The Falkirk FC Thread

There's players out there if you put the effort in to find them. We've done it before. Other clubs at our level are able to bring in that bit more quality so why can't we. The likes of Dobbie at queens and McGinn at st mirren are the quality of player we need to try and get hold of. That needs effort though and decent contacts and we as a side seem to lack both at the moment. How much effort did we put in to try and find a right mid before Harris. Surely there was no rush to sign him as let's face it we're the best offer he's going to get. I can only hope that due to his lack of previous form he's on a pittance at us leaving a decent amount of cash available for some better signings.

Central midfielder and a striker...both would be good but probably would command a larger budget than we have available.

Honestly, neither you and I know how much market scouring the club have done so I don't see that we are In a position to criticise just now. We maybe could have waited and ended up with no-one as a right winger. We are all concerned re how much business other clubs are doing just now.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

There's players out there if you put the effort in to find them. We've done it before. Other clubs at our level are able to bring in that bit more quality so why can't we. The likes of Dobbie at queens and McGinn at st mirren are the quality of player we need to try and get hold of. That needs effort though and decent contacts and we as a side seem to lack both at the moment. How much effort did we put in to try and find a right mid before Harris. Surely there was no rush to sign him as let's face it we're the best offer he's going to get. I can only hope that due to his lack of previous form he's on a pittance at us leaving a decent amount of cash available for some better signings.

Out of all the examples of better scouting and contacts you have repeated the names McGinn and Dobbie, where both to an extent landed on their laps due to previous bonds with previously being there and McGinn having crippling injuries.

Similarly this hopefully will happen with Loy and has done previously with the likes of Mark Millar, Kerr, McAllister, McGrandles etc.

Yes Houston's signing policy has been flawed but I think you need a little bit of luck nowadays to pick up something unknown and worth £s. The transfers so far are the same merry go round players of which, not one in this division so far has made me shite my knickers like you have.

Ourselves and St mirren are hoping we get Loy but who is next best equal or even better target ?

Scottish Fitba right now is bigger clubs stealing lower clubs players and rescuing previous successful players up here, from their failures down south

I'd personally like to see us plunder the loan market, we haven't used it like other clubs have in this division to their advantage.

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Back-to-back 2nd place trophies and this is what Houston gets?

How quickly they forget.

And a cup final.

Has One F closed down ....:lol:

Jees you would think the apocalypse just happened at the club we only signed Alex Harris and we are doomed already ffs and the lad hasnt even kicked a ball for us yet.

Edited by Jackie Moon

Yer man Kelevra is in the right ball park there. "aye but who wid you sign, you couldny dae better!" is a daft argument.

So let's all just carry on slating the club rather than supporting it then?

I don't expect him to actually sign them[emoji16]

An awful lot of moaning without anyone coming up with reasonable suggestions of names who might be available and affordable. FFS.

Ooftie this thread is going into meltdown [emoji16]

Doesn't matter who we sign and how shite they have been at other clubs we should give them a chance.

Seems to me Harris has a chance with us to get his career back on track and hopefully he will realise that and who knows he might turn out alright.

If he is shite after a run in the side then come on here and give him pelters but we have signed him now so gotta give him a chance.

9 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Shadwell, we're not in a position to sign players that the likes of a Hibs, Hearts or even St Johnstone want to keep. Like it or not we're shopping for players that clubs of that stature don't want any more and that would include clubs of a similar stature in England. 

Our best hope of getting some quality and potential in is the loan of some youngster from England and I feel sure that Houston will have looked at that market. It may well be yet that we'll see someone of that ilk coming in.

Also worth pointing out that Hibs have gone up a division. We have no idea whether they might have kept Harris had they gotten stuck another year in this division with the lower budget that would have brought. 

Doesn't matter who we sign and how shite they have been at other clubs we should give them a chance.

Nobody is saying otherwise. It's fair to offer an opinion on a signing based on what we've seen of them elsewhere.

If we signed an obese 40 year old striker who'd been released by Dunipace following 1 goal in 45 games last season, would you say it doesn't matter who we signed?

FWIW Harris is a lazy, uninspiring signing but he fits a need and still has youth on his side and has some sort of track record at this level. If he's quick it'll help us. I give it a 5/10.

Nobody is saying otherwise. It's fair to offer an opinion on a signing based on what we've seen of them elsewhere.

If we signed an obese 40 year old striker who'd been released by Dunipace following 1 goal in 45 games last season, would you say it doesn't matter who we signed?

FWIW Harris is a lazy, uninspiring signing but he fits a need and still has youth on his side and has some sort of track record at this level. If he's quick it'll help us. I give it a 5/10.

Totally agree everyone has a right to their opinio, but i still don't think there is a need for the level of negativity on this thread. It's not as if we have signed an obese 40 year old striker from Dunipace

I'm not saying it is an inspiring signing and one that will turn us into a championship winning side but I will reserve my judgement until I see how he does for us.

Hmm, perhaps like Gary Harkins?

Signed by a well regarded manager at Morton. I guess that would have been seen as seriously lazy too? Certainly some of our supporters would be apoplectic with rage.[emoji16]

However, perhaps Duffy thinks there is potential there to be exploited. Here's a thought...perhaps Houston thinks the same about Harris.

Just now, roman_bairn said:

Hmm, perhaps like Gary Harkins?

Signed by a well regarded manager at Morton. I guess that would have been seen as seriously lazy too? Certainly some of our supporters would be apoplectic with rage.emoji16.png

However, perhaps Duffy thinks there is potential there to be exploited. Here's a thought...perhaps Houston thinks the same about Harris.

okay Alex we get it.