The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, PedroMoutinho said:

So you think Nesbitt has agreed a contract extension on squad player wages of say £500 a week when he was offered more than we was on at Morton to come to us in the first place and there was alleged championship interest?

I've no idea, I don't know how much players earn, how do you?

We're a wee bit short in squad numbers as it stands so I'm happy enough to have Nesbitt as an option and it may just be possible that he saw the 2 year deal on lower wages as a good choice because he wanted the security. Maybe he likes working for McGlynn, maybe he feels that he has a contribution to make here based on his stats from last season, maybe he likes looking at the kelpies every day when he drives to work?

3 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

We're a wee bit short in squad numbers as it stands so I'm happy enough to have Nesbitt as an option and it may just be possible that he saw the 2 year deal on lower wages as a good choice because he wanted the security. Maybe he likes working for McGlynn, maybe he feels that he has a contribution to make here based on his stats from last season, maybe he likes looking at the kelpies every day when he drives to work?

So a player who started virtually every game he was available last season is all of a sudden going to agree to take a pay cut and become a squad player? Highly unlikely in my view 

8 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

So a player who started virtually every game he was available last season is all of a sudden going to agree to take a pay cut and become a squad player? Highly unlikely in my view 

I didn't mean he would take a wage cut, I meant that possibly he would have taken the two year deal on the same money for security rather than try his luck elsewhere.

V sorry if I confused you.

13 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I'm going to go two-for-two here and suggest that players signing extended deals isn't the negative it's made out to be. Unhappy, disinterested players don't tend to be wanted or stick around if they're not keen regardless of money on offer.

2 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

I'm going to go two-for-two here and suggest that players signing extended deals isn't the negative it's made out to be. Unhappy, disinterested players don't tend to be wanted or stick around if they're not keen regardless of money on offer.

Extended deals for bang average players issued under Holt and McGlynn is one of the major issues we’ve had over the last number of years and a big reason why the budget is now gone.

21 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Quite enjoyed that Mcglynn interview 

Aye, me too. I thought he was a bit more upbeat than recent interviews would suggest.

He did say that the injuries that have been picked up were toward the end of the week too, so hopefully it's not down to Lang's knock from Saturday. He did say they were key players though which is worrying.

Just now, PedroMoutinho said:

Extended deals for bang average players issued under Holt and McGlynn is one of the major issues we’ve had over the last number of years and a big reason why the budget is now gone.

So, you'd have spent the budget on 'better' players. Squad's small enough IMO.

16 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Exactly.  Not sure why this is difficult to understand.  

I've gone full circle on this over the last few years from supporting the early Sheerin team and berating folk for negativity at that time but we're in our 5th season in League 1 so its getting hard to stay upbeat and agree when posters tell us it's ok to keep last years failures as 'squad players' (when we know Oliver and Nesbitt etc will play most weeks) instead of bringing in better.  

The RB chat has been done to death.  My view is McGlynn thought the boards budget would be extended to cover one or two more after Lang and Spencer used up a big chunk.  I'd have been far happier to have had a RB for the first league match than not. 

As for players on long contracts sticking around when not wanted. Brad McKay.  

I like everyone else will be there on Saturday hoping for a strong start and if we win and are playing well I'll back McGlynn to the hilt but last season gives me no confidence he'll turn it round.  Hope I'm wrong!  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

7 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I've gone full circle on this over the last few years from supporting the early Sheerin team and berating folk for negativity at that time but we're in our 5th season in League 1 so its getting hard to stay upbeat and agree when posters tell us it's ok to keep last years failures as 'squad players' (when we know Oliver and Nesbitt etc will play most weeks) instead of bringing in better.  

Couldn’t have put it better. I sincerely posted about the first four games in real hope we’ve turned the corner. We”ll soon know 

8 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Exactly.  Not sure why this is difficult to understand.  

