The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Van_damage said:

I did wonder if it would get many putting their names forward as we’ve only had 3 people nominate themselves on the last 3 occasions and all have now served or are still serving on the board. 

Maybe needs to be more detail about exactly what is expected of the candidate as one of the last sets of criteria was to be able to put in 20 hours a week outside of match days. Does seem like a lot of hours to ask someone to give up and will no doubt limit the amount of fans that are able to commit to that. 

I'd love to be involved in some capacity but that 20 hours is a huge barrier for anyone working full-time, especially if they have a family too.

On 27/08/2023 at 13:49, Bairn winner said:

Just enjoy when things are going well , were scoring goals and winning. We've had enough shite to moan about the last 5 years.

You seem to have got your act together. You have a good manager who improved the team last year and seems to have improved again this year . You might have a shout of getting promoted this year .

56 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

The more games I see Yeats at right back the more I'm not bothered about us signing one.

Has anyone ever got to the bottom of whether it's pronounced Yates or Yeets?

The lad is doing reasonably well but is not a full back.

A decent right back would strengthen the team and free up Yeats for more suitable roles.

40 minutes ago, Its not only a game said:

You seem to have got your act together. You have a good manager who improved the team last year and seems to have improved again this year . You might have a shout of getting promoted this year .

With respect, any year when Falkirk are not in with a shout of promotion from the third tier is a year of complete failure. 

Very positive and enjoyable start so far, let's see what happens. Squad depth is my massive concern. 

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

The lad is doing reasonably well but is not a full back.

A decent right back would strengthen the team and free up Yeats for more suitable roles.

Bring in a right back and he won't play it's as simple as that. He's not going to start regularly in our current midfield . I'd rather see him continue to improve as a right back playing every week . I don't see anything that says to me he couldn't turn into an excellent full back. At the end of the day yogi Hughes wasn't a centrehalf but he did ok there did he not?

Edited by Shodwall cat

22 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Bring in a right back and he won't play it's as simple as that. He's not going to start regularly in our current midfield . I'd rather see him continue to improve as a right back playing every week . I don't see anything that says to me he couldn't turn into an excellent full back. At the end of the day yogi Hughes wasn't a centrehalf but he did ok there did he not?

I would rather see Yeats in midfield but you are right. Darren Barr more recently was a right back turned centre half for us and done a great job. Luke Leahy another who went from a centre midfielder to an amazing left back. 

9 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

I would rather see Yeats in midfield but you are right. Darren Barr more recently was a right back turned centre half for us and done a great job. Luke Leahy another who went from a centre midfielder to an amazing left back. 

A loan right back comes in and plays for a year then we're back to the same situation again unfortunately.  Yeats plays and by the end of the season we could well have a very good right back. If he was struggling then different story but to me he's done fine. People tend to be over critical of him for me simply because he wasn't a right back to start with.  Concern though is if he gets injured and Mackay leaves who plays right back.

22 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

A loan right back comes in and plays for a year then we're back to the same situation again unfortunately.  Yeats plays and by the end of the season we could well have a very good right back. If he was struggling then different story but to me he's done fine. People tend to be over critical of him for me simply because he wasn't a right back to start with.  Concern though is if he gets injured and Mackay leaves who plays right back.

I think we need cover in both the midfield and RB. A loanee RB does that. Its by far the most sensible way to add to the squad atm. For all we're thin, RB is the standout problem position for a single injury or loss of form being a disaster. I agree with you on developing Finn Yeats, but the fact remains he is too exposed atm

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think we need cover in both the midfield and RB. A loanee RB does that. Its by far the most sensible way to add to the squad atm. For all we're thin, RB is the standout problem position for a single injury or loss of form being a disaster. I agree with you on developing Finn Yeats, but the fact remains he is too exposed atm

Agreed fully. Loan RB solves a whack of squad problems and he might be a better RB than Yeats anyway. No. 1 priority if there is any budget left - even just til January 

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

Problem with this is the very tight squad we are running with this season.

We may have a settled midfield at the moment but injuries, suspensions and loss of form will necessitate change.

Yeats would feature fairly regularly away from the right back role and would of course offer cover for right back.

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

I just don't think Yeats will improve to the levels of the mentioned Hughes and Leahy. I don't think he has the attributes in his game to be anything other than decent cover. 

I said afore a ball was kicked we can get away with Yeats at right back and I'm still of this opinion but I don't think we would get away with it a league up.

The year thing mentioned shouldn't be a thing also, we will have no goalkeeper and half our starting 11 out of contract next year

2 hours ago, Van_damage said:

Darren Barr actually started as a winger in the youth development set up.  Leahy played as a striker his first few games for us, then moved to left back.  Seems he's now playing in midfield for Wycombe - a jack of all trades clearly.

20 minutes ago, MrDust said:

I just don't think Yeats will improve to the levels of the mentioned Hughes and Leahy. I don't think he has the attributes in his game to be anything other than decent cover. 

I said afore a ball was kicked we can get away with Yeats at right back and I'm still of this opinion but I don't think we would get away with it a league up.

The year thing mentioned shouldn't be a thing also, we will have no goalkeeper and half our starting 11 out of contract next year

Aye, but there's surely no way we should be handing out 2 year contracts....

7 hours ago, Van_damage said:

I did wonder if it would get many putting their names forward as we’ve only had 3 people nominate themselves on the last 3 occasions and all have now served or are still serving on the board. 

Maybe needs to be more detail about exactly what is expected of the candidate as one of the last sets of criteria was to be able to put in 20 hours a week outside of match days. Does seem like a lot of hours to ask someone to give up and will no doubt limit the amount of fans that are able to commit to that. 

The fact that all bar one of the FSS directors have resigned since it's inception suggests it may not purely be an issue of time commitment.

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

Agreed fully. Loan RB solves a whack of squad problems and he might be a better RB than Yeats anyway. No. 1 priority if there is any budget left - even just til January 

I don't know if there's any budget left, if we've overspent or if there may be a few grand left that, in itself wouldn't have been enough to sign another player. If there is anything left however, the money saved from releasing young Pearce, when added to it, may just be enough to attract a loan?

Who knows?