The Falkirk FC Thread

not read anything on here since before the game on Saturday so may have been said before. i think its obvious really, in both games so far this season...1st half with that shit formation we have been shit...2nd half  in both games when we went to a 442, we have looked decent scored goals in both 2nd half performances, Harrisons was a good goal chopped off...start the next game with the 442.

not sure if we are giving too many teams too much respect and stopping them play. try to play our way and give them something to think about.

1 hour ago, Bairn Necessities said:

I've always thought the way to do this is to have 3 or 4 "marquee" signings. On maybe a grand a week.. or a grand and a half. 

Fill the rest of the team with jobbers or youths, maybe loans on max of 400 quid. (Academy.. cough)

Quality over quantity. Do t blow your budget was crazily.. just use it differently.

Couldn't agree more with this, just look at the forward situation. We currently 5 on the books with possibly 1 more to bring in, why do we need 6 forwards on the books? I'd have thought maximum 4 would be enough and I'm including O'Hara in that as someone to come off the bench if needed. 

20 minutes ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

Couldn't agree more with this, just look at the forward situation. We currently 5 on the books with possibly 1 more to bring in, why do we need 6 forwards on the books? I'd have thought maximum 4 would be enough and I'm including O'Hara in that as someone to come off the bench if needed. 

With Haber,lewis,o'hara,shepherd,mackin,turner already there we could end up with 7 if shepherd digs his heels in. Crazy for a club us.I said weeks ago that a club our size should only have 3 or a max 4 strikers of a decent quality and was shot down.

Obviously you have to have quality players but this idea that you can just bring in a few marquee signings with no back up at all is wide of the mark.

You have to have squad depth or your entire season can be wrecked by 1 or 2 injuries. Just look at the squad we had in 2013/14:

McGovern

Duffie McCracken Vaulks Kingsley 

McGrandles Fulton Alston Millar Sibbald

Loy

I think most people would agree the starting 11 is far better than what we have now or recently, but we failed to get promoted as we had no squad depth at all.

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

With Haber,lewis,o'hara,shepherd,mackin,turner already there we could end up with 7 if shepherd digs his heels in. Crazy for a club us.I said weeks ago that a club our size should only have 3 or a max 4 strikers of a decent quality and was shot down.

We could easily have 3 if we plan to play 1 up front. With a wide player or attacking midfielder who can do a turn up there if needed. Much bigger clubs do that. 

Of my 3/4 marquee lads shout. I'd have 2 as strikers. A centre half and a midfielder, if you can afford 4.

agree with last post from edibairn - and i think this what worries most fans. i remember hartley saying he would only sign players of quality better than we already had....dnt think that has been the case and on recent showings we seem to be worse off.

Edited by faedenny

4 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

Obviously you have to have quality players but this idea that you can just bring in a few marquee signings with no back up at all is wide of the mark.

You have to have squad depth or your entire season can be wrecked by 1 or 2 injuries. Just look at the squad we had in 2013/14:

McGovern

Loy

I think most people would agree the starting 11 is far better than what we have now or recently, but we failed to get promoted as we had no squad depth at all.

So how exactly do you propose affording a squad of "quality and depth"?

It's one or the other 

4 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

McGovern

Loy

Look how many players we have at the moment though?  6 strikers,  at least another 6 central midfielders. 3 left backs . There's no need for that many. Quality over quantity has to be our mantra to get out of this league. 

What's all this chat about marquee signings?  Is it a requirement from Falkrik fans that they must sign someone they've heard of before?  Paul Paton or Froxylias for example?

Surely it's Hartley's job to sign players that will improve the team, not just get a player in to sell an extra 200 season tickets.

Mackin is not a Dud he's capable of scoring 10 15 goals at this level if he's playing for a tea.m creating chances. Sadly he is not the type to create something from nothing and will be at best an average striker as hes not athletic enough to  move to a higher level. He's worth having around as a squad player but Haber will start when fit. The bigger problem is Lewis seems to lack any class and turner has shown nothing. Who's going to score the goals? 

1 hour ago, Bairn Necessities said:

We'll get something from the QoS game...

Abject failure, one up top and more boos than the Xmas panto

59 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

We could easily have 3 if we plan to play 1 up front. With a wide player or attacking midfielder who can do a turn up there if needed. Much bigger clubs do that. 

Of my 3/4 marquee lads shout. I'd have 2 as strikers. A centre half and a midfielder, if you can afford 4.

The bigger clubs that play one up top have real quality in behind to make a 4-2-3-1 work, its a negative formation if you don't have quality behind the one striker.

We were hoofball on Saturday to Mackin and the centre half had his number, albeit hoofball to a single striker is as good as kicking the ball out of play

55 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

What's all this chat about marquee signings?  Is it a requirement from Falkrik fans that they must sign someone they've heard of before?  Paul Paton or Froxylias for example?

Surely it's Hartley's job to sign players that will improve the team, not just get a player in to sell an extra 200 season tickets.

We just like big tents, tbf. 

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Well yes. And players who improve the team tend to want to be paid more than minimum wage