4 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Ship hits bridge pier in Baltimore. Bridge down. Sair yin.

How was that c**t filming it at 01:30 in the morning but, know?

Limmy's Show: Dee Dee: Moon - video Dailymotion

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

US infrastructure is fucked due to combinations of piss poor design, years of neglect and underfunded maintenance.  Loads of older bridges have f**k all in terms of collision protection around piers in shipping lanes (Tay Road bridge was only upgraded a few years ago) and were probably never designed to withstand an out of control ship full of containers of whatever Baltimore is famous for these days.

Plus if it was made of concrete, it would still be standing*.

Reveal hidden contents

* it would have fell down years ago due to chloride induced corrosion of prestressing tendons as Americans know f**k all about concrete.

Is it still famous for shite rappers?

15 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Is 'eating' literally the most basic human function there is? At least outside of automatic things like breathing? I think it might be. How can someone work 70 hours a week from home and be physically or mentally unable to... feed themselves?

Just wanted to respond to this wee bit. I don't really disagree with you in that I also find folk willing to spend £20 or whatever getting a breakfast delivered every morning a bit strange, but then, I'm neither profoundly disabled enough to justify that, or wealthy enough to be able to afford to do it myself.

What I did want to say though is that the work/inability to feed thing isn't all that alien to me. It's the sort of thing that's commonplace with people who have certain conditions known for obsessive thinking, routines, disordered thinking or such. I know that if I'm feeling a bit off kilter sometimes I'll go 48 hours or so before I "remember" to eat anything, but it doesn't stop me doing other stuff, including work, or being absolutely glued to forums/games for hours on end.

Most mornings I get up and one of the first things I'll do is boil the kettle and lay out my favourite mug for making a cup of tea, but now and again I'll be stood in the kitchen at 7 or 8pm that night, looking at the cup, and realising that after I put it down I sat down at the computer, logged in to do some work stuff, and haven't got out of the seat once in the time since. It's not a conscious choice to put off eating/drinking/toileting, it just happens. Brain is so focussed on on particular thing that it completely "forgets" about everything else 🤷‍♂️

The phenomenon of Autistic "special interests" is fairly well understood, and I'm a classic example of that myself in certain respects, but the obsessive fixations to the exclusion of everything else doesn't just apply to things like collectibles, or being fascinated with trains or dinosaurs, or one particular TV show, it can be a problem with just basic day to day living as well. Hyper-focus can be helpful, but it's also problematic.

I'm 99% certain my Mrs is undiagnosed ADHD. She's never been tested for it, but all the signs are there. Her life and her home is utterly chaotic, including things like never being able to feed herself regularly or even throw together a quick breakfast on a work day, yet she holds down a 40 hour per week job that actually revolves around organising, lists, systems, order, catalogues, archives etc. Some people just have brains that can't do certain things in certain contexts, but can in a different context.

Edited by Boo Khaki

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I'm just imagining the meeting where the cops try to sort out who has to take the bodies.

Hearing reports that the ship hitting the bridge was due to someone on-board deliberately trying to cover up for there being some dead sex workers in the hold. 

Edited by AUcal

4 hours ago, 101 said:

Totally different scale boat, but clearly the US need to employ @Melanius Mullarkey's Korean cousin.

No bridge will survive a hit by a massive ship, as Welsh pointed out above, the stresses are in the “wrong” direction. The bridge was completed in 1977, so it’s not that “old” by the timescale of such structures.

What it does seem to be missing, like the Sunshine Skyway did in Tampa, is appropriate, or at least strong enough, protective piers or materials to prevent such an impact to a vertical support. Given the ridiculously low relative cost of driving a series of protective piers around those pillars, this is a tragedy that was years in the making.

Note the Russian ship hitting the concrete structure around the pillars, and not the pillar themselves. Also, the Russian ship was right at 7,000 tonnes…this was a 95.000 ton (unloaded) ship.

