The Falkirk FC Thread

3 hours ago, StuartA said:

That would make Annan, Montrose or Cove overnighters. 🙂

Your car is in worse nick than I thought.

Montrose 5:30pm kick off. Game finished by 7:30pm Montrose to Bairnville (Cadbury take more……great name for a chocolate bar) drive is 1h 30m. Home by around 9pm……..but of course, your Hillman Avenger might take an hour or three longer.

You might have a case for Annan and Cove as they are both mega 2 hour drives. 😬

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Loans aren't included in the budget?

Just presuming any loans we get in won’t require a contribution from us else it wouldn’t make too much sense to hold back money at the hope of getting a good loanee vs a signed player. 

5 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Just presuming any loans we get in won’t require a contribution from us else it wouldn’t make too much sense to hold back money at the hope of getting a good loanee vs a signed player. 

At our level loan signings are a crucial part of squad building. They're also a department where I trust McGlynn. I don't think loans should be underestimated. For me it's no exaggeration to say shrewd loans can win us the league. 

38 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

In lower league world, the percentage contribution from the clubs with precious little cash tend to be a small fraction of the salary of a signed player of equitable quality.

In theory, (depending on negotiations) three loan players will typically cost less than one signed player…….so there can be budget remnants sufficient for a couple of loan players, but not enough to cover a further signing.

The clearest message is that Finn Yeats is our RB, and we won’t be signing a recognised RB, although we might try to borrow one from somewhere. That McGlynn hasn’t held back funds in the budget to sign a RB kind of says he hasn’t seen it as a priority signing.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

At our level loan signings are a crucial part of squad building. They're also a department where I trust McGlynn. I don't think loans should be underestimated. For me it's no exaggeration to say shrewd loans can win us the league. 

Agree with that and do expect some loans to be in, whether that costs much I have no idea. Normally we don’t tend to see the loans till near the end of the transfer window though so be interesting to see who he brings in. 

39 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

In lower league world, the percentage contribution from the clubs with precious little cash tend to be a small fraction of the salary of a signed player of equitable quality.

In theory, (depending on negotiations) three loan players will typically cost less than one signed player…….so there can be budget remnants sufficient for a couple of loan players, but not enough to cover a further signing.

I have no idea to be honest. Just going by what McGlynn said regarding the budget being gone and not being able to bring in any more players. I therefore just presumed that any loan player would therefore be at us to gain experience and not require a contribution from us. Did we pay much for the loan players last season? 

On listening to McGlynn again he was stating that in every position we have choices apart from right back. He said Yeats can play there and also in midfield. Reading between the lines i think he has a plan ( a Baldrick cunning plan ) to fix this probably in the loan market. He would not have said as much about it if he thought it was a major issue

3 hours ago, Bairn winner said:

Would be astonished if a right back wasn't still to come in, surely that position would have been a priority.

He knew right back was a priority but it's not really as simple as saying 'why didn't he sign one then?', I'd imagine we had offers in for right back's but they may have decided to go elsewhere or timing wise McGlynn may have had to make a decision on whether to sign Miller, Spencer and Lang instead on slightly higher wages with the intention of eventually getting a right back later in the window on loan. Blaine Rowe still doesn't seem to have a club but given the rumour of him and Morrison not getting on I doubt we'll get him.

4 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Thats pretty unlikely in my experience. A loan player is likely cheaper than he would be to sign but not by as much as you're suggesting. They'll be close to a first team wage if they are any good. And the only way you might get one for buttons / free is if you guarantee him starts. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Guest Back Post Misses
5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Thats pretty unlikely in my experience. A loan player is likely cheaper than he would be to sign but not by as much as you're suggesting. They'll be close to a first team wage if they are any good. And the only way you might get one for buttons / free is if you guarantee him starts. 

Great to hear how clued up on Falkirk’s loan deal policy and what we will pay and what we will agree to 

Guest Back Post Misses
8 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

If McGlynn thought Yeats could be our starting RB then I doubt he would have played an unfit Williamson there in the playoffs. I like Yeats tbh but I preferred him in midfield last season.

One thing he does have is the energy to play the role. I would prefer one in but happy to see how he goes in the LC games. Yeats was carrying an injury before the Airdrie game he picked up at Peterhead 

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

One thing he does have is the energy to play the role. I would prefer one in but happy to see how he goes in the LC games. Yeats was carrying an injury before the Airdrie game he picked up at Peterhead 

I’m keen to get a right back in tbh. I like Yeats but his best position is midfield. I also don’t want to see McKay play there again.