The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

Exactly the point I am making. What has happened - McGlynn needs to explain 

The Dunfermline 2-0 game happened and it petered out, with the cup run perhaps a distraction. 

Players went off the boil for too long then the big games came and it was deer in headlights time.

9 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

But we were better in February than November. 🤷‍♂️There has something happened and McGlynn I hope will be pushed to explain that to the Board. 

This is very true. 

Seemed to me;

-the loss to Dunfermline and the Cup run meant the team just switched off. And you can’t really turn form back on. 
-other teams worked out how to play us and we never really had an answer to that. 

18 minutes ago, Sub Parr said:

I think that’s the biggest question come end of season. Do you go for continuity or try options. I’ve always been on the Team Continuity but this season Airdrie tried a couple of new things- especially at the back and I think it really worked for us. Had we gone into our games with you with players injured or lost to red cards during play, I was a lot more confident of our bench that I would have been- and I think our manager would have been too. 

Big Byrd who I thought had been a nightmare in his brief cameos, came through two games (well 1 game and 75mins as he’d struggled at start of his first game) looking a lot more confident and secure which certainly made me more relaxed. So I’d say I’m now steam Tinker

Airdrie’s board were brave to bring in such a young manager and showed a lot of trust in him when you were having a spell of poor form at the start of the season.

What you are saying is you have a young coach, who has proved this season he can overcome adversity and has also learned to be flexible with his tactics both pre and during games.

Sounds like he’s done very well.

38 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

That would be a good narrative if we'd started really slowly and finished like a train once he got to recruit more.

It's not true though. This is 1000% his squad, he's been massively backed to recruit it and we're worse than we were in January imo.

It feels very much today - and has been building for weeks - like many posters are looking for any negatives to justify sacking the management.

Stats, signings, tactics, interviews etc.

This last few weeks have been disappointing and frustrating but we haven't been good enough. 

We can go through signings 'til the cows come home but many weren't expected to play as much (Lawal, Yeats, Carroll, Burrell) and others were learning the game (Rowe, Wright, Alegria - recalled when he was beginning to make a difference, Meekison - who promptly got injured). 

A lot of ifs, buts and maybes and the squad fell short but to rip it up and start again with no guarantees that it'd work.

Edited by Blame Me

12 hours ago, NUMBER 7 said:

You’re obviously obsessed with us, knowing what we’ve done and not done. I don’t give a fcuk about DAFC, 

You got handed 500 grand during Covid from the Scottish Government the only Full Time teams that didn’t receive this was ourselves and Partick. That has to have benefitted DAFC. or did you hand that to the creditors you shafted  10 years ago with your CVA  zero pence in £. after years of being funded by a crook. 

You got a manager that for a period in time has got a tune out of guys Hughes couldn’t. Your manager is not the messiah and some of the players you mention you’re getting a tune out of  have no sellable value. Maybe next year they will be back to being mediocre again ?  That’s what you get with players at this level. Hughes is also a balloon a probably the main reason you got relegated. 

Airdrie have a guy who scored on Tuesday and has looked ok in two games this week that was a donkey with us. 

There is little reliability or consistency with any players at this level.

what an embarrassment you are mate 😂😂😂

I’ll be honest and say I’m not 100% sure what I want the club to do. Am I angry with how the season finished? Yes. Does it frustrate me that McGlynn struggles to change a game with subs? Absolutely. But ultimately he had us playing very well and at one stage it looked like we may be able to claw back the points to take the title challenge to the end of the season. Now obviously this didn’t happen as our form went off a cliff, however, maybe he is right and he needs this summer window to “make the team his own”. Only time will tell. 

Changing the manager is not guaranteed success either and I’d go as far as to say that McGlynn for all his failures is still the most competent looking manager we’ve appointed in a long time. 

