The Falkirk FC Thread

I don't want to be overly pessimistic given its only 1st June and there is loads of time to make new signings, but that's Oliver, Maciver, Agyeman and Allan signed up as strikers in our squad, and we know McGlynn's favoured formation involves one up front. I don't see that as a complement of strikers that wins you the league. More than happy to be proven wrong.

Its pretty clear that Oliver and McGinn extensions were in their control rather than ours.  

I assume their contract clauses meant automatic extension if they wanted it so probably wasn't in our control to 'bin' them.

Just now, Rob1885 said:

Brad Spencer and Jamie Macdonald would ensure a return to the championship, I've no doubt about it.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Spencer go to QP given he's Glasgow based and they are big on signing players based on stats as per the below.

IMG_7662.png

7 minutes ago, MulsonFFC said:

Its pretty clear that Oliver and McGinn extensions were in their control rather than ours.  

I assume their contract clauses meant automatic extension if they wanted it so probably wasn't in our control to 'bin' them.

When has a player ever had a contract with a clause which meant they decided to extend it

No surprise whatsoever at this news. The list of players retained gives the squad very much a same old, same old feeling when I think a significant refresh was required after the absolute disaster that was the conclusion to last season. 

Squad has very little spine to it - in any sense. Can only hope that any further additions are guaranteed starters every week, we're already oversubscribed with filler/back-up/squad player types.

2 minutes ago, AGPar said:

No surprise whatsoever at this news. The list of players retained gives the squad very much a same old, same old feeling when I think a significant refresh was required after the absolute disaster that was the conclusion to last season. 

Squad has very little spine to it - in any sense. Can only hope that any further additions are guaranteed starters every week, we're already oversubscribed with filler/back-up/squad player types.

I agree that we have to hope any new signings coming in are starters.

9 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

When has a player ever had a contract with a clause which meant they decided to extend it

Probably if they have fulfilled the clause I.e. Appearances etc and the club says well you have activated your extension due to your contract and we are obliged to ask if you want to take it up? 

Happened with baird and he said no. 

Guest Ecosse83

Any new signings are going to have to be a real class above what we already have to be a good side next year. 

I actually can’t believe Oliver has been extended when they could have just released him for nothing and signed better!  

5 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Probably if they have fulfilled the clause I.e. Appearances etc and the club says well you have activated your extension due to your contract and we are obliged to ask if you want to take it up? 

Happened with baird and he said no. 

Stevie Lovell took us to court for this exact reason. He'd played the amount of games to take up an extension but fucked off after Eddie May decided to go with the scorched earth approach to football management.

Problem was Lovell was supposed to have taken up the option of an extension while he was still under contract. Instead he tried to claim we owed him a contract much later after he'd fallen out with May.

I heard the clauses were pretty open on both sides to be honest. If the club and player come to an agreement then you get a new deal otherwise you move on. Not sure what's different then really from it just being a one year deal originally to be honest.  Mcginn hopefully will have a partner who can do the donkey work for him and won't need to play every game this season which will mean he won't be goosed by Xmas. Oliver gives you options but he better not be starting again this season. The post bums him up a bit but then I don't suppose they were going to say anything else.

8 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

With 14 signed, we’re looking at possibly only 6 more signings (2 of whom are likely to be goalkeepers) so every one must be a starter for me.

That is worrying looking at the list of signed players.

21 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Relatively common. Happened to us with John Baird after playing a certain number of games he automatically triggered a one year extension of which he had the option to take or leave, the decision is then taken out the clubs hands. 

Oliver is OK as a squad player and can be used quite effectively in certain matches. I’ve no problem with him sticking around for another year in that context.

If the plan is to use him in the same way as we did for the majority of last season then we’re in bother.

25 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

A lot more than you think, clauses added based on appearances/goals etc can trigger a years extension offer.  Doesn't need to be accepted.

Id hope McGinn isn't a guaranteed starter, I don't think he controls games or has the legs to provide cover for the defence. I thought he was regularly a few yards off the pace when defending around our box too. He's certainly a decent option but I don't think he's someone to build the midfield around.

I don't mind Oliver either but if our 3 strikers are Oliver, McIver and Allan then I think we're in a bit of trouble.

Agreed that we need to be signing guaranteed starters now as we've got enough squad options. 

28 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Pretty common when players reach a threshold of games played in one season. There’s examples where good players are dropped from squad to stop such a trigger. 

1 minute ago, MulsonFFC said:

A lot more than you think, clauses added based on appearances/goals etc can trigger a years extension offer.  Doesn't need to be accepted.

I see what you mean, OP was worded as if they could just decided if they stayed or not, not based on goals/apps. However I do think McGlynn wanted to keep them