The RB chat has been done to death.  My view is McGlynn thought the boards budget would be extended to cover one or two more after Lang and Spencer used up a big chunk.  I'd have been far happier to have had a RB for the first league match than not. 

As for players on long contracts sticking around when not wanted. Brad McKay.  

I like everyone else will be there on Saturday hoping for a strong start and if we win and are playing well I'll back McGlynn to the hilt but last season gives me no confidence he'll turn it round.  Hope I'm wrong!  

I think you’ve probably summed up what most people are thinking. I’m backing Mcglynn, but like yourself I’m not 100% confident. If he lines up with McGinn and Oliver I genuinely might cry tho. 

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Have we actually paid any of that back yet? Didn’t think it started for a month or three.

If the club were really looking for a £390,000 payment per season from FSS, then factoring in say a further £12,000 loan repayment, plus (total guess) £20,000 PayPal charges, £390,000 would become £420,000…….£14 a month from 2,500 people……..or near enough £49 a month from the existing 720.

Government loan doesn’t start getting repaid till August next year and to my knowledge the FSS is currently contributing £105k per year till then and after that point I think it’s £17k or so to repay the loan each year. 

The numbers in the statement are therefore not entirely accurate. Also slightly misleading to give equal billing to FSS and FF as jointly contributing £80k as I’m pretty sure that over 98% is from FSS. 

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

Aye, me too. I thought he was a bit more upbeat than recent interviews would suggest.

He did say that the injuries that have been picked up were toward the end of the week too, so hopefully it's not down to Lang's knock from Saturday. He did say they were key players though which is worrying.

I’m hoping it’s “2 key players” in McGlynn’s eyes rather than other peoples…ie Oliver & McGinn and not Lang & Spencer. 

4 hours ago, Blame Me said:

Not many of the posters who criticise McGlynn have countenanced the possibility that had we waited for said RB, of the desired quality, we might have missed out on any of the players we did sign.

We can rhyme off names and reasons why we don't have a recognised RB but taken at face value McGlynn said he chose quality over quantity. 

If said quality RB only becomes available this coming Saturday morning should we have overlooked everyone else and an entire pre-season to ensure we had the budget for them!

Just a thought.

If said quality rb becomes available this coming Saturday morning there isn’t any budget to sign him!! There’s no budget to sign anyone apparently. 

I personally don’t disagree with any of this summers’ signings, it’s more the likes of Oliver, Mackie and Allan(due to him not really suiting the managers tactics) I’d rather have a right back instead of. Add McKay from the non Mcglynn signings too.

5 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

We definitely need a RB, although young Finn has been fine so far, however, if we had done we would still have needed to sign someone for the Miller role, someone who presumably would be cheaper and not as good.

Don't see your point re Allan really. You're saying that he shouldn't have signed Allan, who he wanted to sign but should have waited to sign another striker that he wanted to sign?? 

Also 'some' of Nesbitt's wages would have been unlikely to sign anyone that we could see as a starter. He's a squad player and we need a squad.

I believe contract extensions are normally triggered on number of games played. Oliver is a decent squad player at this level IMO and most of us were happy to offer McGinn any kind of extension that he wanted when he signed.

As things stand the lack of a natural RB hasn't cost us anything in terms of goals lost I don't think with the blunders coming from Lang and Long so, as you say, time will tell if it costs us or not and, hopefully we can still get a RB on loan.

I’ve been away from this forum over the close season my gut feeling from the few games I’ve seen is we are about the same as last year and it’s 50/50 whether we will go up or not.( depends on how shit the completion are ) The one thing that surprises me not only the absence of a right back but the plaudits given to Finn as a stand in . I get it that he’s still young but IMO he’s not yet good enough to play first team football & certainly not at RB . We need to dip into the loan market soon and get someone with an engine who can beat a man and put in a cross.

The wee small hours, and I am hearing Pablo Robertson has resigned from the FSS. Pablo has been there from the very start, and his resignation doesn’t appear to have been a pre-planned, pre-communicated event.

Not good news.