The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

It might actually hurt FSS if people left FSS to give money direct - although why they would is beyond me when there is no additional benefit and no say in the club.

I was thinking the plus bit being a direct payment into FSS on a monthly basis. £20 being for your season and the other £10 being a member of FSS. It would bring it together as one monthly outgoing and some existing FSS members may also take up the scheme and that increases their stake. A lot of people dont have £240 to shelve out at once so may buy in to this Klarna type offer

1 hour ago, Brockvillenomore said:

I was at the AGM. If they’d used Hearts in that slide I’d perhaps agree with you. But they didn’t.  I’m sure the comparison was size of clubs like ours. So it was St.Mirren, Motherwell and Morton? Not sure if there was another. All of them had more than us and framed as “it’s only been a year”. It was also an FSS rep who talked us through that section.

At the time I felt an awful lot was being squeezed into the time available and the slides were a bit rushed. 

My recollection is there was lots of support for the FSS throughout the presentations. You had your pop up stall and were canvassing for members for example. I can’t be sure but I think the FSS featured in every section in some way. All positively. 

There was also a reflection on a concern the appetite for fan ownership not being where the BoD thought it was and the added concern of the financial pressure on fans. 

Is that a narrative forming or a realisation of a potential reality? 

As a shareholder with a modest 300 shares I only saw people in FSS and the club wanting to bring success and trying their best. 

It was similar sized clubs but ones whose organisations formed out of crisis and clubs who have sustained a higher level of success in recent times being in the Premiership. 

Those factors as well as a breakdown of the actual number tell a different story which is getting ignored for whatever reason. What counts is contributions and we’re not a million miles off Motherwell or St.Mirren as depicted.

We need more members but I don’t think a new scheme will help. There is also the concern about this new scheme/benefits incurring VAT which would result in an instant 20% loss. 

Let’s focus on having more sign up to the existing scheme(FSS) and if anyone wants to help improve then jump on board and let’s get to work! 

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

So I assume with the “we” comments you are involved? 

Why do you think it is a slow burn? Have you thought about engaging the junior section of the support? Under 18 fee? if that’s how other clubs boost their numbers so be it. 
I have been a member from really early on and I signed up on PayPal? As a business owner we take payments by that method and it annoys the s**t out of me as it the most expensive way for me to collect my money. How many members are collected that way? How much does that cost annually? 
I spoke to one of your committee members on Saturday and I will now up my subs and move to SO. How many more current members are in my situation? What about working the phones proactively? I know when the former Bairns Trust did that back in 2010 they raised a load of money for the share sale then. 

I am fully behind Fan Ownership, but what I am more behind is the club’s requirements to raise the required finance to give the manager a competitive budget and that also finance that protects the club.

The Board and FSS cannot be blamed if only 25% of the fanbase have currently signed up. Therefore both the club and FSS IMO need to look at how they can tap into that 75% as a minim and enhance what it is getting from the 25%. Have you tried to sell us members anything? If you have I apologise as I have missed it. 

It appears to me that we have a great foundation to kick on. Kicking on will however need understanding, collaboration and hard work.

Good luck to all involved - it is a thankless task. 

Agree.

For an organisation like FSS, PayPal should be the last resort. I give my £20 by s/o. Absolutely no cost to FSS.

When the new season comes round, it will be vitally important to get the admin correct with FSS being a big part of the ST sales campaign.

Anyway, thanks to all the volunteers for the great work they do.

Just as an aside, although the now defunct BfL was relatively small, around 150 members, a good number of the members were resident far away from Falkirk and not attenders at games. Maybe we should try to target such folks within the UK and also ex pats living overseas?

3 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

There are also financial benefits though of being in the championship. Not sure what the prize money is for coming tenth but it's probably more or at least on a par with winning league one. There's bigger gates both from more home fans coming back and the fact we will have away supports from the likes of Partick, Raith , perhaps Dundee and more than likely Dunfermline . might not cover all the shortfall but would cover some of it .

And maybe Dundee Utd, Motherwell, Kilmarnock...

1 hour ago, Wingman said:

Agree.

For an organisation like FSS, PayPal should be the last resort. I give my £20 by s/o. Absolutely no cost to FSS.

When the new season comes round, it will be vitally important to get the admin correct with FSS being a big part of the ST sales campaign.

Anyway, thanks to all the volunteers for the great work they do.

Just as an aside, although the now defunct BfL was relatively small, around 150 members, a good number of the members were resident far away from Falkirk and not attenders at games. Maybe we should try to target such folks within the UK and also ex pats living overseas?

Unfortunately PayPal, is a necessity due to its ease of signups. If all we had available was SO’s then I doubt we’d have anywhere near the number of members that we do. There is also an issue with retrieving contact details with SO’s as had a few join using our details but without letting us know who they are so we can properly enrol them as a member and add them to our mailing lists etc.

That said, I 100% agree regarding your sentiments about PayPal fees and we’re trying to persuade more to move over to Standing Order. If anyone on here is PayPal and would like to move to SO then please get in touch subscriptions@falkirksupporters.org and we can instruct you how to move over to a Standing Order. 

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Just curiosity but why don’t you think he would interest clubs in a higher division?…

Too old, not sexy enough. Only my opinion of course 

Whilst we are very happy with mcglynn at the moment he hasn't actually achieved anything yet that would make clubs in the top flight take notice at the moment . Promotion, cup semi , challenging in the champ might change that of course but I'd think he's here for a while yet hopefully.

10 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

I now qualify for a concession season and asked this year if I could pay the full price with the balance going to the club. They were happy with me paying the extra but wanted that to go to the scheme that was running at the time which allowed less fortunate folk to go to a game.

I'd happily pay more for my ST if the balance was going to the FSS and I'd wager that a good few more folk would too.

Is it still 65 for dinosaur concession rates now pension is put back to 66? What proof is required? Do they count wrinkles? I am the dreaded 65 later in the year so was wondering about process. Bus pass covers the travel costs 🤣🤣

49 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Whilst we are very happy with mcglynn at the moment he hasn't actually achieved anything yet that would make clubs in the top flight take notice at the moment . Promotion, cup semi , challenging in the champ might change that of course but I'd think he's here for a while yet hopefully.

The next couple of weeks will define our season. Two cup ties and then our cup game. If we continue our recent form and approach each game with the same application, desire and hard work we won’t be far away. McGlynn is no fool he’s probably saying “WTF” he’ll be here for next season trust me.