May 2011 Election

xbl

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far in this election, we've had 3 Tories stand (or be stood) down, and now apparently the Lib Dems have lost another candidate. The number 2 on their list (promoted to #1 after their top choice quit) has also stepped down, so those two and a third not able to stand due to a cock up makes it three all.

gray making an arse of himself on the politics show on bbc 2 just now,he is a fecking idiot,i fully expect liebour to dump him soon

just to add andrew neil is actually giving all the msps on the show today a bit of a pasting

I just found out that as a consequence of the new Scotland act, the UK Government are trying to claw back planning permission, meaning that in future, the Scottish government (hypothetically) wouldn't be able to turn down any Westminster demands for (say) new nuclear plants to be built in Scotland.

I just found out that as a consequence of the new Scotland act, the UK Government are trying to claw back planning permission, meaning that in future, the Scottish government (hypothetically) wouldn't be able to turn down any Westminster demands for (say) new nuclear plants to be built in Scotland.

That is a real worry. I mean Planning has to be devolved. Local ,developmnet plannind and Scottish planning. to pull that back to London would be a disgrace. I wonder if it is in the Tory Manifesto..

That is a real worry. I mean Planning has to be devolved. Local ,developmnet plannind and Scottish planning. to pull that back to London would be a disgrace. I wonder if it is in the Tory Manifesto..

The Scotland Act is a disgraceful bit of legislation, its just going to be another failed attempt to kill the SNP.

Pretty stupid if this is the case.

xbl, do you have a source?

Not yet. There is an opinion piece on Newsnet (not a news article), which mentions it:

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/speakers-corner/1976-scotlands-majestic-beauty-to-be-englands-nuclear-midden.html

In recent months much has been said and written about the Scotland Bill, AKA Calman-lite. It gives little but presumes to take much. There are two aspects to this subversive legislation that should truly create cause for alarm. One is the presumption of 'UK Law' and the other is the 'resumption' of planning permission.

Without poring through the Scotland Bill myself though, I don't have a source for it myself.

The tories seem to be the most honest about the spending cuts they'll have to implement, given that the Scottish budget will decrease by 15% by 2015.

I just can't decide whether I want to vote for the SNP, I'm traditionally Labour but Iain Gray is really one of the most odious and annoying politicians I've ever seen, can't bear to watch him for more than 5 minutes.

I just can't decide whether I want to vote for the SNP, I'm traditionally Labour but Iain Gray is really one of the most odious and annoying politicians I've ever seen, can't bear to watch him for more than 5 minutes.

That sounds like a cue for me! :D

If I may point out, in things like apprenticeships, council tax freeze, university fees, and prescriptions, Labour have basically followed SNP policy, so there isn't all that much difference between what the two parties are offering in policy. Its funny how Labour are talking about protecting Scotland and standing up to Westminster now, when in 2007, "picking fights" with London was apparently a bad thing. But the SNP do have a better record of standing up for Scotland and promoting Scotland than Labour. And as you mentioned, there is the Gray factor.

Finally, you might be opposed to independence, but remember that a vote for the SNP isn't necessarily a vote for independence. The SNP want to offer a choice. They want to offer a referendum, which you are more than welcome to vote no to. You can vote for the SNP but not be in favour of independence. They stand for choice. Labour on the other hand stand for devolution by stealth. They don't want the best for Scotland, they want to "kill nationalism stone dead". The Parliament was a reaction to the rise of the SNP, and when the people voted against Labour, they simply decided to throw a few more crumbs our way, giving us Calman, which represents devolution that nobody asked for, nobody gets a say on, and the details are still as murky as hell.

So policy wise, there is little to separate. Devolution wise, the SNP offer a choice, Labour will give you as little as possible, regardless of what you actually want. Personality wise, Labour offer Iain Gray.

Xbl that is the most coherent stuff you've written on politics for a while. :P

I would be voting SNP were I in Scotland. So far as competence is concerned, they're the only ones I'd put in charge of a kennel far less a parliament.

Great shout by the Tories. Get 14 year old wasters into work/training. Had radio Scotland on earlier today and surprised myself as to how much I agreed with it.

Muppet Murdo Fraser on Newsnight: scrapping early release etc won't lead to higher prison numbers because 'prison will be a deterrent'!

Aye very good, it works for the US doesn't it? Playing to the petty right-wing audience that ruins their so-called 'sensible and honest' agenda. There will be more prisoners while they take money out of the system.

Xbl that is the most coherent stuff you've written on politics for a while. :P

Well its election time innit! The SNP always try to fight a positive campaign, they don't bring out the attack ads and the smears, they tend to leave that to the Unionists. Accordingly, I am also trying to stay positive and talk up the SNP specifically. Nobody likes negative campaigning, and I'm actually quite relieved that Labour have decided to go negative, because I think that will turn floating voters off, and will also let the SNP continue to set the agenda.

Yep.

It tells you a lot about the mentality of the Scots voter.

Sad left wing c***s.

Absolutely.

What's this shit about being saved from the Tories? What a load of bollocks. Most working class Scots, far from being saved from the Tories, bought everything the Tories sold them from shares in British Gas and Scottish Power to their own fucking council houses.

Look at Yogi Is God FFS. Starts off with "The Tories seem to be the most honest" and then goes on to say he doesn't know who to vote for - SNP or Labour. It says it all about the mentality of some of the right thick arseholes we have in this country.... :rolleyes:

Archived