E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/05/2023 at 15:46, Busta Nut said:

Smart watches, what the best yins about?

Also not apple.

Best for what? Not being smart, but what do you actually want it for…what is it important it does well? And by not Apple, Android ecosystem only?

On 30/05/2023 at 21:46, Busta Nut said:

Smart watches, what the best yins about?

Also not apple.

I have a ticwatch. This is my seocnd one, I really like them. 

Has Android wear on it, but also has two screens. The lcd screen is used most of the time, so it just tells the time, which means you get days and days of battery life 

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

Best for what? Not being smart, but what do you actually want it for…what is it important it does well? And by not Apple, Android ecosystem only?

TRacking things like walks, cycles, runs, exercise etc anaw.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

TRacking things like walks, cycles, runs, exercise etc anaw.

Fitbit is always pretty good, and the Charge 5 works well with Android.

Edited by TxRover

Internet connection question, bit of a strange one.

My broadband connection is pretty stable, handles multiple devices streaming video at the same time no bother. However, certain websites just never seem to load when I’m on my phone connected to my home wifi, with P&B being one of them. As soon as I switch to mobile data it works fine, and the site loads fine on my laptop via wifi.

Anyone any suggestions on how to resolve?

4 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Internet connection question, bit of a strange one.

My broadband connection is pretty stable, handles multiple devices streaming video at the same time no bother. However, certain websites just never seem to load when I’m on my phone connected to my home wifi, with P&B being one of them. As soon as I switch to mobile data it works fine, and the site loads fine on my laptop via wifi.

Anyone any suggestions on how to resolve?

Would that not be more of a phone browser issue, if the sites load fine elsewhere via wifi but not on your phone, it sounds like your phone is the issues 

Maybe some browser add on or something (pretty sure someone smarter than me will know better) 

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Would that not be more of a phone browser issue, if the sites load fine elsewhere via wifi but not on your phone, it sounds like your phone is the issues 

Maybe some browser add on or something (pretty sure someone smarter than me will know better) 

It works fine over mobile data, though, or when I use a VPN, or on wifi in a different house, so I don’t think it’s my browser. It’s a really confusing one. 

10 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

It works fine over mobile data, though, or when I use a VPN, or on wifi in a different house, so I don’t think it’s my browser. It’s a really confusing one. 

That sounds bloody weird, does it show any error message when you try or just not load up? 

16 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Seems like the common denominator here for some reason is your phone + your IP address, reset your router or something to get a new one at home (check your IP before and after to make sure it's changed) and see if there's still an issue?

11 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

That sounds bloody weird, does it show any error message when you try or just not load up? 

It just hangs. Sometimes it loads eventually, but that’s rare. 

10 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Seems like the common denominator here for some reason is your phone + your IP address, reset your router or something to get a new one at home (check your IP before and after to make sure it's changed) and see if there's still an issue?

Thanks, will give that a try. 

• 4 weeks later...

My internet is currently via FTTC and I get speeds of about 74Mbps down and 20Mbps up. It looks like full fibre to the house is now available so I'm wondering if it would be worth getting. The biggest advantage of full fibre that I can see is being able to get a better upload speed, which would allow me to use cloud storage more. I'm with Sky so to get a 60Mbps upload speed I'd need to get their 500Mbps package.

Apart from not really using cloud back up at the moment (I destroyed a backup HDD last year, so I really should use cloud), I can normally do everything else I need on the current connection, so I'm not really sure if I'd benefit paying more for a faster connection.. Any thoughts?

Edited by Soapy FFC

Will be running a predictor competition on another thread this season. Last year I just added up the points from each poster. I am rubbish with Excel so does any of you special people know a spreadsheet I could use?

The format of the competition is 6 matches per week to predict and the players post their predictions. Is there something I could copy and paste into and it would generate the score. Lazy, I know but if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it.

On 03/07/2023 at 12:50, jimbaxters said:

Will be running a predictor competition on another thread this season. Last year I just added up the points from each poster. I am rubbish with Excel so does any of you special people know a spreadsheet I could use?

The format of the competition is 6 matches per week to predict and the players post their predictions. Is there something I could copy and paste into and it would generate the score. Lazy, I know but if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it.

Don't know if this is any use, I'm probably more useless than you at spreadsheets so no idea if it's helpful. There's probably be a much simpler way of doing it out there.

https://www.spreadsheet-library.co.uk/templates-tools/sport/sport-score-prediction-game/

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Don't know if this is any use, I'm probably more useless than you at spreadsheets so no idea if it's helpful. There's probably be a much simpler way of doing it out there.

https://www.spreadsheet-library.co.uk/templates-tools/sport/sport-score-prediction-game/

Will check it out. Thanks pal.

• 2 weeks later...

Doing a bit of a rejig to my home office due to some work getting done on the house.

For my home working we have to use a wired connection (company policy) so my home office is now going to be a bit away from the router so would I be better of running the cable direct from the router or to save the hassle of that would I be better off using a powerline adapter or are there better options?

Edited by doulikefish

7 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Doing a bit of a rejig to my home office due to some work getting done on the house.

For my home working we have to use a wired connection (company policy) so my home office is now going to be a bit away from the router so would I be better of running the cable direct from the router or to save the hassle of that would I be better off using a powerline adapter or are there better options?

Seriously. How are they going to know?

Take some pictures of your system connected direct to router and upload them to satisfy HR or the IT Department. 

I’ve used power line when it first came out to great effect as it was really useful back in the day.

Unlikely I’d use it again with wifi6 capabilities, a quality router and vpn.

I would hazard a guess that they would not class power line as a “wired” direct connection. 

It is probably an old policy that has not been updated to reflect modern technology. 

3 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Seriously. How are they going to know?

Take some pictures of your system connected direct to router and upload them to satisfy HR or the IT Department. 

I’ve used power line when it first came out to great effect as it was really useful back in the day.

Unlikely I’d use it again with wifi6 capabilities, a quality router and vpn.

I would hazard a guess that they would not class power line as a “wired” direct connection. 

It is probably an old policy that has not been updated to reflect modern technology. 

Yeah bit old fashioned but office based staff have had the home working option long before covid and we actually get an old style proper computer instead of a laptop (I have both but again policy dictates I use the computer at home my laptop is for when I go to various sites and being Norwegian the it dept do check)Running a cable from the router is possible,I can just add it to sparkys list for the stuff getting done at home but a few of the guys have been pointing me in the direction of the powerline option to save this and it shows up in our it dept as "wired" 

31 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Yeah bit old fashioned but office based staff have had the home working option long before covid and we actually get an old style proper computer instead of a laptop (I have both but again policy dictates I use the computer at home my laptop is for when I go to various sites and being Norwegian the it dept do check)Running a cable from the router is possible,I can just add it to sparkys list for the stuff getting done at home but a few of the guys have been pointing me in the direction of the powerline option to save this and it shows up in our it dept as "wired" 

I used powerline to great effect for well over a decade. I’d certainly recommend it if you can’t run dedicated cables without major cost or disruption. Go for it.