The Falkirk FC Thread

42 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We'd really make a go of it like the last season we went up.  Some exciting signings and a real buzz about the club

Do you remember who we signed in the summer during the last season before we went up?

Mark Campbell from Ayr, who turned out to be the donkey that we all thought he would.

Former Livingston Asst Manager Alan Kernaghan, who was 38 years old at the time.

Colin Marshall, a young midfielder who was released after failing to make the grade at St Johnstone, who were in the same league as us at the time. (and would finish the season 3rd bottom)

Andy Thomson, who was pretty much the definition of a journeyman striker who failed to make the grade at Partick Thistle. The John Baird of his day, if you like.

Manuel Kante, who went on to play a total of two games - in the Stirlingshire Cup.

Pedro Moutinho who was a complete unknown at the time and came in because of Latapy.

And Darryl Duffy. I'll agree he was an exciting signing, though somehow I suspect that if we signed an ex-Old Firm youth tomorrow you would slag him off as a lazy signing rather than give him a chance.

I can't recall many of them giving me a "real buzz". In fact, after watching Hughes sign the like of James Sharp, Brent Rahim, Jason Lee, Davide Xausa & Colin McMenamin the season before I was expecting most of them to be duds. It was only when I went down to Blyth and watched us rip the Northumbrians apart 7-1 that I realised we might actually turn out decent.

I think your memories of that preseason are just a little hazy.

Interesting bit in the Herald
Leading commercial property advisor GVA will market the project on a local, national and international scale to entice investors to the 150-acre site at Westfield and boost the future economic prosperity of the area. The development is being funded by Falkirk’s Tax Incremental Funding (TIF) model and initial plans involve the formation of a new urban quarter with £17m of pump-priming investment. Infrastructure projects also include a state-of-the-art Falkirk Community Stadium and delivery of a new £83m STEM focussed Forth Valley College campus. Douglas Duff, head of economic development and environmental services at Falkirk Council, said: “We are making good progress with the TIF initiative and are excited to witness this latest milestone in our plans for the coming year to support new development in Falkirk.”

Read more at: http://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/news/business/gateway-plan-moves-ahead-1-4480601?t=1&cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjc18y&iid=f3dd2da9e0e94a24b81967cde022336c&uid=27085909&nid=244+276893704
Is this the legendary 4th Stand on its way?

Would be nice although it does not really say that it will.

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Do you remember who we signed in the summer during the last season before we went up?

Mark Campbell from Ayr, who turned out to be the donkey that we all thought he would.

Former Livingston Asst Manager Alan Kernaghan, who was 38 years old at the time.

Colin Marshall, a young midfielder who was released after failing to make the grade at St Johnstone, who were in the same league as us at the time. (and would finish the season 3rd bottom)

Andy Thomson, who was pretty much the definition of a journeyman striker who failed to make the grade at Partick Thistle. The John Baird of his day, if you like.

Manuel Kante, who went on to play a total of two games - in the Stirlingshire Cup.

Pedro Moutinho who was a complete unknown at the time and came in because of Latapy.

And Darryl Duffy. I'll agree he was an exciting signing, though somehow I suspect that if we signed an ex-Old Firm youth tomorrow you would slag him off as a lazy signing rather than give him a chance.

I can't recall many of them giving me a "real buzz". In fact, after watching Hughes sign the like of James Sharp, Brent Rahim, Jason Lee, Davide Xausa & Colin McMenamin the season before I was expecting most of them to be duds. It was only when I went down to Blyth and watched us rip the Northumbrians apart 7-1 that I realised we might actually turn out decent.

Campbell played 25 games and whilst not the greatest player did ok at championship level. We also brought in the likes of John O'Neill and Danny Mcbreen. Can you see Houston uncovering someone like mcbreen who did very well for us that season? No chance as he didn't play in the central belt and we had never came up against him. Andy thomson had pedigree from down south having played and scored a load of goals at the likes of qpr and returned 9 goals which wasn't bad as he only started 13 games. To get the likes of Duffy we had to beat off a number of other teams and that meant loosening the budget and making a real go of it. I just want us to look at following that success again.

Yer man Kelevra is in the right ball park there. "aye but who wid you sign, you couldny dae better!" is a daft argument.

The same argument that some Mike when a managerial change is suggested. Who would you get instead?

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Campbell played 25 games and whilst not the greatest player did ok at championship level. We also brought in the likes of John O'Neill and Danny Mcbreen. Can you see Houston uncovering someone like mcbreen who did very well for us that season? No chance as he didn't play in the central belt and we had never came up against him. Andy thomson had pedigree from down south having played and scored a load of goals at the likes of qpr and returned 9 goals which wasn't bad as he only started 13 games. To get the likes of Duffy we had to beat off a number of other teams and that meant loosening the budget and making a real go of it. I just want us to look at following that success again.

You're moving the goalposts Shadwell. Your original post (paraphrasing here) was about an exciting summerful of signings before we went up. My recollection, backed up by stats, is that it didn't happen - Duffy excepted.

O'Neill had been at the club a year at that point, as he played, and was pretty poor, in the preceding season at Ochilview. McBreen didn't arrive until September as he spent preseason playing at the lofty heights of St Albans City.

