The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, NewBornBairn said:

Incidentally, since the St Johnstone game, how many penalties have been awarded in Scottish football for shirt pulling?

Probably none, fwiw we've hardly got a single decision since then.

So a lone referee on a one match crusade to clean up the game rather than a comprehensive approach across the game with all referees then?

Let's not kid ourselves feeling we were hard done by...the ref got 2 out of 3 correct and on another day St Johnstone could have had a 4th penalty.

That does not mean that the game will change overnight, ask yourself if the St Johnstone players had manhandled our players on that day, would you not be crying injustice?

We just need to get on with it and stop moaning!

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

So a lone referee on a one match crusade to clean up the game rather than a comprehensive approach across the game with all referees then?

Well I've not watched every single game in the country since then so I've no idea

1 hour ago, bejazz1 said:

Let's not kid ourselves feeling we were hard done by...the ref got 2 out of 3 correct and on another day St Johnstone could have had a 4th penalty.

That does not mean that the game will change overnight, ask yourself if the St Johnstone players had manhandled our players on that day, would you not be crying injustice?

1 of them manhandled Baird and it wasn't a penalty.

I'm not bothered we lost. I expected too. I've just never seen refereeing like that 

If it's consistent throughout the season then that's a good thing for Scottish football. Fact is it won't be and we have been used as a pilot scheme.

All the best to St Johnstone for the league cup. Love to see the wee teams do well.

8 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

What's the St Johnstone fans view on the 3 pens?

On the whole, on here and on our forum, its that the first one is a stonewall one, second one is one of those you can sometimes get and the third one isnt one because both players are pulling each other. The only justification for the third one is the Falkirk player standing in just the right position for the referee not to be seeing our player pulling yours but seeing our players shirt being stretched.

Lets face it if every ref had enforced the law like madden had that day and since we'd have heard all about it. As usual shirt pullings been left to go too far and now putting  a stop to it once and for all would cause a few weeks of uproar galore and so I get the feeling a lot of refs dont fancy that whilst oor Bobby did for at least that weekend anyway. Its like when a ref suddenly decides to give a foul against your keeper for holding on to the ball too long having not bothered for the 100 odd games before or when they dont give a foul when your keeper gets clattered having given soft fouls for the previous 99 challenges. Fortunately we were beaten by the better team on the day anyway but it did reduce the game to a wee bit of farce at times unfortunately.

1 of them manhandled Baird and it wasn't a penalty.

I'm not bothered we lost. I expected too. I've just never seen refereeing like that 

If it's consistent throughout the season then that's a good thing for Scottish football. Fact is it won't be and we have been used as a pilot scheme.

All the best to St Johnstone for the league cup. Love to see the wee teams do well.

Yes Gaz, you are correct. The incident with Baird was a penalty too.

Do you honestly think St Johnstone fans or any football fan would say these were never penalties?

As I said, if it happened in the opposition box we'd still be screaming the refs a cheat [emoji3]

In my book they were all penalties, the 3rd St J penalty was contentious but they could have had another.

I listened to some of the experts talking about Leahy pulling for their 3rd. This is where I have an issue... What is the difference between a pull and a push? Both are fouls so how he managed to give a penalty beats me.

When you think back to last season, we did get a couple of breaks twice against Hibs in two different games. I'm sure it equals itself out somehow...doesn't it?

Do you honestly think St Johnstone fans or any football fan would say these were never penalties?

As I said, if it happened in the opposition box we'd still be screaming the refs a cheat [emoji3]

In my book they were all penalties, the 3rd St J penalty was contentious but they could have had another.

I listened to some of the experts talking about Leahy pulling for their 3rd. This is where I have an issue... What is the difference between a pull and a push? Both are fouls so how he managed to give a penalty beats me.

When you think back to last season, we did get a couple of breaks twice against Hibs in two different games. I'm sure it equals itself out somehow...doesn't it?

We're still waiting for those "breaks" to be evened out.

12 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

As I said, if it happened in the opposition box we'd still be screaming the refs a cheat emoji3.png

The 3rd 1 Is the 1 that really bothers me.

The 1st is stonewall.

The 2nd is debatable but I'd shout for it

The 3rd they both have a handful of each other. To make it worse the St Johnstone boy then puts a hand on Gasparotto as he heads it clear.

For years I've felt defenders were untouchable. When an attacker looks the wrong way at a defender it's usually a foul. Yet when a defender fouls an opponent we usually hear stuff like "he went down too easy" and the classic "not enough contact for a penalty"

We must be the 1st team where the ref has actually said enough is enough and gave all the possible penalties.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

On the whole, on here and on our forum, its that the first one is a stonewall one, second one is one of those you can sometimes get and the third one isnt one because both players are pulling each other. The only justification for the third one is the Falkirk player standing in just the right position for the referee not to be seeing our player pulling yours but seeing our players shirt being stretched.

I couldn't have told you if the 1st was a stonewaller tbh. I saw Taiwo sliding in but was viewing from behind both players and couldn't see through them. We accepted that it must have been the correct decision though due to the fact that no-one contested it and Taiwo looked very despondent afterwards.

I didn't see a foul at all for the 2nd but that's not to say it didn't happen. Guy in front of us said it was a definite pen.

On the third, I didn't see the Saints man pulling but definitely saw Leahy pull the players jersey. My thought at the time was penalty but, if the Saints player was pulling as well, which seems to be the general consensus, then it's six of one and shouldn't have been given.

I can't recall the Baird incident but, again, the general thought is that a penalty should have been given but there was also an incident in the 2nd half when Austin was held down trying to jump for a high ball. Going by Boaby's agenda on the day, that should have been a spot kick too! 

Thing that annoyed me the most was Madden staring out the Falkirk fans in a particularly arrogant manner as he left the field at full time. That really is not on and I hope was noted by the supervisor. 

Thing that annoyed me the most was Madden staring out the Falkirk fans in a particularly arrogant manner as he left the field at full time. That really is not on and I hope was noted by the supervisor. 

That's what I remember was madden staring us all down at the end...very odd and unlike a referee.

In terms if the pens I had a very clear view of the first and no complaints whatsoever. The second one was 50/50 and the third I honestly was shocked it was given based on both players behaving in the same manner. The baird incident was more of a pen and wasn't given. So that's three decisions out of four that went against us. Normally refs would warn players before the corner was given he seemed desperate to give them. Did he not speak with the players in the dressing room pre game to at very least warn them they were changing the way things were being done? Didn't see any given in the euros for the same.

By the way I have no complaint about the result saints were the better side and deserved the win which in a way makes our complaints more legitimate. It's not only houstie that will be watching maddens performances

If there is supposed to be a new policy on this then the fact that it was a tv game probably swayed Madden into thinking he better set an example. He's probably gone back to his normal refereeing since then.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

I see the Hibs bois have once again forgetten beating us 1 0 at home last season following a dive for a penalty.

Bleating about evening it up...

McCracken clearly didnt deliberately handle the ball anyway.

It was done to death at the time that it wasn't a dive :lol: it was a clear penalty