Edited by TxRover

22 hours ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Watching the left eat itself?

Thats what’s slowly happening all over the world, the left has disappeared up its arse with in fighting and the right wing is lapping it up and doing what they can to step ever further right because the opposition has destroyed itself. 

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

200 thousand tons hitting something sideways whose main strength is resisting vertical forces could do a bit of damage. Looks like the ship lost power so couldn't steer but still with huge momentum, you'd have thought tugs would be compulsory to lead it out of the harbour.

Here’s a snap analysis by a shipping vlogger that notes the tugs leaving shortly after the Dali left the quay and was established in the channel, under way with no power issues.

2 hours ago, RawB93 said:

How was that c**t filming it at 01:30 in the morning but, know?

Webcam.

1 hour ago, AUcal said:

Hearing reports that the ship hitting the bridge was due to someone on-board deliberately trying to cover up for there being some dead sex workers in the hold. 

Covering up criminal activity on a boat by instigating an investigation into the boat is an interesting tack.

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:

Covering up criminal activity on a boat by instigating an investigation into the boat is an interesting tack.

True. Made for great viewing on The Wire though.

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Surely a "wait until in deep water/fling overboard in a tattie sack full of rocks" approach would be more circumspect anyway. 

That's what I'd do if I was a merchant seaman with a habit of bringing sex-workers on board and then murdering them. I think. 

4 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Just wanted to respond to this wee bit. I don't really disagree with you in that I also find folk willing to spend £20 or whatever getting a breakfast delivered every morning a bit strange, but then, I'm neither profoundly disabled enough to justify that, or wealthy enough to be able to afford to do it myself.

What I did want to say though is that the work/inability to feed thing isn't all that alien to me. It's the sort of thing that's commonplace with people who have certain conditions known for obsessive thinking, routines, disordered thinking or such. I know that if I'm feeling a bit off kilter sometimes I'll go 48 hours or so before I "remember" to eat anything, but it doesn't stop me doing other stuff, including work, or being absolutely glued to forums/games for hours on end.

Most mornings I get up and one of the first things I'll do is boil the kettle and lay out my favourite mug for making a cup of tea, but now and again I'll be stood in the kitchen at 7 or 8pm that night, looking at the cup, and realising that after I put it down I sat down at the computer, logged in to do some work stuff, and haven't got out of the seat once in the time since. It's not a conscious choice to put off eating/drinking/toileting, it just happens. Brain is so focussed on on particular thing that it completely "forgets" about everything else 🤷‍♂️

The phenomenon of Autistic "special interests" is fairly well understood, and I'm a classic example of that myself in certain respects, but the obsessive fixations to the exclusion of everything else doesn't just apply to things like collectibles, or being fascinated with trains or dinosaurs, or one particular TV show, it can be a problem with just basic day to day living as well. Hyper-focus can be helpful, but it's also problematic.

I'm 99% certain my Mrs is undiagnosed ADHD. She's never been tested for it, but all the signs are there. Her life and her home is utterly chaotic, including things like never being able to feed herself regularly or even throw together a quick breakfast on a work day, yet she holds down a 40 hour per week job that actually revolves around organising, lists, systems, order, catalogues, archives etc. Some people just have brains that can't do certain things in certain contexts, but can in a different context.

Thank you for typing out a more reasoned and thought-out post than I could have mustered.

I am someone who regularly gets to 7/8pm and wonders why my stomach is screaming at me and I'm so sluggish. I need prompted to do most normal things and like you, can sit and do the same task from first cup of tea until bed time.

(I am awaiting assessment for ADHD)

This has just served to remind me that I haven't actually eaten a meal since Saturday evening, and it's not because of a lack of food in the fridge. Just hasn't occurred to me to make anything because I've been too engrossed in other things. Actually Thursday was the last time I cooked, because we got takeaway on Friday and ate out on Saturday, both at the behest of Mrs, else I'd probably be on my 5th night in a row without dinner. :bag