I agree that I'd like to see us loosening the budget and beating off a number of other teams to sign someone who could bring success. The point is that the window of opportunity for doing that hasn't passed. If, as the rumours suggest, we're interested in Rory Loy, then that may be just what we're planning, but at the moment he's contracted to Dundee.

Would you rather we waited to see what happens, as we may be doing, or go and spend money on an unknown tomorrow just to get you excited? 

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If someone can give me a decent reason  why I should be happy we signed Alex Harris other than he did no bad for queen of the South then I will. Too many people happy with the same old mediocre signings and total lack of ambition.

I'll give you four:

1 | He can score goals.

giphy.gif

2 | He can contribute assists.

giphy.gif

3 | You're getting him four three for free.

4 | 3

15 minutes ago, Mon Dieu said:

I'll give you four:

1 | He can score goals.

giphy.gif

2 | He can contribute assists.

giphy.gif

3 | You're getting him four three for free.

4 | 3

Mcgovern should have saved that easily. If he's that great then you'd be better off keeping him.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

24 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

You're moving the goalposts Shadwell. Your original post (paraphrasing here) was about an exciting summerful of signings before we went up. My recollection, backed up by stats, is that it didn't happen - Duffy excepted.

O'Neill had been at the club a year at that point, as he played, and was pretty poor, in the preceding season at Ochilview. McBreen didn't arrive until September as he spent preseason playing at the lofty heights of St Albans City.

I agree that I'd like to see us loosening the budget and beating off a number of other teams to sign someone who could bring success. The point is that the window of opportunity for doing that hasn't passed. If, as the rumours suggest, we're interested in Rory Loy, then that may be just what we're planning, but at the moment he's contracted to Dundee.

Would you rather we waited to see what happens, as we may be doing, or go and spend money on an unknown tomorrow just to get you excited? 

I've got no problem with us waiting in fact I'd have much rather we'd held off on Harris and tried to get someone decent. No need to rush sign him.  I very much doubt there was a huge queue wanting him.

Are there any more signings expected this week ? I think we may have to wait until players come back from their time off for anymore. I'd like to be wrong though because this is the usual reading. I understand the sentiments of both sides of the argument, but can't understand how some people can get so wound up. Save it until the window is closed or if we confirm no more signings to be made. If you're not happy then, then quite rightly vent. I just find it really silly reacting like this when it's only June.

You can't understand how some people can get so wound up? [emoji23]

3 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Don't ever mention David xausa on a Falkirk thread again

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

David Xausa.

David Xausa

David Xausa

(Just want to see the duke kick off tbh)

Up there with hugh hill & Brian scrimgeour as the most useless ever to disgrace the navy blue...mason Boyne as well of course

10 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but I don't see it happening under Houston as he doesn't appear to be anything other than a safe manager who won't take a risk. This I think suits our current board.

It appears clear that we have a wage structure that won't allow us to even bid for the likes of Dobbie, Loy or players of that ilk that could take us to the next level.

The loan market could be an option but it would appear as someone else has stated that Houston doesn't like loan players and prefers players that he can work with and develop.

I don't know what the answer is other than a change of manager or changes in the board.

I'll be honest though and say I would rather sign 2 cracking players on £2k a week that cud progress us than 8 mediocre ones on £500 a week so I think the wage cap maybe needs to go.

Think you may just change your mind if the two £2k players are unavailable and we have no £500 guys to replace them because, on that basis, we'd be cutting 6 players from the squad!

5 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I've yet to have anyone convince me I've got to say. Technically good but a shitebags who doesn't get involved. Sounds like Alex Cooper all over again.

Give me 'aye he's a cracking player who'll do very well for u guys 'any day of the week.

Ok Shadwell, just what sort of player do you want then? An unknown or someone with a proven record who's going to take a big slice of the budget?

There is, of course, no guarantee that either will be any good in a Falkirk shirt but which would get you excited exactly? How about Kris Commons for example? Do you think we could tempt him for, say, £3k a week? We can just cut a few out of the squad to accommodate him, can't we?

We need to trim the squad yes . Go for quality over quantity. Sign a few better quality players and use our renowned youth academy players to fill in spaces in the squad. Yes you would need a bit of luck on the injury front but it's the only way a club like ours can gain the advantage we need to win the league. Would we have been any worse off last season if we hadn't had aird, rankin, McCracken, kidd and McHugh but instead had two players on higher wages that were that bit better quality?

Stretch the budget a wee bit trim the squad and use some more of our young guys coming through as backups. It's the way to go in my mind instead of signing the Alex Harris's of this world.

And I certainly haven't moved the goalposts. I'm not unhappy because we haven't made any signings in unhappy with the quality of the one we have made. If it took all window to get the right players in then so be it. Yes it would be great to announce a signing just now that would punt season tickets but I'd rather we took our time. I seem to remember stokes signing on the last day of the window. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Think you may just change your mind if the two £2k players are unavailable and we have no £500 guys to replace them because, on that basis, we'd be cutting 6 players from the squad!

Isn't going to happen anyway as we clearly have a wage structure at the club.