Whatever the BOD decide to do I would accept as I’m on the fence but either way they’ll know both choices are a gamble so hopefully they pick the right one

Honestly looks like the best thing that could have happened to you guys would have been losing early in the Cup. After the game at East End, it was if the players subconsciously thought "league is done, we're defo in the play offs, let's coast and make a big thing of the cup semi final". Sadly it doesn't work like that. I remember the first season we were in League One, Jefferies had us very much the best of the rest after Sevco romped to the league and we rested a few players before the play offs and ended up coasting along with no intensity to our play (apart from the final game of the season v Sevco at home where we played a bunch of kids and kept them to a 1-1 draw). Of course we then struggled and ultimately lost out in the play offs and I do wonder if our laxadasical approach to the end of the season and arrogance that we'd win the play offs easily was partly to blame.

See all this, make his team his own pish get it right in the bin. Five strikers in this year and he only really played two consistently over the course of the season. If he felt there was weaknesses in the squad with the guys he inherited, replace that area. 

He's been given ample funds to get us up. He's pissed it up the wall over the thought of getting to a cup final, in which the run was easier than what we've had in the past to the bells cup. 

Id put money on it, if he's at the helm next season it'll be an ok start, within touching distance of the title. We'll go on a 'run' in the petrofac cup, get to the final destroying any league form and will be expected to feel grateful for it. 

I'm still seething about him claiming beating Hibs in the Mickey mouse stages of the league cup is some how a notable highlight of the year. It's effectively a pre season friendly. 

Edited by moanthebairns

29 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Honestly looks like the best thing that could have happened to you guys would have been losing early in the Cup. After the game at East End, it was if the players subconsciously thought "league is done, we're defo in the play offs, let's coast and make a big thing of the cup semi final". Sadly it doesn't work like that. I remember the first season we were in League One, Jefferies had us very much the best of the rest after Sevco romped to the league and we rested a few players before the play offs and ended up coasting along with no intensity to our play (apart from the final game of the season v Sevco at home where we played a bunch of kids and kept them to a 1-1 draw). Of course we then struggled and ultimately lost out in the play offs and I do wonder if our laxadasical approach to the end of the season and arrogance that we'd win the play offs easily was partly to blame.

On the other side of the coin, when we played a lot of games in 2015/16 to get to the play-off finals, all the games played meant we were a spent force by the end. It’s a difficult act to balance resting players and making sure they’re at it, but that’s the managers job.

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

There is absolutely nothing in McGlynn’s history that says he will turn this around. A serial play off failure, and a man with a pretty poor track record of league wins over the course of an entire season.
The “it’s not yet my squad” is just garbage……it’s one of the last resorts to go for a struggling manager.

Was McPake handed “his squad”? Was McCabe handed “his squad”? No they weren’t, but McGlynn will grasp at it because he knows he is in bother.

McGlynn is guaranteed next season because the BoD don’t want to be seen to have gotten the appointment wrong, and the financials of terminating his contract and replacing him will already have been calculated against what they think they will lose by keeping him. Money matters most.

I don’t think that the message “buy your STs to give John and Paul as much money as possible” is a winner at this point in time.

ST revenue, FSS revenue, Commercial revenue and the club’s own FFF revenue are all going to become a tougher ask in the next year.

If McGlynn gets us to the play offs (because he is staying), then maybe that’s the time for the club to take Caraticus Potts advice.

1 hour ago, ChoppeReid said:

This is very true. 

Seemed to me;

-the loss to Dunfermline and the Cup run meant the team just switched off. And you can’t really turn form back on. 
-other teams worked out how to play us and we never really had an answer to that. 

I think it needs explaining 

8 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

There is absolutely nothing in McGlynn’s history that says he will turn this around. A serial play off failure, and a man with a pretty poor track record of league wins over the course of an entire season.
The “it’s not yet my squad” is just garbage……it’s one of the last resorts to go for a struggling manager.

Was McPake handed “his squad”? Was McCabe handed “his squad”? No they weren’t, but McGlynn will grasp at it because he knows he is in bother.

McGlynn is guaranteed next season because the BoD don’t want to be seen to have gotten the appointment wrong, and the financials of terminating his contract and replacing him will already have been calculated against what they think they will lose by keeping him. Money matters most.

