The Falkirk FC Thread

21 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Can we give Paul Watson and PJ Morrison minutes please next Saturday. Our current two centre backs, along with our keeper, couldn’t keep hens out a close. 

Unfortunately he's picked his man in Kinnear or he would have brought Morrison back in after the howler at home to Airdrie.

I think yesterday's game showed up a lot of deficiencies in our squad to play the style McGlynn wants us to play.  We need a striker who is adept at playing the lone striker role, with Oliver and Burrell McGlynn is trying to fit square pegs in round holes. We also need centre half's that are comfortable playing out from the back ( and can defend of course)Donaldson hits long diagonal passes out of defence regularly but for every one that finds it's intended recipient far too many don't.

P.S.

I though McGinn was the best performer for us yesterday. 

17 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

The one thing we can all agree on is Matty Wright's been the worst signing of the season, looks like a competition winner. Can give a few a rest on Saturday but I hope we play two upfront to give our strikers a chance to find a bit of chemistry before the playoffs.

I don't see Alloa taking points off Dunfermline on Saturday but hopefully it's enough of a threat to make Airdrie play a full strength side.

I expect Hamilton to at least get a draw against Arbroath and Morton to win against Cove. That would leave Hamilton in the playoffs and Cove relegated.

For Peterhead

Kinnear
Williamson Donaldson Mckay Mccann
Yeats
Nesbitt Lawal McGuffie
Oliver Allan/Burrell

Best 11 for the playoffs

Kinnear
Rowe Donaldson Mckay Mccann
McGinn/Henderson
Morrison Max Kennedy
Oliver Burrell

Wright has been a big disappointment. Having done well enough in the first half of the season at Montrose. ( He's still the only player to score a winning goal against the pars in the league this season ), he should've been a pretty reliable signing being up to speed with this league you would've thought.  He's looked way short though .  If Holt had been here we'd have signed him on a 3 year deal probably.

17 minutes ago, BountyBairn said:

We’re playing in championship playoffs……those are league 1

Sorry I clipped the wrong bit

CINCH CHAMPIONSHIP PLAY-OFFS

Tuesday May 9 or Wednesday May 10
cinch Championship play-off semi-finals, 1st leg
4th in League 1 v 9th in Championship
3rd in League 1 v 2nd in League 1

Saturday May 13
cinch Championship play-off semi-finals, 2nd leg
9th in Championship v 4th in League 1 
2nd in League 1 v 3rd in League 1

Wednesday May 17
cinch Championship play-off final, 1st leg
Lowest-ranked team at home in 1st leg
Live on BBC ALBA, kick-off 7.35pm

Saturday May 20
cinch Championship play-off final, 2nd leg
Highest-ranked team at home in 2nd leg
Live on BBC ALBA, kick-off 5.15pm

Wright, like Allan, has been way too bit-part to even make a real assessment of him. 

His cameos have been poor granted, but Burrell, Oliver and Alegria have all turned in stinkers. The regular opportunities for them to start games has afforded them the opportunity to balance out the stinkers. Not saying I want him to start or to sign him again, I don't. I just think we're maybe a wee bit too hard on him. 

Just now, unused sub said:

I think yesterday's game showed up a lot of deficiencies in our squad to play the style McGlynn wants us to play.  We need a striker who is adept at playing the lone striker role, with Oliver and Burrell McGlynn is trying to fit square pegs in round holes. We also need centre half's that are comfortable playing out from the back ( and can defend of course)Donaldson hits long diagonal passes out of defence regularly but for every one that finds it's intended recipient far too many don't.

P.S.

I though McGinn was the best performer for us yesterday. 

Half the battle is having defenders that understand their limitations instead of thinking their pirlo..

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Wright, like Allan, has been way too bit-part to even make a real assessment of him. 

His cameos have been poor granted, but Burrell, Oliver and Alegria have all turned in stinkers. The regular opportunities for them to start games has afforded them the opportunity to balance out the stinkers. Not saying I want him to start or to sign him again, I don't. I just think we're maybe a wee bit too hard on him. 

It now looks like Allan and Wright were panic signings after Alegria going back to Rangers. Allan in particular, signed for a fee (probably not very much) but then hasn’t got any real game time and doesn’t fit into our style at all. Alegria has turned out to be a big miss, he frustrated the life out of me at times but was big enough and strong enough to play as a lone striker 

20 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

IMO the McGlynn out now shouts just before the playoffs are as bad a call I think I have ever read on here, and that says something. 

14 points off our rivals. 

53% win record in league one. 

Complete collapse of a team since the Dunfermline away game.

He doesn't know, a year in what his best starting 11 is. 

And let's be honest, the football is verging on the shite we saw the last few years.

He's got to get the play offs, but if we don't go up, this year has been a disaster. And as was posted earlier. Yes he'll get you out of the league eventually but I don't see him winning the championship. 

I really don't get the love in for McGlynn, I don't dislike the man, he comes over as very honest and hardworking but for me it's not looking good. 

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Why must it be considered a parody? I gave him my backing as I did Rennie, Sheerin and M&M but lost my trust in them all, as I have done with McGlynn.

We’ve failed to turn up in so many big games and never looked like a solid team all season. The cup run papered over the cracks when we’ve never had an easier run to get to a final. The penalty yesterday was a joke but that was a completely abject performance. One of many this season. 

You don’t have to agree but it’s hardly an outlandish position to maintain. Did you ask the same of anyone who wanted M&M out with 4 games left?

