Unpopular opinions.

33 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

In the last half century things have changed really quickly and judge for yourself if you think society is happier, healthier and more stable now.

Think rapacious neoliberalism has more to do with the general decline in the wellbeing and happiness of society rather than y'know the decline of the nuclear family in itself.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

I'm not religious but I would say that I see marriage as generally a good thing and maybe as people are more self centred these days they tend to not commit or do less selfless things.
Dont agree with all the religious mumbo jumbo but its a decent foundation thats pretty much worked for centuries.
Disagree that people thought they would go to hell or were scared, most did it for positive reasons.
In the last half century things have changed really quickly and judge for yourself if you think society is happier, healthier and more stable now.

Marriage is being seen by more people as an unnecessarily large expense. For many folk they could use the cost of a wedding as a deposit on a house, especially when house prices continue to be ludicrous and will only go in one direction. The number of weddings that are just for the legal side of things is rising.

Marriage isn't necessary for commitment either. Plenty of folk get by fine without it.

Marriage isn't a bad thing though and there's still plenty of people who do it, but it isn't a prerequisite of raising kids who won't be arseholes.

On 17/08/2020 at 13:55, D.A.F.C said:

Not sure if its just a fife thing but the amount of single parent families these days seems to be off the scale on Facebook. Call me old fashioned but kids need a stable home with two parents and to know how to behave should be the baseline.
Not blaming any single parents but its a fact that kids usually don't do as well and get into bother.

Someone I used to know has a 18 year old and just laughed at him posting up bragging about drug dealing.
What a f**k up

I’m a single parent. With three decent kids who are all performing well in school. None of them have been in trouble and have good social circles.

I can trust them to be polite and behave at friends houses, interact with adults and eat in restaurants of a higher standard than McDonald’s.

The life they have now is far more settled and stable to what was going on.

But you bang on with your casual stereotyping.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Marriage is being seen by more people as an unnecessarily large expense

... hence the last thing you want is the need for an extra babysitter or expensive dresses/suits for your kids that they'll grow out of in a couple of months.  The only sensible frugal thing to do is have the kids after the wedding.

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

I've never understood people that get married that aren't religious in the slightest, very expensive excuse for a piss up.

I can't remember exact details, but there's a pile of legal guff that can result in shitstorms if something happens to couples that are (in the eyes of the law) nothing more than live-in girlfriend and boyfriend.  

My other half and I have been trying to get wills formalised with a solicitor for seemingly ages now and he awkwardly keeps saying "get married, it's easier".

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

I've never understood people that get married that aren't religious in the slightest, very expensive excuse for a piss up.

You can get married for about £100 at registry office!

5 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

I'm not religious but I would say that I see marriage as generally a good thing and maybe as people are more self centred these days they tend to not commit or do less selfless things.
Dont agree with all the religious mumbo jumbo but its a decent foundation thats pretty much worked for centuries.
Disagree that people thought they would go to hell or were scared, most did it for positive reasons.

There's good reasons why marriage was more important in 1620 than 2020. For most of the the last centuries, life was much tougher than it is today. Without birth control people had larger families, so women spent a large amount of time being pregnant and without modern technology, looking after children, the house etc, was a far more time consuming job. Men generally did demanding physical jobs to support families. The traditional model made a lot of sense when the world was a very different place.

A lot of the drivers that necessitated that kind of model simply don't exist any more.

How the hell is getting married "selfless"?

4 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

There's good reasons why marriage was more important in 1620 than 2020

What happened before marriage?

Folk  have been shagging for fucking years, I know that because I'm here.

Marriage is a construct by some c**t that wanted to have a hold over the general populous.

1 minute ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

What happened before marriage?

Folk  have been shagging for fucking years, I know that because I'm here.

Marriage is a construct by some c**t that wanted to have a hold over the general populous.

Well aye, obviously. I don't really mean the actual legal definition of marriage, more the 'traditional' family model.