I don’t think that the message “buy your STs to give John and Paul as much money as possible” is a winner at this point in time.

ST revenue, FSS revenue, Commercial revenue and the club’s own FFF revenue are all going to become a tougher ask in the next year.

If McGlynn gets us to the play offs (because he is staying), then maybe that’s the time for the club to take Caraticus Potts advice.

Your solution is who? 

Is there anything the BOD would have learned following this weeks humiliation and subsequent failure to get promotion ? 
Is there anything the manager has learned ?

For me any player that signs either an extension or newly signed is issued with a one year deal, and that should be reviewed with the option of a second year, following certain criteria being met. That criteria must involve the BOD as the manager cannot be allowed to have all the responsibilities & accountability. Yes he has full responsibility for identifying and bringing in players, but albeit sanctioned from upstairs.

13 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

If I was on the board I'd also be asking McGlynn to explain why we paid money for Jordan Allan in January and then never bothered giving him a run in the team.

I honestly think it was the definition of a panic signing. We needed a striker (or two) after Alegria left; he looked around, saw Allan had scored 10 league goals in an absolutely pish Clyde team and thought “let’s go for him”. I don’t think there was any consideration as to how he’d fit into the team or McGlynn’s tactics.

I would assume when discussing the budget for the coming season, the board would be prudent enough to seek an explanation of what McGlynns vision is for what he intends to build, and how he intends to avoid the shortcomings that led us to today. That would presumably include covering why we have Jordan Allan.....

I mean I don't expect the BoD to try and give him lessons on football management but his employers are responsible for keeping or sacking him, so as much as il accept their call on that, (somewhat grudgingly and with a pretty low credit bank if its keep) I hope it isn't automatic with no scrutiny. 

I don't think you need to be some sort if overbearing, meddling board to seek answers on Allan, on how we avoid losing focus and intensity again, on how we become a lot tougher through the spine of the team, and on how we approach getting results against near contenders consistently. 

2 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I honestly think it was the definition of a panic signing. We needed a striker (or two) after Alegria left; he looked around, saw Allan had scored 10 league goals in an absolutely pish Clyde team and thought “let’s go for him”. I don’t think there was any consideration as to how he’d fit into the team or McGlynn’s tactics.

Mcglynn doesn't make panic signings I can assure you of that. The amount of scouting and data collection before he signs a player is huge. He doesn't just look at goals and think let's take him. That's nonsense. As mentioned previously on here his attention to detail is over the top probably at times. I'm still of the opinion that he and wright were the favoured front two. Wright had a decent record in the first half of the season but has been so disappointing that that front two never materialised.  I still think Allen will do a decent job for us next season . There have been setbacks in recruitment too. Number of players we wanted in the summer went elsewhere and then losing allegria was a blow at that time. Meekinson getting injured straight away meant another shift to bring in max.  That's still no excuse for the piss poor performances recently but we've certainly not brought in any panic buys.

the more i think about whether to keep the mcglynn or not, i find myself always leaning to the latter. Even if mcglynn brings in the players we want, i feel his stubbornness to change tactics (even just having a plan B in the first case) will forever be his (and our) downfall. All it takes is for one game to knock the team's confidence and mcglynn will still play the same tactics that only a team in confidence can pull off. 

There is no way that mcglynn will change his ways (i pray he does however) as it has been made abundantly clear that he has one tactic, one formation, in mind that he expects the players to play. And as we seen, when teams figure us out, as they have done every season after the first run of games, we crumble.

So i feel that no matter how good his team is (unless it goes unbeaten) will still fail to get us up. Unless of course we bring in a manager who is adaptable, has at least a few tactics for different scenarios, or mcglynn changes his ways. People saying maybury and kerr, and it could be a good fit as i believe they've played a few solid formations over the season. However, i'm hopeful to be proven wrong!

Edit:

i'm also aware of the costs in binning mcglynn and bringing a new manager. Hence why i'm hopeful mcglynn changes his stubbornness

Edited by Mon_Eh_Bairns2018