot whar yi cumfae,  like ken!

Surely the acceptability of adults boozing at a kids' party depends on the presence of raging roasters who turn into violent arseholes and/or sobbing drama queens at a sniff of the barmaid's apron.

Stuck by it because it's so much easier to find the football scores on than Facebook, Mastodon etc. Elon has fucked it. Getting scary being Queer on the Internet and my mental health doesn't need that. I'm done

18 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

New York seems to have discovered "bins"

I'm confused; what did they do with their garbage before?

It seemed to get stored in the streets in gritty '70s films about urban decay, but it was all nice and clean by the time Carrie was chasing after Mr Big.

3 hours ago, BTFD said:

I'm confused; what did they do with their garbage before?

It seemed to get stored in the streets in gritty '70s films about urban decay, but it was all nice and clean by the time Carrie was chasing after Mr Big.

Mountains of bin liners full of stinking crap on the pavement.

NYC program aims to place garbage in large bins to clean up ...