May 2011 Election

xbl

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SNP are going to own Falkirk judging by what i've seen as between 12-18 out of every 25 have been SNP.

No real surprise that the SNP won both Falkirk seats and it was obvious after 10 minutes that Michael was going to walk Falkirk west.

Also wait till the video of Cathy Peattie being just ever so slightly bitter after losing makes it's way to youtube. :D

Been up for nearly 24 hours now and I'm shattered but waiting to see if Marilyn Livingstone gets kicked out on her arse.

Anyone know how the regional results compared to 2007? BBC website seems to be showing massive gains for Labour and massive losses for SNP. My brain is absolutely frazzled and have no idea if that's true.

Anyone know how the regional results compared to 2007? BBC website seems to be showing massive gains for Labour and massive losses for SNP. My brain is absolutely frazzled and have no idea if that's true.

In terms of seats, yes. But in terms of raw vote, the opposite is true. The reason the seats have reversed is because Labour no longer have the overhang from their constituencies in the central belt.

Well that was fruitless! That was 40 minutes of lying with my eyes closed, too excited to sleep! I'll pay for it later, but f**k it, history is happening! Did I miss much in the last 40 minutes, I thought the lists weren't till much later?

SNP need to clean up Fife/Aberdeen/Highland constituencies, that with an as strong list showing in South and West Scotland could see a majority?

They could get a few in the north-east through sheer scale of vote.

Well that was fruitless! That was 40 minutes of lying with my eyes closed, too excited to sleep! I'll pay for it later, but f**k it, history is happening! Did I miss much in the last 40 minutes, I thought the lists weren't till much later?

They announce the list once all the constituency seats in the region are finalised and announced. The counting happens at the same time.

That's why Glasgow and Central Scotland have released the list vote but (e..g) the Teuchterlands and Fife haven't.

SNP need to clean up Fife/Aberdeen/Highland constituencies, that with an as strong list showing in South and West Scotland could see a majority?

They could get a few in the north-east through sheer scale of vote.

I just read on twitter that the BBC have a projection somewhere of a bare majority on 65 seats.

As soon as the constituencies are done, they can announce lists.

The rural Highlands and Borders take longer to do their constituencies, obviously, due to distance and their rural nature - so it'll be later until we get those declarations (though I'm hoping not too long for Berwickshire!!) and thus later for the South and Highland lists.

Summary of events so far?

* massive SNP gains across the country

* major Labour collapse in heartlands

* Liberals facing catastrophe

In terms of seats, yes. But in terms of raw vote, the opposite is true. The reason the seats have reversed is because Labour no longer have the overhang from their constituencies in the central belt.

OK. I think :blink:

This is the third election I've been involved in covering for work (two Scottish, one general) and while all three have major changes in the political landscape, sadly I can't say I was reporting on history as our seats stayed the same all three times :(

I just read on twitter that the BBC have a projection somewhere of a bare majority on 65 seats.

Greens will be amiable to SNP, and they've got 1 seat already. Plus if Margo gets in, she's ex-SNP after all... And the non-SNP parties will likely "lose" a seat, assuming Alex Fergusson returns as Presiding Officer. Adds up.

Looking at regional list votes for the 2 declared regions (Central + Glasgow):

* Conservatives have 3.5x votes of Liberals

* Liberals barely ahead of Greens, behind combined total of Pensioners + Christian Party + UKIP!!

Wake up to find McAveety, Gordon and whitton are gone.

HAPPY DAYS.

Archived