The Falkirk FC Thread

This is the last year on his contract isn't it?

People might be surprised to see this coming from me but, unless we look in serious danger of relegation after Christmas, I'd give him the remainder of the season. If we beat Dumbarton on Saturday it will have been a poor start but not a disaster - 4 points from a home game against the team that'll win the leagues, two fairly tough away games (Queens will be top 4 with Dobbie there) and a home game to a PT side. 55 points should be the playoffs (not that I think we should have been aiming for fourth), so about 14 points a quarter should get you there. 10 points from the 5 games after that should be do-able for quarter 1. We've still got our best player to come back into the side in Grant so I'd hope that'd sort the defence out.

The recruitment looks like a huge mistake to me - Rankin has done well by all accounts but wasn't what we needed, Kidd/Gasparotto are Championship midcarders at best (I'd not seen much of Gasparotto but reviews were good), Craigen looks like he'll flit in and out of games and Rogers didn't require much imagination. Henderson seems a strange one but I've not seen enough.  They've been a reversion to the season 1 type signings - available, play within 40 miles and/or against us, and Houston's heard of them. It's very unimaginative. Relatively safe though which I think necessitates not changing the manager too quickly.

Regardless of how we do over the piece (unless we're bottom 3, which I cannot see), I would wait and re-assess our options in the summer. Hughes is my idol but would be divisive. Someone like Jack Ross or Gary Naysmith could emerge over the season as the next up and coming lower league manager ala Hartley and that to me would be a better shout than a short term fix mid-season. Pressley's availability terrifies me and I'd seriously probably chuck it if he came back. I could see them doing it as well.

It is way too early to get carried away with how we're doing so far. Big game on Saturday though I feel from a morale point of view for the supporters as much as the players.

Houston has nearly two years left

Would definitely wait for Houston to see out the remainder of his contract and review at the end of the season. One good season out of 3 wouldn't be enough for me to renew his contract. He has this season to turn it around. His main failing has been recruitment, both recently and at the very start of his tenure.

He has another season after this on his contract.

Recruitment has been an issue for Houston he tends to play safe most times and hasn't unearthed a gem . The first season I'd cut him some slack due to timing of his appointment and the sale of McGrandles. Last year he improved but this season was his big test on signings imo.So far it doesn't look good but most fans were happy with the signings of Hippolyte Kidd and Gasporotto and Austin so a bit more time is required to fully judge them. Houston will  find a formula/ selection that works however it might not be pleasing on the eye.

1 hour ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

Houston will  find a formula/ selection that works however it might not be pleasing on the eye.

Call me naive, call me uninformed, call me Derek, but wouldn't it be a good idea to have a system in mind then bring in players to fit that system instead of bringing in 30 identical midget central midfielders then try to make 3-6-1 work?

1 hour ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

Recruitment has been an issue for Houston he tends to play safe most times and hasn't unearthed a gem . The first season I'd cut him some slack due to timing of his appointment and the sale of McGrandles. Last year he improved but this season was his big test on signings imo.So far it doesn't look good but most fans were happy with the signings of Hippolyte Kidd and Gasporotto and Austin so a bit more time is required to fully judge them. Houston will  find a formula/ selection that works however it might not be pleasing on the eye.

I still feel gasparotto will come good especially when grant comes back. Austin shows promise whilst kidd looks no more than a squad player. Hippolyte needs to play more . The problem for me is losing players like Vaulks and Alston and the loss of form of baird.   To cap it all the replacements for Alston and Vaulks are simply the wrong players. Craigen is never a right sided midfielder and Rankin was the last type of player we needed. Their the three main issues Houston has to solve and I can't see him doing it without bringing players in.

I'm sick of hearing about this amazing against the odds achievement from Houston last season ....yes we overachieved ..by one place...going by the general ranking of teams vis a vis support st Johnstone overachieve by at least ten places every season & it never gets mentioned..we had a good season no denying it but to claim it as some sort of miracle by being one place above where you should be is baffling..ill be there today & houstie will get my full support I'm confident he will get it right

1 minute ago, Hughsie said:

To go the entire season only losing four matches was an incredible achievement. I won't hear otherwise.

Exactly. Falkirk's home record especially was outstanding. They regularly bloodied the nose of Rangers and Hibs, both of whom had far bigger budgets. A goalless draw at Kilmarnock would have sealed a tremendous promotion against the odds.

Houston will get it right and Falkirk will finish top four at worst. Finishing above Hibs or United this season would be another excellent effort.

35 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

To go the entire season only losing four matches was an incredible achievement. I won't hear otherwise.

History mate and we won f**k-all. This season we've lost 2 drawn 1 in the league after 3 games. Out of a cup already after being beaten by Stirling Albion and St Johnstone. He needs to get his finger out.

4 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

History mate and we won f**k-all. This season we've lost 2 drawn 1 in the league after 3 games. Out of a cup already after being beaten by Stirling Albion and St Johnstone. He needs to get his finger out.

Not in dispute. I don't see what your point is here?

Improved performance today, anyway. Onwards and upwards.

I love Tom Taiwo and its a crying shame he's been shunted out wide.

Aye shame indeed, never ever right mid on the wing. A good solid terrier getting stuck in as a holding midfielder, though Kerr had a howler. Looks as if John Baird could not score in the proverbial... his effort and running today was great tho[emoji3]

Least we've got the monkey off our back. We still have a lot of work to do but signs are there that we're able to improve on recent results.

We can build on this but really need to work out something better for right mid. Maybe play Kidd there and give Muirhead RB? It's not ideal but we can't be putting Tom Taiwo or any the other CMs in there either.