The Falkirk FC Thread

If we are signing Aird, for me has to be permanent deal. At least that way if he develops back into his earlier form he'll be an asset we can sell. Would work for him too if he's been told no future at Ibrox.

In the loan market I think we should either be going for proven players in Scotland who've fallen out of favour at top flight teams but want to prove themselves, or powerful promising youngsters from down south.

Youngsters at other Scottish clubs needing first team game time aren't likely to hugely better than our guys - who've been proven to not quite be there yet with Gallagher the exception.

37 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

I wonder if he's given up on Kidd and wants someone to play on the overlap with Taiwo instead of bringing in a new RM

Kidd when he got injured was 1 of our best players at that point.

I'm actually upset he hasn't been back in the side since recovering. Also notice he scored a Free kick the other day so it would be nice to have a 2nd opton with Hippo for them.

20 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Looking at his Transfermarkt page, he was mainly used as a right winger for Rangers in their first season in this league. 2 goals and 5 assists in 22 games that season is hardly spectacular and his most prolific season was 5 goals and 10 assists in 27 appearences in League One. I remember him having decent pace, so he's the right type of player, but I think there's a question mark over his quality.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fraser-aird/leistungsdaten/spieler/198388/plus/0?saison=2014

The number of players we have had who worked out spectacularly well here and shite elsewhere makes me happy to give the lad a chanice and not judge him on form elsewhere. Besides, if he was great for Rangers he wouldn't be signing with us.

5 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Kidd when he got injured was 1 of our best players at that point.

I'm actually upset he hasn't been back in the side since recovering. Also notice he scored a Free kick the other day so it would be nice to have a 2nd opton with Hippo for them.

I agree with that, what position is he playing with the development side? 

4 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

The number of players we have had who worked out spectacularly well here and shite elsewhere makes me happy to give the lad a chanice and not judge him on form elsewhere. Besides, if he was great for Rangers he wouldn't be signing with us.

I'm happy to give him a chance if he signs, but surely a player's previous record at this level gives you an idea of their quality. By comparison, Alston had 11 goals and 12 assists in 47 games last season (directly involved in a goal every 2nd game).

4 hours ago, MrDust said:

Aird v Shepherd.......hmmm..

It would certainly be an improvement, but using Shepherd as a reference point is setting the bar pretty low IMO.

Edited by lanky_ffc

1 hour ago, gav-ffc said:

Playing in midfield from what I've heard.

Correct. Mark Finlayson is our right back so there's no place for him there. I wasn't paying much attention to his actual position during the game, but I think he was out on the right with Bluesy and Reis in the centre and Hendo on the left.

2 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

I'm happy to give him a chance if he signs, but surely a player's previous record at this level gives you an idea of their quality. By comparison, Alston had 11 goals and 12 assists in 47 games last season (directly involved in a goal every 2nd game

Did you quote the wrong post? :lol:

4 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Correct. Mark Finlayson is our right back so there's no place for him there. I wasn't paying much attention to his actual position during the game, but I think he was out on the right with Bluesy and Reis in the centre and Hendo on the left.

Nicknames for the under 21s.  Check you out!

11 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

Nicknames for the under 21s.  Check you out!

My humblest of humble apologies. I'll try to be more restrained in the future. :P

When you go to U20 games you can hear everything the players shout at each other, including nicknames. After a while you start to pick them up and use them in conversation.

Sadly BB I think the reality was we got totally shown up in that game for the lightweights we were. We were completely over-run in midfield and out-paced down the wings; legitimately bullied & outmuscled, and ultimately outplayed by a supposedly rank Premiership team. They were coming at us in waves and at pace and we had no answer to it; trying to slow the game down was all very well as an idea but we had no-one capable of breaking up their possession in the middle where it really counted. 
A real lack of physical presence in midfield (someone like e.g. Davie Nicholls in his prime) was a major problem that day, and still is this season; we had - and have - too many of one type and build of midfielder, guys that lack a bit of height and dig.  McGrandles I fear would have been as ineffective as the rest that day, and he could have played as a 12th man and been just as easily brushed aside. Houston has yet to solve the problem, and if by some fluke we did get that far again this season it would surely be the same end result.       

I think TBH we were dead on our feet by the final game against Kilmarnock and Houston got the tactics wrong on the day.

Those extra two players, may of gave us that little bit extra freshness to be able to match Kilmarnock.

It's all if, buts and maybes now mind you. Magennis was probably a force we were never going to stop, most teams in the euros found him hard to handle. We should of doubled or even tripled up on him.

For this year who knows? We have better numbers but do we have the quality?!

I think TBH we were dead on our feet by the final game against Kilmarnock and Houston got the tactics wrong on the day.

Those extra two players, may of gave us that little bit extra freshness to be able to match Kilmarnock.

It's all if, buts and maybes now mind you. Magennis was probably a force we were never going to stop, most teams in the euros found him hard to handle. We should of doubled or even tripled up on him.

For this year who knows? We have better numbers but do we have the quality?!

Leahy should've taken one for the team and put him half way up the stand first tackle.

21 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Leahy should've taken one for the team and put him half way up the stand first tackle.

When you consider that he was just coming back from injury, was playing his last game for Killie and was desperate to go to the Euros, that's actually a pretty good plan. One hard tackle early on and he would probably have been anonymous for the rest of the game. Instead.....

When you consider that he was just coming back from injury, was playing his last game for Killie and was desperate to go to the Euros, that's actually a pretty good plan. One hard tackle early on and he would probably have been anonymous for the rest of the game. Instead.....

Leahy & hard tackle sadly don't go together.