Unpopular opinions.

3 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Well, if you ever took the culture in, rather than strutted around  with your 'Empire head' on, you would have learnt. That 'dog' has the right as you and me in this world in fact it maybe was yer maw, which 100% was! She can shit where she wants. It's only shit at the end of the day

Are you suggesting throbber’s maw shits where she likes?

Because if you are, I would suggest you are correct.

13 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I remember seeing a photo of a Rangers pub in Thailand that was the most sunburned Alan Brazil, yer da, Brit abroad place you can imagine. I think it was called The Dogs Bollocks.

(In)famous pub in Pattaya owned by Chelsea hooligan types.

Pattaya is a fucking shithole full of gammons and perverts. On the plus side though, when I was there I witnessed three neds with Celtic shirts giving it the whole Glasgow hard man act in a bar on Walking Street. I didn't identify myself as Scottish because I didn't want these c***s on my back. I quietly sloped off into the bar next door for a beer. When I emerged one of the neds was face down and unconscious on the pavement and the other two were crying like babies. I assume that they'd been skelped.

As regards fitba shirts in general, I wouldn't be seen dead in a Scottish club shirt, but I've a couple of unusual foreign shirts that attract admiring glances when I rock them.

Edited by Paul Kersey

My unpopular opinion;  People who dabble in the black economy, so they can save a bit of tax are absolute knvts.  This includes those that pay a bit of cash in hand to avoid VAT and those that don't declare their full incomes.  (I'm looking at everyone from Tradesmen doing a bit on the side to taxi drivers to waiters and waitresses not recording their tips).
Don't get me started on those morally corrupt knvts that use tax loopholes (but those are more popular opinions).
Yours, pay yer taxes!
aDONis
I think you should really be looking at the massive companies avoiding billions in tax as opposed to waiters and waitresses on minimum wage not declaring tips....

4 minutes ago, Empty It said:

I think you should really be looking at the massive companies avoiding billions in tax as opposed to waiters and waitresses on minimum wage not declaring tips....

In a society where the privileged are openly ransacking the treasury to feather their own nests, what does it say about the people who are declaring all of their income?

9 minutes ago, Empty It said:
1 hour ago, aDONisSheep said:
My unpopular opinion;  People who dabble in the black economy, so they can save a bit of tax are absolute knvts.  This includes those that pay a bit of cash in hand to avoid VAT and those that don't declare their full incomes.  (I'm looking at everyone from Tradesmen doing a bit on the side to taxi drivers to waiters and waitresses not recording their tips).
Don't get me started on those morally corrupt knvts that use tax loopholes (but those are more popular opinions).
Yours, pay yer taxes!
aDONis

I've never understood that argument.

Believe it or not, I can walk and chew gum.  I don't think the items are mutually exclusive (and nor should they be).

I REALLY think we should tighten up our tax laws on big business and the rich (but that's a popular opinion).  But that doesn't give a builder a right to avoid VAT on cash in hand jobs.  

Yours,

aDONis

Edited by aDONisSheep

What is infinitely worse than wearing a replica shirt on holiday is hanging out in a bar designated for your own supporters. 

I have been known to sport an EFFC top in far flung lands, but I'll be fucked if I'm going to spend my time in the Bayview Bar in Benidorm. 

9 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

What is infinitely worse than wearing a replica shirt on holiday is hanging out in a bar designated for your own supporters. 

I have been known to sport an EFFC top in far flung lands, but I'll be fucked if I'm going to spend my time in the Bayview Bar in Benidorm. 

You would thought would't you.  You turn up in Benidorm and there's a Bayview Bar with East Fife scarfs on the wall.   There's no way you're not going in. 🙃

24 minutes ago, aDONisSheep said:

Believe it or not, I can walk and chew gum.  I don't think the items are mutually exclusive (and nor should they be).

I REALLY think we should tighten up our tax laws on big business and the rich (but that's a popular opinion).  But that doesn't give a builder a right to avoid VAT on cash in hand jobs.  

Yours,

aDONis

You do realise a minimum wage waiter/bar staff probably barely meet the threshold for tax and the fiver they get in tips on a Wednesday night isn't exactly going to make much of a dent in the deficit?!

Yours,
aDONis
Whilst not mutually exclusive if one of these companies paid their tax bill it would pay 10x more than all cash in hand jobs/tips combined, you're focusing on exactly what the Tories want you to focus on.

