The Falkirk FC Thread

38 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

I seem to remember being about to go into a season without a recognised striker at all.  Then at the last pre-season game, in stepped Farid.

Most clubs including ourselves always end up with one or two in the door last minute, yes it would be nice to have the finalised squad before pre season ends but it almost never happens. They’ll be comings and goings before the transfer window closes. It’s nothing new. 

44 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

I acknowledge our deficiencies but I think we’ll be good enough to win the league. Am I the only one?

We should have been good enough to win it last season with the budget afforded to McGlynn and yet we were absolutely nowhere near it. I don't see this season being any different with a lesser budget and the same guy in charge. 

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Guessing you don’t fancy our chances much mate ?

Just frustrated that we've seemingly used up our budget and not at all convinced by the squad or manager as things stand.  

I don't subscribe to the view that a lot of the players who consistently let us down last year will somehow be much better this season and that blind hope around things like Finn Yeats turning into Luke Leahy is a good position to be in.  

12 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

You'll win the league by about 6 points I reckon. Queens, Hamilton and Cove (maybe Montrose) to round out the top four.

Just going through the league 1 threads the past while and I'm seeing Alloa being very underrated by a lot of people. They've made a couple of very good signings I would be surprised if they don't finish in the playoffs. 

16 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

We should have been good enough to win it last season with the budget afforded to McGlynn and yet we were absolutely nowhere near it. I don't see this season being any different with a lesser budget and the same guy in charge. 

Do you never get tired of spouting pish?

5 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Just frustrated that we've seemingly used up our budget and not at all convinced by the squad or manager as things stand.  

I don't subscribe to the view that a lot of the players who consistently let us down last year will somehow be much better this season and that blind hope around things like Finn Yeats turning into Luke Leahy is a good position to be in.  

This. We’ve brought in seven new signings and arguably not one is better than the failures of last season(s).

Failure to bring in a RB is wrong and don’t buy this shite the manager has been trying but for reasons unknown he’s not quite captured anyone. Maybe the scouting system outside the thirty mile central belt who McGlynns likes to work within should get a finger out their arse(s).

Budget is now burst as with McGlynns interview, unless we can shift some of the shite still here we go with the majority of squad that capitulated at the play offs. 

2 hours ago, Blame Me said:

A fair summary but let's criticise him on the outcomes not on perceptions.

His track record colours our perceptions, that is why some of us are so concerned about his second season with us. Ultimately he f*cked up last year, whether he improved us (on a disastrous season before) or not. We are still in League 1 because of him.

Personally think Spencer & Lang are better than those who filled those positions last season. We are still short imho so needs everyone we do have on our A game each week in the league. I stand by my comments on the last podcast that the only team who will stop us winning the league are ourselves. 

Thst said, we will have comings and going’s I think between now & the end of August. Let’s not forget our LC group stage performance last summer enabled an extra £75k non budgeted income that was used. 

1 hour ago, latapythelegend said:

Farid played and scored in the very first pre-season friendly that season.

He did, the game v Alloa. We then went up north and played a few games, he wasn`t with the team but returned to play the last two friendlies v Preston & Hibs.

3 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I don’t think I’m one of the more negative posters on here and some of the negativity I read is brutal, I also generally enjoy the banter on here.

What I would say is that I think twice about posting anything that could be seen to be negative in the slightest towards McGlynn. Whilst he’s nowhere near the worst manager we’ve had (we’ve had that debate), he’s nowhere near any of the best either (we’ve had that debate too) and I think there are times when constructive criticism of him should be fine. 

I suspect there are quite a few posters who would be far more questioning of the performance of the manager if he had been appointed by, and was working under, any of the myriad hopeless regimes which preceded the current one.

They equate criticism of the manager to mean criticism of those in the boardroom, hence the ultra-defensiveness we now see from one or two who. not so long ago, were amongst the most consistent and vocal critics of all aspects of the club. The change is extremely noticeable.

59 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

His track record colours our perceptions, that is why some of us are so concerned about his second season with us. Ultimately he f*cked up last year, whether he improved us (on a disastrous season before) or not. We are still in League 1 because of him.

Comfortably the best points average and most discernible play style since Peter Houston, coming off the back of 5/6 years of utter squad turmoil and worsening each year. Yes we were poor at the end, but we were comfortably better than the year before.

We‘ll see if it turns out well this year, but wanting to change manager and a large chunk of the squad again after the last couple of years is nothing short of insanity in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

A few colleagues who support the teams they’ve came from. 

And I bet you were giving equally fair reviews to our players in recent years. No way are people just listening to their mates over pints and coming out with strong opinions rather than giving those folk a couple of games.