The Falkirk FC Thread

7 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Cos he'll be earning about 10k per week.

Double it. 

Not to mention the fact hes retired.

45 minutes ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

While I absolutely agree with what you are saying here wasn't Kernaghan signed towards the end of the title winning season. I remember him being shoehorned into the team and being consistently mediocre and most of the fans thinking he was a bit duff but Yogi persevered. I think Colin Marshall might have been a mid season signing too. Sorry for boring pedantry. 

Kernaghan was signed about halfway through the season. He was also 37.

In the season we won promotion, we spent the first half playing fantastic, exciting, pacy football.

We then signed Kernaghan, played five at the back (alternating between Campbell, Hughes, Sharp, James and Kernaghan in the centre) and played complete and utter hoofball for five months.

Edited by Gaz

Commons would obviously have to settle for much less than his Celtic salary if he wanted to continue playing in Scotland however, that figure would still be well outside our affordability unless we binned half of our squad to release the cash. 

It appears that some folk think that would be a good idea.

Also, I would seriously doubt that we would get even half a season out of him!

7 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Andy Thomson, who was pretty much the definition of a journeyman striker who failed to make the grade at Partick Thistle. The John Baird of his day, if you like.

Sorry, not having that. Andy Thomson was winding down his career when he joined you and even more so when he subsequently joined us but he was a very good striker at his best who played the best part of a decade at English Championship level with Southend, Gillingham and QPR playing, and scoring regularly, at a much higher level than John Baird ever has.

9 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Kernaghan was signed about halfway through the season. He was also 37.

In the season we won promotion, we spent the first half playing fantastic, exciting, pacy football.

We then signed Kernaghan, played five at the back (alternating between Campbell, Hughes, Sharp, James and Kernaghan in the centre) and played complete and utter hoofball for five months.

I remember the last 10 games or so when the league was practically sown up being a slog to watch. Latapy and Duffy were our get out of jail cards

Bollocks to this Commons rubbish! Just sign Loy.

Commons was thrown in as an example! I was meaning I would rather pay the £1700 pw that Loy is reportedly on than Aird, Kidd and Rankin. With Bob, Baird and Leah gone we should have at least £1700 pw free.

On 6/20/2017 at 04:17, Biggarbairn said:

Jim Jefferies was at times a master of wheeling and dealing - who will ever forget punting Eddie May to Motherwell for Paul McGrillen and Stevie Kirk plus cash! Now Housty's nowhere near as astute however if he could pull one out the bag along the lines of Sibbald to Hibs for Stanton, Brian Graham plus cash then I might be mildly impressed. Add Loy to the mix in a separate deal along with an experienced left back and that would just about do me. Chances? Virtually zero but we can always hope.

I wish folk would stop using JJ as an example, it was f"cking 25 years ago.

With all the talk of us needing better quality signings than Harris I have thought of a good question. Who are these great signings people would be happy with and are willing to play championship football?

I'll preempt the Sadwell reply of 'it's not my fucking job to tell you that, it's up to the management, that's what they're paid for' etc. Aka they've got no alternatives.

I always thought that if I won mega millions on the lotto or euro millions, that I'd takeover the club and put a few million in. The more I read forums like this or the Facebook page, the more I think no chance would I go near a football club, just constant dog's abuse with no chance of pleasing anything like everybody even if we're going well!!

With all the talk of us needing better quality signings than Harris I have thought of a good question. Who are these great signings people would be happy with and are willing to play championship football?

I'll preempt the Sadwell reply of 'it's not my fucking job to tell you that, it's up to the management, that's what they're paid for' etc. Aka they've got no alternatives.

Now I'm in now way backing up Shadwells utter pish that he's been spouting the last few days.

But this patter about asking who we should sign instead is just dreadful. Who knows how much our budget it is, how much we can offer per week and we've no got access to the scouring network that I assume the club will have. That's just as bad as Shadwells dreary pish.

My personal opinion on the signing is whilst it is extremely underwhelming and lazy, I think a lot of people including myself pretty much called it as soon as he was let go by Hibs, it's not the worst signing in the world and I'm sure there is a player in there somewhere so let's see how he gets on. We got Tom Taiwo from Hibs 3 years ago and as far as I can remember he didn't get great reviews from them but he's been a solid signing for us.

