E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

I realise this may be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. My wife dropped her Samsung Galaxy S phone down the cludgie and, strangely enough, it has stopped working. It has worked a couple of times since the cludgie incident, but in general seems to be gubbed. Is there any way of bringing this poor phone back to life, or is it destined for the great big phone cemetery in the sky?

How can I find out what kind of RAM I have on my computer - without taking the tower apart, I want to update my risible RAM size (512mb) to something a little more up to date. I run XP sp3 by the way.

Also, does anyone know a good place that I can get the new chips from at a reasonable price? Preferably in the Irvine or central Glasgow area. Thanks in advance for any help.

Go the Crucial website and use their memory scanner. It will tell you what you have, the capacity of the motherboard and sell you compatible sticks

How easy would it be to replace the battery in my 1st gen 16GB ipod touch?

Probably best taking it into a shop, I wouldn't reall recommend taking the Ipod apart.

Just got a question regarding my phone contract for my new phone. I took the "One plan" out with 3, where the claim to give you "all you can eat data". I googled around to see if it literally meant that, and it turns out it does mean genuine unlimited usage. The only thing is, I downloaded the 3 app, which tells you all of your allowances and it seems to think I only have 1GB of data usage. Any thoughts? I was thinking since my first contracted month doesn't start for 3 days (as it says in the app), it may just not have kicked into effect yet. Not that I'd go over 1GB anyway, but it's still nice to know.

EDIT:

Browsed around some more and came across the 3 forum and saw the following:

"This is no fair usage policy. Three's systems have not been fully updated for the new allowances. Once your data allowance reaches 0, you can continue to use the internet free of charge.

Your usage may be monitored if you exceed 40 GB. No action will be taken unless you are breaching their terms (All you can eat can be tether providing it is not for peer to peer file sharing, or for commercial purposes)."

So it seems it is completely legitimate unlimited internet.

Edited by Just a bairn

So it seems it is completely legitimate unlimited internet.

As long as you get good coverage in your area with 3 then pretty much aye.

I think this would be good if it carries over into when the 4G network starts rolling out here in 2012/13 (I think) because what would be the need for home broadband if you can get something of similar speeds to the likes of what BT are doing at the moment on an unlimited mobile contract.

As long as you get good coverage in your area with 3 then pretty much aye.

I think this would be good if it carries over into when the 4G network starts rolling out here in 2012/13 (I think) because what would be the need for home broadband if you can get something of similar speeds to the likes of what BT are doing at the moment on an unlimited mobile contract.

It almost certainly wont. 4G will cost the operators serious, serious money which they'll need to recuperate. Id be amazed if any of them are offering "unlimited" packages on it, in the early days at least, unless theyre very expensive.

Long shot but worth a try, Blackberry Storm. Put some headphones in it the other week (not blackberry headphones), and the day after the screen broke. You can still see that it lights up, but it doesn't show anything apart from a 'brighter' black screen as you can see it lit up in behind. I put the headphones in and it worked again, and did so for a couple of times after but i've never had it work since. Anyone got any ideas, or, as I reckon, is it totally fucked and i'm looking for a new phone?

Can anyone give me a step-by-step guide on watching downloaded videos on an iPhone 4?

I think it's the same as iPad:

Convert the video on your pc or mac using Handbrake http://handbrake.fr/

In iTunes select the option to manually manage your videos

Drag and drop the videos from the folder on your PC onto your iPhone in iTunes

Why is iTunes so fucking shit? It takes a 15-20 minutes to open, freezes all the time, then takes 40 minutes to load back up again after you close it, freezes when you connect an ipod, freezes when you put a collection of songs on it and freezes when you edit song info. Anyway I can stop it being so fucking shit?

I'm looking into buying a printer, any recommendations? I'm not looking to spend too much money but would like one that doesn't suck, the one we have just now is just flat out shite.

If it was cheap enough then I'd get one that printed, scanned and copied(less emphasis on the scanner part) but I'm always apprehensive about getting multiple systems in one as if one breaks the whole thing could be knackered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking into buying a printer, any recommendations? I'm not looking to spend too much money but would like one that doesn't suck, the one we have just now is just flat out shite.

If it was cheap enough then I'd get one that printed, scanned and copied(less emphasis on the scanner part) but I'm always apprehensive about getting multiple systems in one as if one breaks the whole thing could be knackered.

Got a good wireless HP printer from pc world for £40.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-photosmart-e-all-in-one-wireless-multifunction-printer-07374406-pdt.html

Can anybody recommend a program that can read .cbr files? I've tried looking on the internet and have come across various programs, although I would rather not install something which isn't very useful.

My mate is a massive collector of comic books and what not, and I persuaded him to scan some of the various series he has to see if I can get into it, however I haven't got the slightest clue about reading comic books on the PC. He may have also included some dodgy manga type comics, although I'm keen to avoid them. ph34r.gif

Tesco have an HP deskjet wireless printer copier scanner for £37.97. Tesco printer link.

Can anybody recommend a program that can read .cbr files? I've tried looking on the internet and have come across various programs, although I would rather not install something which isn't very useful.

My mate is a massive collector of comic books and what not, and I persuaded him to scan some of the various series he has to see if I can get into it, however I haven't got the slightest clue about reading comic books on the PC. He may have also included some dodgy manga type comics, although I'm keen to avoid them. ph34r.gif

Anybody?