Unpopular opinions.

Seems like I’ve made my point terribly. Obviously there’s very few (lucky) people who do a job they enjoy, but it is possible. My point was that DA had said he would like to never work again, regardless of the job, when if I was in a similar situation of hating every second of working life I’d probably try to do something to rectify it like looking to move into something that I enjoy. Work doesn’t have to be a slog, although I appreciate it’s not an easy fix.

I would also happily retire now if I could, but think I’d try to start up a business or do something rather than never work again. 

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

According to a 2014 report, 62% of senior armed forces officers went to private school and a further 30% went to grammar schools. Only 8% went to comps. That's a far greater proportion being privately educated than Cabinet Ministers, Lords, diplomats, people on the Sunday Times rich list... the only group they found with a greater proportion from private schools was senior judges, at 71%.

For context, only 7% of people in the UK are privately educated.

The armed forces are incredibly class-based, and I'd say it's deliberate. In Britain it's easier to get people to follow instructions if the person giving the orders is from a higher class.

Check out the percentage of BBC news presenters down south who went to private schools. Utterly shocking...

This could go either way.

c***s setting off fireworks at home. Get them tae f**k. Banned for sale to public.

Total arseholes.

Absolutely spot on!
Fireworks should only be for the proper public displays. The moronic general public shouldn’t be able to get their hands on them. Especially not the fucking roaster close to my house that seems to have bought about 3 hours worth. f**k off!

1 hour ago, Black Dug said:

Not disputing that some of the Armed forces are from entitled backgrounds. (thanks for taking the time to research it...)

I would hazard that this is squewed by the army where you have families who have a tradition of service and are sufficiently well off to be able to make it their career despite the, relatively, low wages on offer.

In my experience this is less so within the RN and RAF. Commissioning from the ranks is encouraged with no barriers to where you can make it to based on where you went to school etc. A recent Air Member for personnel (Air Marshal rank - General equiv) was commissioned whilst he was serving as a corporal.

Irrespective, I have seen little evidence of nepotism in my time so I'm confident that despite your background if you are promoted you will be due it on merit rather than by what tie you wore at dinner.

I also dispute your theory that it's easier to take orders from someone based on their class. The military have a command chain that follows a rank structure. If you are given an order by a more senior rank you follow it (unless it is an illegal order, defined by military law). Every rank is aware of this. Most of the orders that the lowest members of the services will receive will be from their immediate superiors, the corporals and sergeants, not the Eton educated Brigadier.

You would have thought after WW1 that letting upper class muppets rule the armed forces was a bad idea.

Tally ho you boys walk slowly at the machine guns. It’s utterly unthinkable that it was assumed to be a good idea. Only after they actually listened to non career officers from Canada they made progress. The Germans actually copied this for blitzkreig it was so effective. 

Blackadder wasn’t far away from the truth.

1 hour ago, Angusfifer said:

Check out the percentage of BBC news presenters down south who went to private schools. Utterly shocking...

The proportion of BBC executives who were privately educated is 26%. Nowhere near the level of the armed forces, and far below even tabloid columnists.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/elitist-britain 

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Seems like I’ve made my point terribly. Obviously there’s very few (lucky) people who do a job they enjoy, but it is possible. My point was that DA had said he would like to never work again, regardless of the job, when if I was in a similar situation of hating every second of working life I’d probably try to do something to rectify it like looking to move into something that I enjoy. Work doesn’t have to be a slog, although I appreciate it’s not an easy fix.

I would also happily retire now if I could, but think I’d try to start up a business or do something rather than never work again. 

I am trying to move jobs. Due to my own deficiencies it isn't proving easy, and my next role will almost certainly be a move sideways for now.

Fair enough if you wanted to keep working if you could retire from your current career, but it's not some sort of mental opinion that folk would never work again if they could. Having the freedom to do what you like would be incredible.

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:
24 minutes ago, GordonS said:
What percentage?

There's a blog on the spectator that lays it out somewhere. Not my ideal publication to reference sorry

I've seen it today, oddly enough, because of this thread and my pathetic need to always be right. It quotes as its source a comment from BTL on the Guardian article about the report I mentioned earlier. It might all be true, but it doesn't say how many people are employed at/ write for The Guardian.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

This could go either way.

c***s setting off fireworks at home. Get them tae f**k. Banned for sale to public.

Total arseholes.

I've observed this seems the work of the poorer classes.

I see fireworks going off from various places inhabited by the scum classes.

Really have to wonder how poor people seem more likely to smoke and feel good about wasting their limited disposable income on fireworks.

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Some huge percentage of even the leftie guardian are privately educated, oxbridge PPE graduates.

Even? The Guardian has been champagne leftie / 'Progressive' trash for many years now.

Guest Moomintroll
You would have thought after WW1 that letting upper class muppets rule the armed forces was a bad idea.
Tally ho you boys walk slowly at the machine guns. It’s utterly unthinkable that it was assumed to be a good idea. Only after they actually listened to non career officers from Canada they made progress. The Germans actually copied this for blitzkreig it was so effective. 
Blackadder wasn’t far away from the truth.

100% this, although I will always wear the poppy in an act of Remberance we should never forget that Earl Haig was an upper class twit who was happy to send millions to a pointless death.

I've observed this seems the work of the poorer classes.
I see fireworks going off from various places inhabited by the scum classes.
Really have to wonder how poor people seem more likely to smoke and feel good about wasting their limited disposable income on fireworks.

I had something almost identical typed out but deleted it because I didn’t really know how to word it without sounding like a dick but you’ve done pretty well. Always end up seeing some video of young belters from Castlemilk no doubt spending the minimal disposable income they have on fireworks to fire at each other in the street.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:
1 hour ago, GordonS said:
I've seen it today, oddly enough, because of this thread and my pathetic need to always be right. It quotes as its source a comment from BTL on the Guardian article about the report I mentioned earlier. It might all be true, but it doesn't say how many people are employed at/ write for The Guardian.

I suppose my point isn't so much tied up in precision & just that the folk writing our news are by and large from a narrow slice of society.

Yeah, I'm sure that's true. And it's reflected in what they write and say.