Now I'm in now way backing up Shadwells utter pish that he's been spouting the last few days.

But this patter about asking who we should sign instead is just dreadful. Who knows how much our budget it is, how much we can offer per week and we've no got access to the scouring network that I assume the club will have. That's just as bad as Shadwells dreary pish.

My personal opinion on the signing is whilst it is extremely underwhelming and lazy, I think a lot of people including myself pretty much called it as soon as he was let go by Hibs, it's not the worst signing in the world and I'm sure there is a player in there somewhere so let's see how he gets on. We got Tom Taiwo from Hibs 3 years ago and as far as I can remember he didn't get great reviews from them but he's been a solid signing for us.

Usually when people complain about something or someone it's because they believe they should have an alternative. I agree with you, nobody knows our budget on here, so nobody can really know whether we could afford better or not. So when people moan about signing a player, without having an alternative in mind, what were they expecting?

16 minutes ago, Trump said:

Who'd have thought the likes of latapy,vaulks, el alagui, Taylor, Higginbottom etc would want to play for us in the championship. We need to put in the effort to find these players and we need to ensure we use every contact we have at our disposal.  At the moment we seem to be working within a very small pool of available players which covers the central belt and very little else.

Will be interesting to see the make up of the squad in Budapest. I would like to think that there will be a number of trialists included whether from here or over there.  Some of our better signings have been those brought in on trial from elsewhere pre season although that seems to have stopped somewhat since Houston took over.

1 hour ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

I remember the last 10 games or so when the league was practically sown up being a slog to watch. Latapy and Duffy were our get out of jail cards

I remember one midweek game against Clyde. Clyde pretty much needed to win to have any chance of staying in the title race, and it finished 0-0. Bryn Halliwell reacted at the final whistle like he'd just won the fucking World Cup instead of delaying our title win by a week or so.

Usually when people complain about something or someone it's because they believe they should have an alternative. I agree with you, nobody knows our budget on here, so nobody can really know whether we could afford better or not. So when people moan about signing a player, without having an alternative in mind, what were they expecting?

I imagine the reaction has been mostly because the signing was so obvious and like I said lazy. Obviously nobody is expecting to go out and sign a world beater or anything (well apart from maybe one person) but it would be refreshing to see Houston look elsewhere for players. For instance I'd much rather we looked down south and took a punt on someone from there than sign some Championship jobber that we know is going to be bang average (Im looking at you here Lewis Kidd)

Now I'm not meaning that directed towards the signing of Harris but just overall at Houstons signing policy. For all the faults that Pressley had at least he did try something different in the transfer market occasionally. Sure they weren't all a success (Andy Haworth for example) but it's a risk worth taking if there's more players like Higginbotham, Vaulks, Leahy, Taylor etc... out there.

I feel a bit sick for giving Pressley a bit of praise there. c**t got us relegated, made BoB our captain and signed such wonders as Ross Perry and Chris Smith. I fucking hate Steven Pressley.

9 minutes ago, Russ said:

I imagine the reaction has been mostly because the signing was so obvious and like I said lazy. Obviously nobody is expecting to go out and sign a world beater or anything (well apart from maybe one person) but it would be refreshing to see Houston look elsewhere for players. For instance I'd much rather we looked down south and took a punt on someone from there than sign some Championship jobber that we know is going to be bang average (Im looking at you here Lewis Kidd)

Now I'm not meaning that directed towards the signing of Harris but just overall at Houstons signing policy. For all the faults that Pressley had at least he did try something different in the transfer market occasionally. Sure they weren't all a success (Andy Haworth for example) but it's a risk worth taking if there's more players like Higginbotham, Vaulks, Leahy, Taylor etc... out there.

I feel a bit sick for giving Pressley a bit of praise there. c**t got us relegated, made BoB our captain and signed such wonders as Ross Perry and Chris Smith. I fucking hate Steven Pressley.

I agree completely. I'm not looking for a world beater I'm just looking for a few players that could play at a higher level. If we'd gone up we'd have had to bring in a number of players that could do that . I'd like to see us still looking for players at that level but instead of a number of them your looking at 3 or 4. The bod have to back the manager with funds to do that though.At the moment we're still about 5 players down on last season and Harris can't be on much so there should be a fair bit of budget left .