35 minutes ago, BazMac said:

You would thought would't you.  You turn up in Benidorm and there's a Bayview Bar with East Fife scarfs on the wall.   There's no way you're not going in. 🙃

Buddies in Los Cristianos was the town's premier St Mirren theme bar, but the guy that supported them sold up and took all the stuff away with him. It's still called Buddies though.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

2 minutes ago, RH33 said:

You do realise a minimum wage waiter/bar staff probably barely meet the threshold for tax and the fiver they get in tips on a Wednesday night isn't exactly going to make much of a dent in the deficit?!

I understand that, but that's an argument for raising personal allowances (and I'm very open to doing that), it's not an argument for people to just 'decide' whether they want to pay taxes or not.

What if it's a waiter/waitress who works in a swanky restaurant and gets tips in the hundreds if not thousands from rich diners, is it still OK for them to not declare their incomes?

My argument is not that our tax system is fair at the moment (I don't think it is), and believe you-me, I think the plethora of food banks in this country is an absolute scandal and don't get me started on how we deal with issues such as unemployment, mental health and addiction.  But it still comes back to the principle that people don't get to choose, if they want to pay taxes or not.

Cards on the table, we all need to pay more tax.  I'm a dissafected Labour voter (live darn sarf), who rails against the current ambivelence that the current Labour leadership seem to have to creating a different/fairer society.

I don't like paying my taxes (nobody does), but I do it because it's a genuine way for us to do 'big stuff'.  That said, if I'm paying my fair share, then I expect others to do the same.

Yours, bleeding heart liberal

aDONis

58 minutes ago, aDONisSheep said:

Yours,

aDONis

You're supposed to pay VAT for hand jobs? Anyway, street cleaners who don't hand in any change they find on the pavement to the police.

15 minutes ago, Empty It said:
49 minutes ago, aDONisSheep said:
Yours,
aDONis

Whilst not mutually exclusive if one of these companies paid their tax bill it would pay 10x more than all cash in hand jobs/tips combined, you're focusing on exactly what the Tories want you to focus on.

I'm not focussing on that at all.  The title of this thread is 'unpopular opinions'.  I get absolutely incensed at big companies and wealthy individuals using the tax laws to do what I consider 'immoral' tax avoidance.  I've been approached several times to 'invest' in schemes such as 'pay day loans', 'Film production companies', 'Employee benefits schemes' (a misnomer if ever there was one) etc.  They are all morally repugnant and I've never invested.

However I don't think complaining about big business tax avoidance would qualify as an 'unpopular opinion'.

However pointing out the hypocrisy that many of us have to the 'it's only a bit of fiddling on my taxes, look at what big business does' is an unpopular opinion.

Yours, pay your taxes.

aDONis

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You're supposed to pay VAT for hand jobs? Anyway, street cleaners who don't hand in any change they find on the pavement to the police.

Farkin 'ell you've got me started.  I would decriminalise prostitution, BUT would expect sex workers to pay tax and use those taxes to pay for more health and social care as well as more sympathetic policing.   

Hell, I'd encourage them to unionise!

I suppose that could also be seen as a relatively unpopular opinion as well (Christ I'm just a contrarian).

Yours, up the (sex) workers (oo er missus)

aDONis

However pointing out the hypocrisy that many of us have to the 'it's only a bit of fiddling on my taxes, look at what big business does' is an unpopular opinion.
Yours, pay your taxes.
aDONis

Meh. I don't see it as hypocritical tbh. Waiters/tresses are probably among the lowest paid in our society. Even an extra £100 or so (I doubt it'll be that much) tax-free tips is hardly going to change much - it's not exactly a common career choice is it?

You'll get fought all the way with this because it's just not an issue. It's the kind of drivel Tories want us to believe, all the while excusing these c***s/companies using loopholes to avoid paying tax that could make an actual real difference. I doubt the tax from waiter staffs tips would make any difference in society at all. They pay their fair share anyway.

35 minutes ago, aDONisSheep said:

Farkin 'ell you've got me started.  I would decriminalise prostitution, BUT would expect sex workers to pay tax and use those taxes to pay for more health and social care as well as more sympathetic policing.   

Hell, I'd encourage them to unionise!

I suppose that could also be seen as a relatively unpopular opinion as well (Christ I'm just a contrarian).

Yours, up the (sex) workers (oo er missus)

aDONis

Prostitution is legal in Scotland and sex workers pay taxes. They also have a union, who represented the strippers in the recent Edinburgh strip club ban case.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Prostitution is legal in Scotland and sex workers pay taxes. They also have a union, who represented the strippers in the recent Edinburgh strip club ban case.

Their shop steward.

image.png.bea49733b36c95c786f606577c0b5380.png