Unpopular opinions.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

I object to the use of the word Champions when it's the top 4 clubs in the big leagues who compete.

I agree, the whole competition is a pile of shite.

Out of interest, how many "champions" have won it in the last say 10 years?

13 hours ago, Snafu said:

It's entirely acceptable to eat a sandwich with a knife and fork under certain circumstances.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Yeah, if you're a paedo

15 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

What circumstances are these?

how 'bout if it's a cheese toastie, where the melted internal dairy-based comestible takes on the form of the radioactive sludge at the bottom of the chernobyl reactor core and exists at a temperature in excess of four billion degrees centigrade, and will dissolve your fingers if it comes in to contact with them ?

is it not acceptable to cut bits off with a knife and/or fork and blow them a bit, spreading crumbs, incandescent cheese micro-particles and germs around the place, before burning your mouth ?

or has a toastie ceased to be a sandwich and taken on a (half) life of its own, thereby being governed by an entirely different set of rules ?

asking for a friend...

6 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I think the viewing figures tell us that's a pretty popular opinion.

I assumed viewing figures worldwide would be pretty good for the champions league. Are they poor?

Edit: Looked it up and some sources say the final between Real Madrid and Liverpool had 380 million viewers, and then the Spurs Liverpool final broke BT’s viewing record last year. 

Edited by Honest_Man#1

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I assumed viewing figures worldwide would be pretty good for the champions league. Are they poor?

Group stage viewing figures are pretty dismal. The final attracts a huge crowd, but that's on a Saturday night and is one of the most hyped events of the sporting year.

Week-in, week-out, your average football fan is not watching Champions League games. Sky and BT have both seriously struggled to pull in an audience for it. Not followed the story recently, but I know UEFA (read sponsors) were unhappy with the figures on BT Sport and Sky.

Group stage viewing figures are pretty dismal. The final attracts a huge crowd, but that's on a Saturday night and is one of the most hyped events of the sporting year.
Week-in, week-out, your average football fan is not watching Champions League games. Sky and BT have both seriously struggled to pull in an audience for it. Not followed the story recently, but I know UEFA (read sponsors) were unhappy with the figures on BT Sport and Sky.

The mrs was out last night so scanned the CL fixtures to see if I should take advantage.

Nope.

19 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I gave up paying the BT subs on top of Sky just for the CL, wasn't worth it. Must be a lot of people doing the same.

3 minutes ago, Dele said:

The Champions League was superb last season. 

Was it really though?

There were 125 matches in the competition last year.

The semi-finals were very exciting, for sure. And the quarters had two exciting ties.

However, 20 games in the group stages (out of a total of 96) were won by three goals or more. Superb viewing?

The fourteen knockout ties leading up to the final included aggregate scores of 4-0 (twice), 10-2, 5-1, 6-1.

That's more than a third of the knockout ties being walkovers. Superb?

And then the final was pish. Yet the hype machine takes a handful of ties and builds a narrative of a great season around it. Most of it was shite.