The Falkirk FC Thread

3. We didn’t even get the second prize. Half decent run didn’t disguise we’ve got a core of charlatans/shite bags. Didn’t lay a finger on our noisy neighbours and Airdrie. The last two weeks were humiliating to every single fan. Followed by a car crash interview that should have seen the manager walk, (so far no word from BOD) and if not the BOD should have released. Desperately need to sign at least 6/7 players that are better than what’s still here.

4.5-5. 

Some decent recruitment. Improvement on our worst ever season. Loss of Alegria was a blow. Unfortunately no title challenge, didn’t beat Dunfermline once. We made a habit of bottling big games. Losing 7 points to Kelty. After the EEP defeat we fell to bits and never recovered culminating in an humiliation in the first P/O game and what looked like a training game in P/O 2nd leg. 

The less said about his interviews after the P/O the better.  Not confident in him going forward. 

Edited by Ryan-FFC

39 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Fantastic to see and hopefully the first of many. 

I couldn’t agree more

I was speaking to a work colleague last week who is from down south and is an Aldershot fan. When I mentioned Falkirk he said what he knew about us was our great youth set up. He couldn’t believe it when I told him the story of how we had got shot of it. Hopefully these 4 young lads are the first of many and the best of luck to them.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

15 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

A reserve side would not have been my priority next season but good luck to these guys 

They're on modern apprenticeships and while I don't know what that pays I don't imagine it's far away from the minimum wage. What we're spending compared to what we might get back in terms of first team appearances or transfer fees makes the whole thing a no-brainer IMO. 

Early to mid season it would have been far higher, actually enjoyed my football for the first time in years.

Obviously after the second visit to Dunfermline the backside fell out of the season and we were right back to the garbage served up in recent seasons.

Why was this?

Did something happen behind the scenes?

The scandal that was the playoffs was unacceptable and I sincerely hope that very hard questions have been asked of the manager by the BoD and CEO.

McGlynn’s interview after the first leg humiliation was on a par with Prince Andrew on Newsnight, equal parts ridiculous and shameful, completely lacking in self awareness.

Absolutely no credit in the bank for him any more.

2 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

They're on modern apprenticeships and while I don't know what that pays I don't imagine it's far away from the minimum wage. What we're spending compared to what we might get back in terms of first team appearances or transfer fees makes the whole thing a no-brainer IMO. 

Agree with this, can't be costing us much 

On another subject, you took any photos of the new O'Neils kit yet? Lol 

I'd give the season as a whole a 5. If you leave aside the playoff debacle it would be higher as I have enjoyed a lot of games this season, but the whole seasons score gets dragged down by that and tbh, it could easy drag it further. 

As said above I'm not going to dwell my brainspace on McGlynn out for weeks on end, but the credit bank is empty and I need to see immediate response to that game, which was seismic.  

2 minutes ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

On another subject, you took any photos of the new O'Neils kit yet? Lol 

No, it won't be launched until the first team return so probably the second last week in June. 

I think the training wear goes live on 1st June as the Puma deal expires 31st May. 

10 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I’m all for restarting youth development as long as it is done in a sustainable way that supports the first team rather than detracts from it.

The bod have been great at resisting calls to restart the academy overnight so I’m sure they’ll have done it sensibly.

9 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I’m all for restarting youth development as long as it is done in a sustainable way that supports the first team rather than detracts from it.

The bod have been great at resisting calls to restart the academy overnight so I’m sure they’ll have done it sensibly.

From what I can see, that appears to be the case. The website article infers that most of the money to sign those four came from two commercial activities so presumably it has no impact on the first team budget. I spoke to Tony Begg last night and he said he'll be taking the team, so there's no additional coaching costs involved. I'm guessing if he needs support staff for Tuesday matchdays like a physio or assistant then existing academy people will help out. 

One other benefit that hasn't been mentioned is first team fringe players. Paul Watson did an interview at the end of the season on FFCTV in which he expressed his frustration at not being able to recover match sharpness because there were no games for him to play in. I think there were about five closed-door friendlies over the course of the season and none in the last couple of months. The reserve team will play around 20 games next season, so there will be more opportunities for first teamers not involved on a Saturday to get gametime. Everything appears to be positive. 

Oh, and I've watched a lot of youth games involving the four players. They're all decent and have a chance of making it. 

8 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

High hopes for Honeyman I heard. 

Looked the standout in the very first academy game back we had. Young player of the year at the shire last season and played something like 30 games which is incredible for a 16/17 year old. 

Wouldn’t rate the season any higher than a 3.

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to fully forgive that mob for the 5 goals in the opening 40 minutes at Airdrie tbh. 

The most humiliating experience I’ve ever had watching Falkirk.

9 minutes ago, JinkyBairn said:

The most humiliating experience I’ve ever had watching Falkirk.

…so far 🤦🏼‍♂️😂

In all seriousness though, I agree, I’m not ready to move on from that opening 45 at Airdrie yet. Fucking horrible & they ALL had a hand in putting a cut into us that night. Those on the bench included. 

That’s the sticking point for me, even after I’ve accepted McGlynn is staying. I’ve been angry at Falkirk teams before; I’ve been raging at some absolutely spineless shite over a number of years - but I’ve never quite felt the embarrassment of that first half at Airdrie. A hell of a lot to select from, obviously, but it’s a major contender for my worst experience as a Falkirk fan. That’s a big deal.

The club, the management, nor the players have not apologised for it yet, by the way. As I said earlier, I’m over it (aside from some mental scarring…), but some recognition of it is necessary. 

Edited by 18BAIRN76

4 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

That’s the sticking point for me, even after I’ve accepted McGlynn is staying. I’ve been angry at Falkirk teams before; I’ve been raging at some absolutely spineless shite over a number of years - but I’ve never quite felt the embarrassment of that first half at Airdrie. A hell of a lot to select from, obviously, but it’s a major contender for my worst experience as a Falkirk fan. That’s a big deal.

The club, the management, nor the players have apologised for it yet, by the way. As I said earlier, I’m over it, but at least some recognition of it is necessary. 

Stephen McGinn apologised post match, for whatever you think that's worth. 

His first instinct was apology so I guess that says something for him to say the words into a camera so soon after, when the manger couldn't bring himself to. 

But ultimately, an apology means significantly less than seeing work being done to address it. 

I've not accepted McGlynn is staying the p***k can do one for me but as you say there was no apology nor has there been anything from the board to say he's our clown we are keeping him. It's alright for Pingu to bleat on and on about "phase 2" how about the club actually confirming it, or are they shitting it aswell.