Unpopular opinions.

I have some opinions that even I don't really agree with they are that unpopular.

One is about adulthood and people who are really into things that, a few years ago, were for children.  Video games, superhero movies, Harry Potter books etc.  There's something odd to me about people in their 30s and 40s spending significant time in their lives playing computer games or rewatching entire superhero franchises in their 'man caves'.  I have colleagues who are older than I am and have children who have rooms in their houses for all their gaming stuff, rooms they forbid their children to enter or use.  I just find that odd - I think back to when I was a kid and what my dad did in his spare time and what other people's dads did, I don't remember many people having interests that would directly cross over with their childrens.  What did people used to do for the time that they now spend playing video games?  Maybe they just watched more TV and games are a better use of their time.  A lot of people seem to live in a petrfieid adolescence, everyone dresses the same when they are 45 as they did when they were 15 now.  I'm not some sort of martyr, I do often think I'm too scruffy wearing jeans and a polo shirt to take my wee boy to the park or pick him up from nursery and then you get there and half the other dads are wearing tracksuits with the arses hanging down.

On the other hand though, what does it matter if people play video games, they aren't hurting anyone.  Maybe it's a generational thing and I'm out of touch by viewing video games as something for kids when they are in fact more like movies or novels now, something that can be enjoyed by everyone.  Also, people's time preferences change depending on what is available.  I remember reading an article about football crowds in the 20th century and one reason that you had such enormous attendances in the early and middle 20th century is that watching football was one of the few sources of entertainment for people.  Once things like television became affordable people could do that instead - the article also made the point that a pastime like gardening, unavailable to everyone but the rich for most of history, became something that far more people could do with the advent of council housing and clearences of slums.  Maybe video games are like that, gardening for the 21st century and I am just a Luddite.

I'm sure on adults reading Harry Potter books though, they are clearly weirdos and the people who play Quidditch on the Meadows need a fucking slap.

37 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:
21 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
Only fools and horses
Dad Army
Porridge
Fawlty towers

All gash, and if there are others of the era/genre I have missed, they are gash too.

All of them.

Only Fools is good. The rest are absolutely shite.

I like ofah until they get girlfriends. It then rapidly descends to utter shit and the nadir of an hour long miami caper. 

I don't see how anyone can dislike Fawlty towers

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I do often think I'm too scruffy wearing jeans and a polo shirt to take my wee boy to the park or pick him up from nursery and then you get there and half the other dads are wearing tracksuits with the arses hanging down.

image.thumb.png.99a95913593ee6a0ad9ef678cd4419f9.png

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

1 minute ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Poor, poor child.

I despair, but realise he thinks he's perfectly normal.

Sadly, he'll grow up to be an utter c*nt like his father. It's the way of the world.

I'm sure on adults reading Harry Potter books though, they are clearly weirdos and the people who play Quidditch on the Meadows need a fucking slap.

EgDna5ZXsAA-H1_.jpg

We’ve let the “let people enjoy things!!!” crowd get away with murder

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

13 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

EgDna5ZXsAA-H1_.jpg

I'm of the last generation who didn't read Harry Potter books as a kid so perhaps it's my own "ok boomer" blind spot.

21 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Only fools and horses
Dad Army
Porridge
Fawlty towers

All gash, and if there are others of the era/genre I have missed, they are gash too.

All of them.

When compared with the likes of "Allo Allo" and "Hi de Hi" the above are comedy masterpieces - which OFAH is anyway.   

27 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

EgDna5ZXsAA-H1_.jpg

Das Boot outstanding, probably my second favourite foreign language film, no idea if this is unpopular or not. 

37 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

EgDna5ZXsAA-H1_.jpg

Where is that list from? Girls from a primary school class and men from a nursing home?  Bladerunner 2049 probably the only one I'd go out of my way to watch. 

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Sweet chilli flavour is the most overrated flavour of anything anywhere. 

I raise you 'Salted Caramel'.

57 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I have some opinions that even I don't really agree with they are that unpopular.

One is about adulthood and people who are really into things that, a few years ago, were for children.  Video games, superhero movies, Harry Potter books etc.  There's something odd to me about people in their 30s and 40s spending significant time in their lives playing computer games or rewatching entire superhero franchises in their 'man caves'.  I have colleagues who are older than I am and have children who have rooms in their houses for all their gaming stuff, rooms they forbid their children to enter or use.  I just find that odd - I think back to when I was a kid and what my dad did in his spare time and what other people's dads did, I don't remember many people having interests that would directly cross over with their childrens.  What did people used to do for the time that they now spend playing video games?  Maybe they just watched more TV and games are a better use of their time.  A lot of people seem to live in a petrfieid adolescence, everyone dresses the same when they are 45 as they did when they were 15 now.  I'm not some sort of martyr, I do often think I'm too scruffy wearing jeans and a polo shirt to take my wee boy to the park or pick him up from nursery and then you get there and half the other dads are wearing tracksuits with the arses hanging down.

On the other hand though, what does it matter if people play video games, they aren't hurting anyone.  Maybe it's a generational thing and I'm out of touch by viewing video games as something for kids when they are in fact more like movies or novels now, something that can be enjoyed by everyone.  Also, people's time preferences change depending on what is available.  I remember reading an article about football crowds in the 20th century and one reason that you had such enormous attendances in the early and middle 20th century is that watching football was one of the few sources of entertainment for people.  Once things like television became affordable people could do that instead - the article also made the point that a pastime like gardening, unavailable to everyone but the rich for most of history, became something that far more people could do with the advent of council housing and clearences of slums.  Maybe video games are like that, gardening for the 21st century and I am just a Luddite.

'Video games are childish/just for kids' isn't just wrong, it's moronic. Gaming had been popular for decades amongst adults as well, not just in the last few years. What's the difference between playing a game and watching a film or TV show? What makes one 'childish' but the other not? The 'petrified adolescence' stuff is utter garbage. Maybe it applies in some cases but to characterise everyone who likes video games as such is a total 'yer da' bag of shit that tried to affect an air of superiority and belittle folk. I suppose they should be out getting pissed, having fights and shagging birds all the time like folk who don't play video games clearly do?

Also I'll disagree with you on superhero movies being just for kids. Arrogant, condescending nonsense, and whilst I like many of them I'm not a massive fan with merchandise or any of that stuff. There's many very old fashioned and odd sneering attitudes about those films, and I don't really get where they come from. A comedy like Anchorman is very juvenile but folk don't go around saying that it's only for children and that folk who watch it have 'man caves' and other stereotypes.