May 2011 Election

xbl

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know Salmond has said he will hold off on this.

What excuse did he give? Surely the SNP are running out of them now, given the tried and trusted "it's those bad Unionists ganging up on us" get out has disappeared overnight.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a tremendous day this is - Labour have been wiped off the map in Midlothian!

Complacency has cost them in the end - and my gosh what a shower of third-rate councillor-fodder they'll be left with in Holyrood.

The first time in my life my vote has ever been cast for the winning politician - tremendous!

The most astonishing thing of the night for me is the Lib Dem candidate who didn't submit their paperwork in time and as a result coulnt stand. That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. What an utter shambles.

The most astonishing thing of the night for me is the Lib Dem candidate who didn't submit their paperwork in time and as a result coulnt stand. That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. What an utter shambles.

Amateurish

I think he was on both the constituency and the list and it was only one of the two he couldn't stand for, although still highly amusing. At least that was one less deposit wasted.

Meant to post in my earlier rant, Alex Fergusson has said he won't be standing for presiding officer again - but then, he's a politician so could be lying/could change his mind.

Brian Taylor came to my uni in 2004/05 and told us he was only aware of one time when a party held a majority in Scotland - ironically it was the Tories in the mid 20th Century - and he felt it very unlikely it would happen again any time soon. Who'd have thought, two elections and less than a decade later, he could be so wrong.

Have you not confused majority of the vote, with majority of the seats? Labour will have often held a majority of seats, and quite possibly the Liberals before them... The only time a party polled over 50% of the vote was the Tories in the mid-1950s. But SNP today are only on 45%, currently.

It is hillarious to see them being destroyed like this. I never, ever thought I would see the day when so many "monkey in a suit" Labour territories would ditch them - and in one go. Those that didn't ditch them gave it a damn good shot. Perhaps this election will show people that their vote does make a difference - especially in that place where the bloke won by seven.

Quite. For all the talk of SNP 3 seat majority, let's note the following 9 seats they lost by less than 1,000 votes:

... by 151 votes in East Lothian

... by 511 votes in Greenock

... by 587 votes in Motherwell

... by 595 votes in Edinburgh Northern

... by 623 votes in Pollock

... by 714 votes in Uddingston

... by 862 votes in Galloway

... by 966 votes in Orkney

I had a nice chat with a national newspaper journalist tonight who pointed out the best Labour politicians bgger off to Westminster, the next lot stand for the constituencies then the idiots are in the list, so it's going to be great to see what sort of clowns they end up with. That is why Gray will probably survive - because there is no one capable of replacing him. The shadow cabinet will be made up of unknowns.

Fair point, this. Currently their biggest guns are looking to be Gray, Patricia Ferguson, and a couple of wide-boys like Hugh Henry and Malcolm Chisholm... It's notable that Johan Lamont, and Jackie Baillie, are already going down like lead balloons on the election show... they simply don't get it. That they've been given a hiding, or why, or why they deserved it.

I think I'd still be laughing if he'd lost his seat and was gutted he didn't. I know f**k all about him - despite the fact he was in our office last year - and probably couldn't have picked him out of a line-up. Say what you want about their politics, but at least Salmond and Goldie have a bit about them - hell, even Sheridan and Galloway have enough about them that I know they are complete cocks. "Meh" probably sums up my feelings on Gray.

I don't mind him having survived... He's been humiliated by needing 2 recounts to win by 151 votes, and he'll continue to be humiliated as he either [1] resigns, or [2] has to struggle on as no-one else is able to replace him. He's also going to have to manage 5 years in opposition, going to have to try to cobble together a shadow cabinet out of a few dozen novices or dregs, and all against the background of his electoral and leadership uselessness. I've bad feelings for him I would admit - stemming from him behaving like a kid at a uni politics society event when I was on the committee - but he's also been the figurehead of a negative, repressive, downbeat campaign. And when that failed, they resort to the usual scare-stories and doom-n-gloom. People in Scotland are sick of being taken for granted, thrown C-grade Labour careerists, and sick of being talked down, and Ian Gray was the apex of those things number one protagonist.

Also good to see the Record getting completely shafted on this. I reckoned the results wouldn't be far off the last time, but when I heard the Record's front page was begrudgingly admitting Salmond was set to win, I knew it had to be a biggy.

Their initial cover after 2am devoted half the page to Kate Middleton, most of the rest to Craig Whyte's Rangers takeover - and gave Salmond and the election an area about the size of 2.5 postage stamps in the bottom-left, about the same size as the barcode on the back. Shambles of a paper.

Yeah, you're probably right about it being vote, rather than seats - the date and parties match up with what I remember. As I said I'm knackered, so if that's all I've got wrong I'll be happy.

I must admit some of the shine of delight at Labour taking a total beasting was taken off when that awful Sturgeon creature scuttled into view.

What a horrible little troll she is.

Yeah, you're probably right about it being vote, rather than seats - the date and parties match up with what I remember. As I said I'm knackered, so if that's all I've got wrong I'll be happy.

Today is still momentous viewed through the historical prism. For any party in a 4-party system using AMS to land mid-to-high 40%s of the vote, and potentially a parliamentary majority, is a remarkable feat.

What excuse did he give? Surely the SNP are running out of them now, given the tried and trusted "it's those bad Unionists ganging up on us" get out has disappeared overnight.

He always stated that this would towards the back end of the next Parliment. I just wonder if he would want to tap into a "feel good" factor.

He always stated that this would towards the back end of the next Parliment.

Yeah, what reasons for the delay though?

Surely it's quite simple. Let the people decide.

Excellent.

Johnny boy Lamont holds on for the Conservatives down here in Berwickshire, infact he actually increases his share by 6%!! As ever, we buck the national trend.

Lib Dems collapse, SNP roar into 2nd.

Also the latest predictions:

SNP 68 (majority of 3)

Labour 38

Conservatives 12

Lame Ducks 6

Greens 3

Pensioners 1

Margo Macdonald 1

Where's that prediction from? I'll be dissapointed if the Greens only manage to take one extra seat after all of this.

Yeah, what reasons for the delay though?

Surely it's quite simple. Let the people decide.

Would you not like to you know, wait till this election is over? They haven't even declared the seats yet? Plus there is the obligatory basking to do. I have no intention of discussing any detailed policy on this site for, ooooh, at least a couple days. I'm going to need that much time to revel. 8)

The first time in my life my vote has ever been cast for the winning politician - tremendous!

I turned on the TV this morning to see Lewis MacDonald with a smile on his face and after thinking I was pissing against the wind voting against Labour in Aberdeen Central, I just assumed he'd got in. Hence I was absolutely astounded to see that Kevin Stewart had beaten him. Good to see someone losing with dignity though, although it was probably one of those 'smiles of embarrassment' we has wearing.

Superb day and great to see people voting for the party they want to see rather than the usual, tactical 'Keep the Tories Out' approach which burdens the Westminster Elections, obviously what helps Labour get so much of their vote.

Also, Iain Gray has surely got to stand down as labour leader asap, this being the guy that speaks to everyone like they're still one of his old school pupils. As an aside, I also believe Maggie Thatcher had voice training to stop people thinking the same thing about her.

Archived