The Falkirk FC Thread

15 minutes ago, hope street said:

Absolutely right about the midfield. Full of players who are too similar. No one as able to get beyond the strikers from the middle of the park.

Unless we want to say Hippo and Sibbs are midfielders to be fair. A lot of that is to do with how Houston is sending them out to play. Both Hippo and Sibbs are more than capable of making things happen in final 3rd. The main problem is Rankrotten Taiwo and Kerr are all very similar - slowish, good in tackle, keep it simple, retain posession types. Kerr has far better passing and ability to unlock more advanced players with a killer pass that the others don't. Craigen is lost at the moment, he hasn't been good enough being played wide or through the middle.

Unless we want to say Hippo and Sibbs are midfielders to be fair. A lot of that is to do with how Houston is sending them out to play. Both Hippo and Sibbs are more than capable of making things happen in final 3rd. The main problem is Rankrotten Taiwo and Kerr are all very similar - slowish, good in tackle, keep it simple, retain posession types. Kerr has far better passing and ability to unlock more advanced players with a killer pass that the others don't. Craigen is lost at the moment, he hasn't been good enough being played wide or through the middle.

Agreed mate. I meant more the out and out CM's.

15 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

Today was fucking abysmal. We play so safe it's unreal. Watson and and Gasporotto doesn't work. They are both to uncomfortable on the ball. Muirhead can't do anything apart from lob balls over the stand. The play-off will be a real achievement this season.

We haven't won an away game since February. We could spend more money getting players in but the way we are playing and with the players we are selecting that might not change.

I didn't realise our away form was that bad until I seen that and checked. Turns out we've only 1 out of the 12 away games we've had since Peter Grant got injured.

7 hours ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

A pish poor performance yesterday with a midfield bereft of ideas, width, pace and creativity...oh and height and strength. Why oh why did we sign Rankine..too similar to what we already have. Both center halfs were weak also. For me Bairds is done as a Bairns player. His record at any club shows he's a one season wonder then tails off then moves on. The BOD are at the root of the problem but Houston isn't blameless with uninspiring signings and seems to go for the safe option when approaching games. Need a win soon to install some confidence on and off the park. 

Baird was not even a one season wonder with either us or Dundee.

As much as I want to see us bring in another player I'm not sure I have faith in the right person being brought in. If a wage was available when Vaulks was sold why wasn't a pacy winger brought in rather than Rankin when we have Kerr/Taiwo/Sibbs/Craigen who can all play in central midfield :/ although I will admit I think Rankin has done reasonably well since he came in

Stupid plan to be honest. Could at least do other way round so a remote chance of filling it. This season we could loose two of the 'bigger' teams I the league and be facing into two far smaller supports dropping into the league.

Our board have no clue here. It's plain as day to see we need to improve the squad. Time for them to be brave and invest in the team.

They believe they have invested in the team.

I've yet to meet a fan whose at all bothered about a 4th stand to be honest. I'd much rather we got promoted and then worried about it. The only bonus any of us would get out of it would be the recurring 3 stand slagging ending and frankly I can put up with that for a bit longer.

The usual money men will be clamouring to stick their cash in to make a right few quid.

The super fan gets 70k/year for the SS.

I think there's general agreement that our fortunes won't change til the board does. And that's not happening. Would take a substantial amount of money and where's that coming from? Even a fans buyout wouldn't be the answer. Look at St Mirren. 

If you look at St Johnstone for example that's a club we should be competing with as a peer. At least. And they are miles ahead of us on the park. Have been for many years now.

Until a miracle boardroom coup takes place we will continue to underachieve. This season is particularly galling since the fans knew before a ball was kicked in the league that we were fucked. 

I think there's general agreement that our fortunes won't change til the board does. And that's not happening. Would take a substantial amount of money and where's that coming from? Even a fans buyout wouldn't be the answer. Look at St Mirren. 

If you look at St Johnstone for example that's a club we should be competing with as a peer. At least. And they are miles ahead of us on the park. Have been for many years now.

Until a miracle boardroom coup takes place we will continue to underachieve. This season is particularly galling since the fans knew before a ball was kicked in the league that we were fucked. 

Let's all try euromillions and if one of us wins we can buy the club

1 hour ago, ScotSquid said:

50/50 on that.....

I think timing has been bad for us along the way.

Going far back as the three team relegation old premier we got fuked on, one up one down and play off if u had 10.000 seats which we didn't,then to teams like St Johnstone, Dundee, Ross County, Inverness, Hamilton etc getting promotion when the top league isn't as strong as it was in our time up there and doing well

The top league is a joke nowadays, I'm not one for crowd Wanking as I don't think it matters to me but there was a time when the top Scottish league was as strong as the EPL or thereabouts....nowadays it mirrors the Irish leagues and crowds that match.

I understand the depression to our start but it's far too early to look for life jackets, I recall not so long ago one win in 9 in or so under Elvis in the league...ok if this happens now it will be zombie apocalypse. 

We will make play offs, I'm sure of it, surely our budget and aims are that minimum, we by far exceeded the aims expectation last season so surely there is credits towards houstie.

It's a marathon not a sprint

7 hours ago, MrDust said:

50/50 on that.....

I think timing has been bad for us along the way.

Going far back as the three team relegation old premier we got fuked on, one up one down and play off if u had 10.000 seats which we didn't,then to teams like St Johnstone, Dundee, Ross County, Inverness, Hamilton etc getting promotion when the top league isn't as strong as it was in our time up there and doing well

The top league is a joke nowadays, I'm not one for crowd Wanking as I don't think it matters to me but there was a time when the top Scottish league was as strong as the EPL or thereabouts....nowadays it mirrors the Irish leagues and crowds that match.

I understand the depression to our start but it's far too early to look for life jackets, I recall not so long ago one win in 9 in or so under Elvis in the league...ok if this happens now it will be zombie apocalypse. 

We will make play offs, I'm sure of it, surely our budget and aims are that minimum, we by far exceeded the aims expectation last season so surely there is credits towards houstie.

It's a marathon not a sprint

No but we should be building on last seasons success instead of being lucky to scrape into a playoff spot. Having  a pop at the playoffs and then selling your best players and replacing them with diddies isnt going to get us promoted any time soon. Its pretty obvious that there is no serious plan to get us up and that the bod are quite happy for us to toddle along in the 2nd tier with the odd playoff match flung in to keep people interested. We were a settled top flight side not that long ago till the bod made an utter hash of it and they are now making an utter mess of getting us back up.