The Falkirk FC Thread

I hope these Q and As don't just turn into the usual chorus of "Why aren't we playing the young boys" - because they're not good enough, "why is x player(usually O'Hara) not in the team"- because he's not good enough, and "why aren't we signing junior players"- because they're not good enough.

Edited by EdiBairn

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

What’s the betting a few things happen tomorrow to keep the punters happy over the next couple of nights? Or am I just being cynical?

Isn't that what usually happens ?

Only one I took owt from was one where they couldn't answer where the money went and Stevie Crawford nearly in tears over the work Pressley did.

I'll pass 

37 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

I hope these Q and As don't just turn into the usual chorus of "Why aren't we playing the young boys" - because they're not good enough, "why is x player(usually O'Hara) not in the team"- because he's not good enough, and "why aren't we signing junior players"- because they're not good enough.

Do you think you'll ever manage to make a post without getting a dig in about O Hara? 

17 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Do you think you'll ever manage to make a post without getting a dig in about O Hara? 

There's digs at Alex Harris and Scott Shepherd in most posts on this thread 

Edited by EdiBairn

21 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Am I alone in thinking that O’Hara still has the quality we need and is still developing?

Both O Hara and Shepherd (who I think Edi Bairns posts are championing) have quality. Shepherd's awards this season at Edinburgh City prove that. Both are pacey, have a bit of skill and can finish, at least when the pressure is off. (Both have missed glaring  chances for the Falkirk first team, but have been prolific in spells when dropping back to U20s) . And I say that from the perspective of having seen 99% of their games in the navy blue, both at first team and U20 level. I would be surprised  if they  didn't manage  to get careers in the game which follow a similar trajectory to Andy Rodgers; ie scoring goals at multiple clubs for a long time at lower levels.

I'm not sure either have the step up in quality to be prolific at either Championship or higher level, though for obvious reasons I would be delighted if either could prove me wrong. It seems both will be FFC players next season so they will have a chance to do so.

Edited by Bainsfordbairn

Both O Hara and Shepherd (who I think Edi Bairns posts are championing) have quality. Shepherd's awards this season at Edinburgh City prove that. Both are pacey, have a bit of skill and can finish, at least when the pressure is off. (Both have missed glaring  chances for the Falkirk first team, but have been prolific in spells when dropping back to U20s) . And I say that from the perspective of having seen 99% of their games in the navy blue, both at first team and U20 level. I would be surprised  if they  didn't manage  to get careers in the game which follow a similar trajectory to Andy Rodgers; ie scoring goals at multiple clubs for a long time at lower levels.
I'm not sure either have the step up in quality to be prolific at either Championship or higher level, though for obvious reasons I would be delighted if either could prove me wrong. It seems both will be FFC players next season they have a chance to do so.

Kevin looked like he had developed strength when I have watched him this season which is good and I think a confidence issue at first team level is holding him back. If he got a few goals things could change but then I bow to your better knowledge as I am a first team fan only!

Hartley's stated that we're going to have a first team squad of around 20. If that means that we've only got room for 4 strikers then, assuming that we will have 3 others in front of him, I wouldn't be upset at having O'Hara as 4th choice given that he's not likely to cost too much and as budget will obviously play a part on who we can bring in.

Nothing against Shepherd but I feel he's had more of a chance in the 1st team and hasn't really been able to make the step up so I'd give him the chance to sign for Edinburgh City permanently as he's enjoyed some success with them at that level.

3 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Can see O’Hara getting some game time from the bench initially. Think Shepherd May go out on loan again though.

I felt sorry for Kev when he got his eight game ban at the start of November. Sheps had just gone out on loan to Edinburgh, Rory  hadn't started since the end of September and Hippo & Fash hadn't scored for a month & two months respectively. We were crying out for a goalscorer. That was his chance to get game time, impress the new manager and show what he could do.  Instead he got an unjustified OTT ban and by the time he was able to play again the transfer window had opened and Nelson/Jakubiak had arrived.

Forgetting it's O'Hara and Shepherd we're talking about, no team with title aspirations can have a striker with 0 goals in 42 appearances in the squad even as a back up.  Hartley would be hung, drawn and quartered if he signed a striker with that goal scoring record.

Edited by EdiBairn

1 hour ago, EdiBairn said:

Forgetting it's O'Hara and Shepherd we're talking about, no team with title aspirations can have a striker with 0 goals in 42 appearances in the squad even as a back up.  Hartley would be hung, drawn and quartered if he signed a striker with that goal scoring record.

Doubt there will be enough cash in the budget to allow him to sign 4 proven goalscorers so a back-up 4th choice is likely to be a young guy who wants to prove himself and won't cost too much. O'Hara hasn't played as many games as Shepherd, who I think has managed the grand total of two; he's also a couple of years younger and may still have to develop a bit. Worth the punt more than Shepherd is IMO.

25 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Doubt there will be enough cash in the budget to allow him to sign 4 proven goalscorers so a back-up 4th choice is likely to be a young guy who wants to prove himself and won't cost too much. O'Hara hasn't played as many games as Shepherd, who I think has managed the grand total of two; he's also a couple of years younger and may still have to develop a bit. Worth the punt more than Shepherd is IMO.

Shepherd has played a few more games, but virtually all his appearances in the last few seasons have been out of position whereas O'Hara has always played upfront. I don't think either are great by any means, but I just think Shepherd has shown he can score goals when played in his proper position(albeit at a lower level) which O'Hara has never done.

Shepherd is also still under contract so I don't think O'Hara is that much better to justify his wage plus paying off Shepherd's contract.

Edited by EdiBairn

Odds on now that it’s Ross County who will be coming down automatically.

Should that prove the case it means another team who will invest heavily to get up again immediately. It could also spur on ICT next season who also finished this season strongly.

I suspect we have a real battle on our hands again next session....