Unpopular opinions.

You’ve said repeatedly on here you would never work again if you could regardless of the job, which suggests you aren’t a big fan of working full stop.
Yeah have to go with DA on this one. I despise having to sacrifice time with my family for the scum I work for and would love to retire. I will, as soon as money allows. Working is a shit way to spemd your time on this earth

Thatcher specifically attempted to change the psyche of British society so that we would prefer to work over claiming benefits regardless of whether it was better for you to do the latter. Therefore, if you judge folk who would rather layabout than do a shift, you're a Tory.

3 hours ago, Black Dug said:

Whilst this might be true for the Army (I know of a couple of regiments where it is expected that you have a separate income to live off) it is less so for the Royal Navy and RAF.
Entry to the RAF even as a pilot does not require a degree (Eng officers do require a degree as they have to be a member of the professional body).
The current Chief of the Air Staff and his deputy are from normal backgrounds, they were even in the same class at Kilmarnock Academy!

Pretty much every university will have Army, Navy and Air Force officer training units, not just the elite ones. Those serving Glasgow are open to students from Cally and UWS as much as they are to Glasgow uni students.

According to a 2014 report, 62% of senior armed forces officers went to private school and a further 30% went to grammar schools. Only 8% went to comps. That's a far greater proportion being privately educated than Cabinet Ministers, Lords, diplomats, people on the Sunday Times rich list... the only group they found with a greater proportion from private schools was senior judges, at 71%.

For context, only 7% of people in the UK are privately educated.

The armed forces are incredibly class-based, and I'd say it's deliberate. In Britain it's easier to get people to follow instructions if the person giving the orders is from a higher class.

34 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:
You’ve said repeatedly on here you would never work again if you could regardless of the job, which suggests you aren’t a big fan of working full stop.

Yeah have to go with DA on this one. I despise having to sacrifice time with my family for the scum I work for and would love to retire. I will, as soon as money allows. Working is a shit way to spemd your time on this earth

100% agree,  especially when working away for weeks at a time.  I will be retiring from the working life as soon as I'm financially able to do so.

Also, who the f**k in their right mind would choose to work if they didn't have to?

Edited by MONKMAN

1 minute ago, MONKMAN said:

Also, who the f**k in their right mind would choose to work if they didn't have to?

Folk with direction. Folk with a sense of duty. Creative folk. Old folk facing the boredom / poverty / a death sentence of retirement. etc. etc.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

I truly despise the company I work for.

Working beyond the point where you have to is for sad drones with empty lives.

Or seemingly for sad drones who truly despise the company they work for.

According to a 2014 report, 62% of senior armed forces officers went to private school and a further 30% went to grammar schools. Only 8% went to comps. That's a far greater proportion being privately educated than Cabinet Ministers, Lords, diplomats, people on the Sunday Times rich list... the only group they found with a greater proportion from private schools was senior judges, at 71%.
The armed forces are incredibly class-based, and I'd say it's deliberate. In Britain it's easier to get people to follow instructions if the person giving the orders is from a higher class.
Not disputing that some of the Armed forces are from entitled backgrounds. (thanks for taking the time to research it...)

I would hazard that this is squewed by the army where you have families who have a tradition of service and are sufficiently well off to be able to make it their career despite the, relatively, low wages on offer.

In my experience this is less so within the RN and RAF. Commissioning from the ranks is encouraged with no barriers to where you can make it to based on where you went to school etc. A recent Air Member for personnel (Air Marshal rank - General equiv) was commissioned whilst he was serving as a corporal.

Irrespective, I have seen little evidence of nepotism in my time so I'm confident that despite your background if you are promoted you will be due it on merit rather than by what tie you wore at dinner.

I also dispute your theory that it's easier to take orders from someone based on their class. The military have a command chain that follows a rank structure. If you are given an order by a more senior rank you follow it (unless it is an illegal order, defined by military law). Every rank is aware of this. Most of the orders that the lowest members of the services will receive will be from their immediate superiors, the corporals and sergeants, not the Eton educated Brigadier.

I enjoy my job and like the Company I work for but if I could afford not to work I would be out of there like a shot.
Have had the conversation many times on nightshift "if your numbers came up right now, would you finish your shift?"

My answer is always the same. I wouldnt even finish the sentence I was on.

Seems like I’ve made my point terribly. Obviously there’s very few (lucky) people who do a job they enjoy, but it is possible. My point was that DA had said he would like to never work again, regardless of the job, when if I was in a similar situation of hating every second of working life I’d probably try to do something to rectify it like looking to move into something that I enjoy. Work doesn’t have to be a slog, although I appreciate it’s not an easy fix.

I would also happily retire now if I could, but think I’d try to start up a business or do something rather than never work again. 

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Check out the percentage of BBC news presenters down south who went to private schools. Utterly shocking...

This could go either way.

c***s setting off fireworks at home. Get them tae f**k. Banned for sale to public.

Total arseholes.

Absolutely spot on!
Fireworks should only be for the proper public displays. The moronic general public shouldn’t be able to get their hands on them. Especially not the fucking roaster close to my house that seems to have bought about 3 hours worth. f**k off!

1 hour ago, Black Dug said:

Not disputing that some of the Armed forces are from entitled backgrounds. (thanks for taking the time to research it...)

I would hazard that this is squewed by the army where you have families who have a tradition of service and are sufficiently well off to be able to make it their career despite the, relatively, low wages on offer.

In my experience this is less so within the RN and RAF. Commissioning from the ranks is encouraged with no barriers to where you can make it to based on where you went to school etc. A recent Air Member for personnel (Air Marshal rank - General equiv) was commissioned whilst he was serving as a corporal.

Irrespective, I have seen little evidence of nepotism in my time so I'm confident that despite your background if you are promoted you will be due it on merit rather than by what tie you wore at dinner.

I also dispute your theory that it's easier to take orders from someone based on their class. The military have a command chain that follows a rank structure. If you are given an order by a more senior rank you follow it (unless it is an illegal order, defined by military law). Every rank is aware of this. Most of the orders that the lowest members of the services will receive will be from their immediate superiors, the corporals and sergeants, not the Eton educated Brigadier.

You would have thought after WW1 that letting upper class muppets rule the armed forces was a bad idea.

Tally ho you boys walk slowly at the machine guns. It’s utterly unthinkable that it was assumed to be a good idea. Only after they actually listened to non career officers from Canada they made progress. The Germans actually copied this for blitzkreig it was so effective. 

Blackadder wasn’t far away from the truth.