1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

I don't understand what people in office jobs were doing before the Internet.

It was much more challenging. There was phone services, like dial a disc and some football clubs had a phone news service. You had to time looking out the window carefully. Walk about talking to your pals, pretending to look for files. Take a union position and either sleep in the union room or go to the pub. My mates used to come to the public counter and demand interviews with me and we'd have a few cans in a private interview room.

I presume we're all lying to the youngsters about how things were back before the internet, yes?

Seems to be one of the privileges of getting old: testing to see if kids are still as gullible as we were.

7 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I don't understand what people in office jobs were doing before the Internet.

We used to have a device in the office called "message switching". First person in would turn it on, and a load of printed messages came out from the other 30 offices round the country - was very easy for unscrupulous and lazy employees just to chuck them straight in the bin !

When I started, we did have computer terminals - one on every floor - but it was just data input and there were computer operators in the basement that "ran" big tapes onto the mainframe every night.

If I explain this stuff to my son, he thinks it is stone age stuff.

I have to say, skiving down to the pub was a hell of a lot easier too, as we had wee plastic punch cards and used to send one guy back up to "key us all back in".

Great days....................

My first ever job was on a building site and we had an old boy from Dunfermline called Jordy who was about 70 and when he wasn't on site reekin' of whiskey, he was in the pub shovelling it down his throat. Looking back now, 20 years on it was quite scary he got away with it and boys weren't trying to get him help.

Friday dinner times we all used to scoop 4 pint in an hour then go back to site. Must have been mayhem in the 60s etc.

Another example of the old old tale - dad walks out on family to pursue breakdancing, daughter makes funny TikTok dad responds and then the daughter double milkshake ducks him. How many times have we seen this story?

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Another example of the old old tale - dad walks out on family to pursue breakdancing, daughter makes funny TikTok dad responds and then the daughter double milkshake ducks him. How many times have we seen this story?

I think he left because he could see how irritating she would be.

5 hours ago, ICTChris said:

He seems an absolute wrong un. Even with his video, rather than apologise or explain why he was absent he shoehorns in his shite dance moves. You can see where his priorities are. 

5 hours ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

After doing this, my initial criticism of his comments may have been a tad hypocritical. I lost 12-0 to Partick and fought Gordon Ramsay and the Janny. Other than that, sweet as. 

Edited by buchan30

On 11/08/2023 at 18:39, stimpy said:

Reports are that 8 officers were involved and the usual suspects have shared the shit outa the pic of that one female police officer. 

Her actions may well lead to a dismissal for gross misconduct and she would lose everything and that's how the law should work. This trial by social media professional outrage accounts boils my piss and as I said once they've destroyed her completely the sharks move on looking for fresh meat. 

West Yorkshire Police has been ordered to apologise to a 16-year-old girl after footage of her arrest went viral with claims she said an officer 'looked like her lesbian nana'.

Police watchdogs ruled the West Yorkshire Police (WYP) must write a letter of apology to the girl after an officer used 'inappropriate language' during the arrest which occurred in the early hours of Monday, August 7, last year.