30 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Reminds me of the late great Chic Murray.... a wee story...

"It certainly didn't help that he continued to hirple on, as his fellow Scots might have put it, without a proper London-based agent putting in the calls on his behalf. It didn't help, either, that he had scared the odd producer in the past with his mischievous flights of fancy (he once tricked the chat show host Simon Dee into trying to repeat the name of the French Polishers for whom Chic claimed he had once worked: 'Hunt, Lunt & Cunningham')."

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

now it's just tragically bald dads and their witless banter replies to people I follow

At least you can escape from that kind of nonsense on here.

37 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

Is there anyone who just casually likes star trek/wars?

Seems to be like smack for nerds. You can't just dabble, have to fully commit.

Star Wars is definitely more casual because they're big movies, I've seen them all and would say I'm a fan, no interest in the lore or background stuff about it but Star Trek is deffo more niche and nerdy. 

If it's nerds we're on about, Glasgow is awash with them this weekend for the Comic Con at the SEC. Fully grown adults cutting about in the full regalia of their favourite characters. Just weird imo, but each to their own I suppose. Seen a few ill-fitted sights that I wish I hadn't. 

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

If it's nerds we're on about, Glasgow is awash with them this weekend for the Comic Con at the SEC. Fully grown adults cutting about in the full regalia of their favourite characters. Just weird imo, but each to their own I suppose. Seen a few ill-fitted sights that I wish I hadn't. 

Wandering about Parkhead after the game today were you?

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

Many years ago, again in Glasgow there was a Comic Con and STV news covered it.

One young lad came out with the quote of the year, 'It was great seeing a Klingon in real life'

3 hours ago, RawB93 said:

I liked the 90s Star Trek with Picard and that. Not really bothered about the rest of it. I kind of think I'd like to be super into something, as a hobby would be good, but then I remember I'm incredibly lazy.

4 hours ago, RawB93 said:

I like some Star Trek (3 of the old films, Next Generation, DS9, Enterprise, Picard and Strange New Worlds) and don't like some Star Trek (Original Series, Voyager, Discovery, 3 of the original films and most of the Next Generation and JJ Abrhams films). 

I like the original Star Wars trilogy, some of the newer films and have never seen any of the "expanded Universe" stuff like Mandalorian or the animated stuff. 

Think it's more common than you think. Similar can probably be said of Harry Potter, Terry Pratchet, and a few others. 

6 hours ago, RawB93 said:

A bit like @Salvo Montalbano, there is Star Trek I like and some I cannot stand. 

I like Star Wars, but for me it comes down to a few things. First, as a kid I just loved the original Star Trek series and some movies. Then, as I got older and some real peaks/highlights came along, mostly in The Next Generation and DS9, it blew me away. You can watch it casually or go in for huge story arcs, it has both.

In short, bad Star Trek is far, far worse than bad Star Wars, but good Star Trek is miles better than good Star Wars.