It’s an entirely outlandish position.  The last point you make is fatuous and irrelevant.

Has there been improvement this season?  Demonstrably yes - we’ve finished higher up the league, scored 18 more goals, conceded 17 fewer, notched up at least 20 more points (all in a league with more full time teams than last season), gone further in every cup competition.  A catastrophic fall in our league positions that has been a consistent feature of every season since Houston went and we’ve installed a merry-go-round of inexperienced and/or clueless managers has been stopped.

You want to sack yet another manager and spin the wheel of turd yet again?  Pay out money to replace McGlynn and presumably have another 462 players come through our doors who have never met each other and have no affiliation for the club, because whatever joker we get wants his own team?

Actually, I take it back.  It’s not outlandish.  It’s monumentally fucking idiotic.  It’s an opinion so astronomically massive in its stupidity that it has its own gravitational pull, sucking even light from the universe into its dense ignorance.

I’d wager you pay for a blue tick on Twitter.  

2 hours ago, bairn88 said:

The police/steward search outside the ground was an absolute disgrace btw. In the small queue at 11:35ish and didn’t get in til almost 12. Bet none of their tactics yesterday will be adopted today. 

Bet there's no penalty decision like in our game either 🙈🙉🙊

Guest Caractacus Potts
2 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

It’s an entirely outlandish position.  The last point you make is fatuous and irrelevant.

Has there been improvement this season?  Demonstrably yes - we’ve finished higher up the league, scored 18 more goals, conceded 17 fewer, notched up at least 20 more points (all in a league with more full time teams than last season), gone further in every cup competition.  A catastrophic fall in our league positions that has been a consistent feature of every season since Houston went and we’ve installed a merry-go-round of inexperienced and/or clueless managers has been stopped.

You want to sack yet another manager and spin the wheel of turd yet again?  Pay out money to replace McGlynn and presumably have another 462 players come through our doors who have never met each other and have no affiliation for the club, because whatever joker we get wants his own team?

Actually, I take it back.  It’s not outlandish.  It’s monumentally fucking idiotic.  It’s an opinion so astronomically massive in its stupidity that it has its own gravitational pull, sucking even light from the universe into its dense ignorance.

I’d wager you pay for a blue tick on Twitter.  

Nice to know that differing opinions are entertained on this forum. I’m not being unreasonable in my assertions and I’ll continue to not talk to you in the same manner as you feel acceptable to discuss with myself. 

An improvement on last year is a very low bar to set. This season it has been said many a time how McGlynn has been our best manager in years but as his record is now not any better than M&M, the only fair comparisons are to last season. 

I’m happy with most of the players McGlynn has brought in but there will need to be a fair shift anyway as several players are out of contract and a few loan players will head back to their parent clubs. 

I’m not demanding McGlynn to be sacked but I wouldn’t be unhappy if we brought in someone else. Asking you if you were unhappy about M&M being sacked prior to 4 important games is entirely relevant so can I ask again were you unhappy with that decision and in hindsight do you think it was a bad one?

3 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Nice to know that differing opinions are entertained on this forum. I’m not being unreasonable in my assertions and I’ll continue to not talk to you in the same manner as you feel acceptable to discuss with myself. 

An improvement on last year is a very low bar to set. This season it has been said many a time how McGlynn has been our best manager in years but as his record is now not any better than M&M, the only fair comparisons are to last season. 

I’m happy with most of the players McGlynn has brought in but there will need to be a fair shift anyway as several players are out of contract and a few loan players will head back to their parent clubs. 

I’m not demanding McGlynn to be sacked but I wouldn’t be unhappy if we brought in someone else. Asking you if you were unhappy about M&M being sacked prior to 4 important games is entirely relevant so can I ask again were you unhappy with that decision and in hindsight do you think it was a bad one?

Am I missing something here, isn't it the problem of changing manager's so often that has caused the past shit shows.

3 minutes ago, moanthebairns said:

If that is what is classed as an insult to another these days, I'm so far out the loop. 

Some people might take it as a positive I suppose, mostly Crypto Bros and Elon Musk fanboys.  The common clay of the new West.  You know…morons.

Guest Caractacus Potts
6 minutes ago, Bairn winner said:

Am I missing something here, isn't it the problem of changing manager's so often that has caused the past shit shows.

So we should have stuck with the past managers?

2 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

So we should have stuck with the past managers?

The problem was more than just the managers, the problems were deep rooted in the club. Granted Rennie and M&M were a mistake that shouldn't have even been considered for management.

I think McGlynn is fine for another season. Even if we don't go up I wouldn't punt him though I understand why people feel underwhelmed. 

I'm still not sure we have a style of play really. Or certainly not a good one. This interminable passing between McKay, Kinnear and Donaldson is rancid. I still think we struggle to link back to front. McGinn does a great job but doesn't have the legs he used to, and needs a pal in there.

We're complete dependent on our wingers and Morrison is so hot and cold. When he's in this sort of form we are incredibly predictable. 

I still think we have an excellent chance in the playoffs. I think we'll go up.

Guest Caractacus Potts
4 minutes ago, Bairn winner said:

The problem was more than just the managers, the problems were deep rooted in the club. Granted Rennie and M&M were a mistake that shouldn't have even been considered for management.

Yeh I agree with that and do think that things behind the scenes are a lot better than before. I’ve never said McGlynn was a bad appointment but I’m definitely disappointed with how he’s performed for us. Better recruitment but tactically poor and players that he was credited for coaching the best out of seem to have resorted back to previous performances.