E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

• 2 months later...

Anyone know much about VR headsets?

We're looking to get a good one for my dad for his 60th. He's in a wheelchair and we reckon it's something he'd get a lot out of.

Something that we could get a lot of different things downloaded for. Travel type things maybe. Different landscapes, environments etc. Maybe some historical stuff.

I know very little about this sort of tech so any recommendations would be much appreciated. Looking to spend no more than £400-£500. PS4 one is not an option.

Cheers.

12 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Anyone know much about VR headsets?

We're looking to get a good one for my dad for his 60th. He's in a wheelchair and we reckon it's something he'd get a lot out of.

Something that we could get a lot of different things downloaded for. Travel type things maybe. Different landscapes, environments etc. Maybe some historical stuff.

I know very little about this sort of tech so any recommendations would be much appreciated. Looking to spend no more than £400-£500. PS4 one is not an option.

Cheers.

I dont know a huge amount but I do know you'll need to think about the device hes using too. 

Does he already have a PC or mobile phone/tablet?

I dont know a huge amount but I do know you'll need to think about the device hes using too. 
Does he already have a PC or mobile phone/tablet?

We have all of those things but it's the kind of thing we'd be setting up for him in any case.

25 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

We have all of those things but it's the kind of thing we'd be setting up for him in any case.

Yes, but what I mean is that what he already has might make a difference to what VR headset you go for.

For example, if he has a Samsung phone then the Samsung Gear VR is probably going to be a good choice. 

The Oculus Quest 2 gets really good reviews and is standalone, but you need a Facebook account to use it. If he already has facebook, then obviously thats not an issue.

Yes, but what I mean is that what he already has might make a difference to what VR headset you go for.
For example, if he has a Samsung phone then the Samsung Gear VR is probably going to be a good choice. 
The Oculus Quest 2 gets really good reviews and is standalone, but you need a Facebook account to use it. If he already has facebook, then obviously thats not an issue.

Ah gotcha. He's able to access both so will look into them. Thanks.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction with some speakers, as Google is failing me.

I have a summerhouse in my garden, which I'm about to get wired up and insulated to use as an office. As part of this, I want to install some speakers, which seems easy enough. However, the summerhouse opens up on to my patio, so I'd like to have a pair installed in the ceiling inside, and then an external pair on the outside. I'd like them to be able to work both as one, and independently of each other (so that I can have music on inside without it playing outside). Anyone got any reasonably priced suggestions? 

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction with some speakers, as Google is failing me.
I have a summerhouse in my garden, which I'm about to get wired up and insulated to use as an office. As part of this, I want to install some speakers, which seems easy enough. However, the summerhouse opens up on to my patio, so I'd like to have a pair installed in the ceiling inside, and then an external pair on the outside. I'd like them to be able to work both as one, and independently of each other (so that I can have music on inside without it playing outside). Anyone got any reasonably priced suggestions? 
I suppose it depends on the type of speakers and what exactly you're going to be connecting them up to but would a switcher like this not be suitable:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000L0X49I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_4ZKJEM3BB3X1Y429J7BH

12 hours ago, spud131 said:

I suppose it depends on the type of speakers and what exactly you're going to be connecting them up to but would a switcher like this not be suitable:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000L0X49I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_4ZKJEM3BB3X1Y429J7BH

That might work, cheers. I haven't got the other stuff decided yet, but ideally I'd have a panel on the wall to control it, which has Bluetooth and aux input.

ETA: think I've found exactly what I'm looking for. So for future reference

https://audioinstallations.co.uk/product/systemline-e50-white-2-zone-kitchen-and-garden-bluetooth-home-audio-system/

Edited by die hard doonhamer

I've just taken a video that I'd like to send to someone, but I'm fucking useless at these things and switched between landscape and portrait a couple of times (necessary to fit everything in). Is there a simple (and free) way to rotate the video multiple times during playback? Everything I've seen rotates the whole video and my Google-Fu has let me down so far.

Have an iPhone SE running 14.7.1
Just joined a new company and policy is to have do not disturb mode on automatically if you are driving. Not even meant to use hands-free when driving.
I use the phone for navigation so connect it to the van's carplay system.
It doesn't let me make calls and mutes incoming mails/texts but calls can come in ok?
Anyone help that is more savvy than me please?

On 21/08/2021 at 15:46, BFTD said:

I've just taken a video that I'd like to send to someone, but I'm fucking useless at these things and switched between landscape and portrait a couple of times (necessary to fit everything in). Is there a simple (and free) way to rotate the video multiple times during playback? Everything I've seen rotates the whole video and my Google-Fu has let me down so far.

No.

HTH :)

Seriously, you could try a proper video editor like lightworks (which is open source) but Im not even sure if its possible in that, not something I've ever had to do.

Googling rotating with lightworks might help work out if you can do it or not

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

No.

HTH :)

Seriously, you could try a proper video editor like lightworks (which is open source) but Im not even sure if its possible in that, not something I've ever had to do.

Googling rotating with lightworks might help work out if you can do it or not

Thanks. Have hardly ever bothered recording videos before, but I'll know for the future that switching orientation during filming is a very poor idea.

Especially when it turns out you were holding your phone upside-down for most of it  :rolleyes:

Think you'd need to get a video editing tool and cut the video each time you've rotated the camera and rotate each segment so it was the right way round, then you'd need to stitch all these clips back together.
Even then it would be abit choppy.

46 minutes ago, spud131 said:

Think you'd need to get a video editing tool and cut the video each time you've rotated the camera and rotate each segment so it was the right way round, then you'd need to stitch all these clips back together.
Even then it would be abit choppy.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

D'oh.

55 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

I think you can do this with windows movie maker or whatever its called these days but it's free and part of Windows 10.

Windows Movie maker is part of the photos app and you cant do what BFTD needs. You can only rotate the whole video. As spud said, you need a video editor where you can rotate different sections of the video

• 4 weeks later...

Folks I've changed my phone but can't seem to find the P&B app to buy in the play store.

Am I missing something?

And if I can't get the app is there anyone who accesses the main site from their phone?  Is that an easy thing to do (right now I'm using my laptop)?

I know these will seem like stupid questions but with my old phone the app was perfect and really easy for me to use. 

Folks I've changed my phone but can't seem to find the P&B app to buy in the play store.

Am I missing something?

And if I can't get the app is there anyone who accesses the main site from their phone?  Is that an easy thing to do (right now I'm using my laptop)?

I know these will seem like stupid questions but with my old phone the app was perfect and really easy for me to use. 
The P&B app is no more and hasn't been available for ages now, you can access it through the Tapatalk app.